Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:15 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
so youre saying before i ring bells, better to try canvassing at all times of the day and weekends etc....
yes, i have, and we will get the home inspected...but the general quality of the homes depends on the contractor that built the home ....so thats why wanted to make sure people are happy.
This is 20 years ago but I still tell clients to go and drive/walk around a neighborhood on the weekend. Go when people will be out. Early morning 8-10 AM; later afternoon 4-6 PM - just walk around, if someone says hello, feel free to see if they will chat.

If there is a neighborhood park, check it out and sit for a few minutes. Someone may come by - depending on where you are located, there may be people out; otherwise, weather could be a factor.

If there is a HOA, find out who the board members and call them.

I personally was looking for a friendly neighborhood where people knew each other. I did find it, however, I was moving from a different neighborhood where we were younger than the average age and not many people spoke to us. We tried to be friendly but quickly picked up on the vibe that it was not a child friendly place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Back in the 70's I remember a young woman knocking on my door, they were considering buying a
house up the street and wanted to know if we like living there...no problem, they did buy..Nowadays
people may be worried about someone casing the neighborhood but back then I don't think they were.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
It's possibly dangerous to knock on a stranger's door. You never know who that person might be.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
Hello again, Im asking a lot of questions lately as about to put it a strong offer on a home...thank God for this forum!

So my question is, Ive driven around the neighborhood, the actual development or subdivision and the houses seem nice and quiet, not a busy street. But we have to check on quality of build and how tough the HoA laws are to live with... While driving around I havent seen a single soul outside that I could just stop and ask friendly questions...

now im thinking of just stopping by and knocking doors and ringing bells....would people think im too weird? has anyone ever done this and got stares? is it too intrusive?

thanks!
A stranger walking or driving through a neighborhood would be avoided. It is too intrusive to ring bells and you might be reported to the police as suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate