Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 08:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times

Advertisements

Many don't see it as a symbol of hate, but one of heritage and part of history.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-was-a-choice/

Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,267,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it's on the inside, I'm still going to wonder about that neighbor. I live in a subdivision where no one has Confederate flags flying around. However, when I venture to some nearby areas, I have seen a few Confederate flags. I do not like going to those areas. The kind of environment in that area, the kind of culture in that area, it isn't good. I know what I know based on where I live.

yeah because in neighborhoods with confederate flags there is a lot of gang violence and drive- by shootings.

You know those confederate flag boys like to keep it real! They will bust a cap if you are not one of them....lol

meanwhile in many Black and Latino communities is so loving and peaceful, they love everybody....Jesus in the air!

Old 01-17-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Yep.... I didn't win powerball!!! Its an outrage!!!!

you want government compensation?

Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM

72,978 posts, read 62,563,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
yeah because in neighborhoods with confederate flags there is a lot of gang violence and drive- by shootings.

You know those confederate flag boys like to keep it real! They will bust a cap if you are not one of them....lol

meanwhile in many Black and Latino communities is so loving and peaceful, they love everybody....Jesus in the air!
This discussion has nothing to do with what you brought up. The only reason you bring this up is to deflect from something you disagree with.

I know facts. According to the Articles of Secession, and the Cornerstone Speech, the desire to keep slavery and expand it was a major reason for wanting to secede. The man who helped design one of the Confederate flags (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson) had this to say:

Quote:
As a people, we are fighting to maintain the Heaven-ordained supremacy of the white man over the inferior or colored race; a white flag would thus be emblematical of our cause.[4]… Such a flag…would soon take rank among the proudest ensigns of the nations, and be hailed by the civilized world as the white man's flag.[5]… As a national emblem, it is significant of our higher cause, the cause of a superior race, and a higher civilization contending against ignorance, infidelity, and barbarism. Another merit in the new flag is, that it bears no resemblance to the now infamous banner of the Yankee vandals.

The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States

The desire to keep slavery mentioned in this.

Why Non-Slaveholding Southerners Fought

Slavery was seen by many, even the non-slaveholders.

You can bring up how "Black neighborhoods are violent" places all you want. You have not said anything to convince me to want to live in an area where alot of people fly Confederate flags. Discuss the issue of the Confederate flag, quit bringing other unrelated crap into this. It only shows an inability to confront the topic.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
This discussion has nothing to do with what you brought up. The only reason you bring this up is to deflect from something you disagree with.

I know facts. According to the Articles of Secession, and the Cornerstone Speech, the desire to keep slavery and expand it was a major reason for wanting to secede. The man who helped design one of the Confederate flags (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tappan_Thompson) had this to say:

You can bring up how "Black neighborhoods are violent" places all you want. You have not said anything to convince me to want to live in an area where alot of people fly Confederate flags. Discuss the issue of the Confederate flag, quit bringing other unrelated crap into this. It only shows an inability to confront the topic.

I was being sarcastic about your state of mind that you find troublesome a neighborhood with confederate flags. That is common in the South because of their Culture and Heritage. If they are LAW abiding citizens I could care less if they have a confederate flag, Mexican Flag, British Flag or whatever. Its you who are stereotyping all people who have a confederate flag for your narrow views about history.

In Hispanic Countries there is a saying that goes " EL LADRON JUZGA POR SU CONDICION"......It means the thief judges others by his own condition.

Back to the Civil War:

WIKIPEDIA is your source? is that your American History?

Lets go step by step. Lincoln had NO intention to end slavery in the South when he was in Congress and when he took the oath of President. He didn't personally want to and he didn't have any constitutional powers to do so. He pretty much wanted to send all Africans back to Africa because he said they were an inferior race and they weren't compatible with the American culture. (his words)

The North before the Civil War broke out passed the Corwin Amendment....it pretty much guaranteed slavery in the Constitution if the states wanted it and the federal government had no say or power over it. It pass Congress and the Senate by Super Majorities and Lincoln supported the amendment.....the reason they did this was that they didn't want the South to leave because of slavery. But guess what, the South still left anyway because it wasn't about slavery. it was about taxes and tariffs and federal government land grabbing in the South. The same reasons Washington and Jefferson left the British Crown years earlier, TAXATION!

The Corwin Amendment couldn't pass with just Northern votes alone, they needed the South to vote on it to make it a constitutional right to own slaves in the states forever but like I said the South left and didn't want to return.

Look it up, the CORWIN AMENDMENT .....that is the evidence clearly that the Civil War wasn't fought over slavery. The crap they teach in Public schools is awful.

Abraham Lincoln, in his first inaugural address, said of the Corwin Amendment:
I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution—which amendment, however, I have not seen—has passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States, including that of persons held to service (SLAVERY)....holding such a provision to now be implied constitutional law, I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable. (I'm for it)

The North and Lincoln couldn't care less if the South had black slaves, they were taking money from the taxation and tariffs from the economy of the South.....they just wanted the South to stay in the union for money and control reasons and they didn't want a new country next to them competing with them in stealing the lands in the West from the Natives.

Do you have any idea the amount of LAND the federal government owns in the WEST?.....just in the state of Utah, the Feds owns 80% of the land.

That's why the Civil War was fought.....its sad the stuff they teach at public schools.

Last edited by Hellion1999; 01-17-2016 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-17-2016, 01:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
If it's on the inside, I'm still going to wonder about that neighbor. I live in a subdivision where no one has Confederate flags flying around.
Have you been in every house in your neighborhood, been in everyone's bedrooms? How do you know that no one has a confederate flag anywhere in their house?

Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,921,040 times
Quote:

Hi there green_mariner, I find it surprising that some folks are not more curious about history. For example, refusing to read primary sources? Unwilling to read testamentary evidence? Never even taking a peek at the Constitution of the Confederate States of America? I don't get it.

Although, I think it was Disraeli or someone who said 'you cannot teach a person something it is in his best interests not to know.'

Old 01-17-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Hi there green_mariner, I find it surprising that some folks are not more curious about history. For example, refusing to read primary sources? Unwilling to read testamentary evidence? Never even taking a peek at the Constitution of the Confederate States of America? I don't get it.

Although, I think it was Disraeli or someone who said 'you cannot teach a person something it is in his best interests not to know.'

I find it surprising that some folks ignore Lincoln speeches about Slavery and the Corwin Amendment that was passed by the North with Lincoln support. Lincoln and the North wanted to make slavery a constitutional right and still the South left the union.

the only evidence they want to bring is 1 side and lets ignore the North's actions.

Yeah, Lincoln sent troops to the South to free the slaves because he loved them all!

lets use common sense....if both the North and the South wanted slavery as a constitutional right and both still went to war then DUH!!!! IT WASN'T ABOUT SLAVERY!

Is this hard to understand???......if you and I agree that chocolate ice cream is the best and still fight and argue then is not about chocolate ice cream.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
What an odd question. I'm not going to read through the pages and pages of posts that have nothing to do with a real estate forum - but, I'm vehemently anti-confederate flag and if I wanted the house I'd buy it if I could get a great deal. I'd get the best deal I could get and if it wasn't a great deal for the seller, well, poor them

Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Didn't read he hundreds of replies, but I would absolutely not buy it. I do no wish to do business with anyone who supports the flag and what it stands for.

Never had that instance happen, but when we were doing some remodeling, we had an appointment at a stone yard. When we pulled up, we saw a confederate flag sticker on the window. We never even got out of the car but called them to let them know why they weren't going to get our business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate