Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:34 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

Point is that would be money that would now be available for other expenses including taxes, insurance, and maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 02:53 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Point is that would be money that would now be available for other expenses including taxes, insurance, and maintenance.
True. But if they can't even scrape together five hundred bucks to see a proper attorney, do you think they can really manage owning this place? (I'll also add that I've read some of the OP's other threads and she is in a wheelchair.)

Old 01-12-2016, 04:48 PM

302 posts, read 474,167 times
We are currently living in the house, and yes, I am in a wheelchair. This particular house is very wheelchair friendly, and is perfect for the mobility issues I have. Although it is old, it is in good shape. It has a fairly new steel roof and new windows. My husband's family lives in the area and can take care of any problems that occur such as plumbing, electrical, etc, as this is what they have done all their lives. His uncle actually moved the house to its current location, and another uncle added the two extra bedrooms on to the back of the house. Many other family members have lived in this house at one time or another.

I have already found affordable insurance, and as we will no longer be paying rent, we can save money every month for taxes, etc. His mother has two other rental houses, and is tired of dealing with being a landlord. She is 78 and not in great health. When she passes away, we will inherit the other two houses as well, which my husband will deal with as rental units. I know that when this occurs it will effect my Medicaid. I am just wanting to know how getting this house NOW might effect it.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
True. But if they can't even scrape together five hundred bucks to see a proper attorney, do you think they can really manage owning this place? (I'll also add that I've read some of the OP's other threads and she is in a wheelchair.)
I don't see how they'd be better off paying rent.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
[i]
As to your medicaid questions, you really should speak to an attorney in your state that is well versed in medicaid law. Your personal residence may be excluded from asset limits, or it may not. The time to find out is BEFORE you do anything.
^^This^^

Attorney. Absolutely need an attorney who practices elder care law and has a good grasp of Medicaid and estate planning in your state.

Don't settle for advice on a public forum (which, as you know, can vary) or a free legal service. Your health insurance is too critical.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
We are currently renting a house from my MIL for $400/mo. The house is worth @$40,000. She owns a couple more properties, and is tired of dealing with the whole landlord stuff.

What "whole landlord stuff" has she grown tired of?

What does she do for you that you will be now doing for yourself?

As she will remain the landlord of the other home, how does gifting a house to you get her out of the landlord stuff?

Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 AM

302 posts, read 474,167 times
The landlord stuff she has grown tired of:

Tenants trashing the house

Late rent payments

Finding new tenants

Doing taxes

Dealing with repair issues

Lawn care

I'm sure there are more. My husband will be able to take a more hands-on approach, such as regular visits to the houses to prevent renter damage. He is fine with mowing the lawns himself, and can also so some repairs/maintenance on his own, which she is unable to do. When she gifts us this house, it will be one less house she needs to worry about. My husband is already starting to help her with the other stuff such as lawn care. She doesn't have to do anything for us at this point, other than paying the tax and insurance.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:29 PM

319 posts, read 346,492 times
If a trust owns the house (maybe Special Needs Trust - don't know enough about your situation), you can still have the house and not legally own it so you won't lose benefits. You also avoid probate this way. Please do consult an attorney. It would be well worth the $500 or so for the attorney even if you do have to pay for it. It will save you tons of money in the long run.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKittehs View Post
The landlord stuff she has grown tired of:

Tenants trashing the house

Late rent payments

Finding new tenants

Doing taxes

Dealing with repair issues

Lawn care

I'm sure there are more. My husband will be able to take a more hands-on approach, such as regular visits to the houses to prevent renter damage. He is fine with mowing the lawns himself, and can also so some repairs/maintenance on his own, which she is unable to do. When she gifts us this house, it will be one less house she needs to worry about. My husband is already starting to help her with the other stuff such as lawn care. She doesn't have to do anything for us at this point, other than paying the tax and insurance.
I'm still confused here. If she is tired of landlord issues, tenants trashing the house, late rent, etc., how would selling you your home help with that?

Seems that you are ideal tenants. You guys don't add to her burdens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate