Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:49 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
How would you do that, exactly?
Drive around and look. There's a town near where I live where half the houses have either a traitor flag or a tea party flag flying, plus bumper stickers, etc. wouldn't ever be interested in buying in that town. They might be fine people and all but our values don't exactly intersect.

Oh, and this is a town in the North, from an area where we contributed lots of boys to fight the traitors.

I'll never understand what would prompt someone to fly the traitor flag when Betsy Ross gave us such a good example of a winning rebel flag.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
That wouldn't stop me in the least. However, two weeks ago I looked at an old small schoolhouse that had been converted into a home. Loved it. It sits on a spacious corner lot. As I turned the corner & slowly drove past the neighbor's house, I noticed they had a confederate flag flying high and proud. You could tell it had been there a while; a little tattered and slightly faded. They had a few other things in the yard as well.... Let's just say I would never sleep easy living next door to that. And this is in the northeast. I won't debate the whole confederate flag issue...I'm not from the south & wouldn't try to get into someone else's head as to their own reasons or views on flying one. But seeing that in the neighbor's yard just killed my desire to consider the schoolhouse.
Confederate flag in the bedroom of the house I'm buying wouldn't bug me.

Confederate flag flying from the yard next door probably would.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It would be a turn off, and it would speak volumes about the neighbors. If you feel OK to fly a flag that for many, represents hatred, slavery and repression, and you think that your neighbors wouldn't mind, that is probably a place I'd avoid. I don't enjoy intolerant bigots.

Not crazy about the "Don't Tread on Me" flag of the tea party, either. So if a whole neighborhood was OK with that flag, I also might say "let's skip this one".

We fly the American flag and have buntings on our front porch from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

It looks so nice, especially on older homes. And I have my patriotic holidays covered. Flag Day is sometime in June.

I don't fly any controversial flags, and no one in my neighborhood does.

People who fly Rebel flags also might be more difficult to deal with at closing - since they have strong opinions, as evidenced by flying a flag that is not well liked by everyone.

I'll put it to you this way - it would have to be a very special house to deal with people who think that flag is not offensive. And if they know it is offensive - and you don't care - that is worse.

Also, I just don't like negativity.
The irony in this post is simply mind-boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Confederate flag in the bedroom of the house I'm buying wouldn't bug me.

Confederate flag flying from the yard next door probably would.
I would probably feel the same way about any neighbour sporting a "420" flag, a national or cultural flag from a stereotypically obnoxious ethnic group, or any sighting of teenagers dressed like gangbangers or hood rats.

If we are going to discriminate against rednecks, what's wrong with discriminating against everyone else as well?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The irony in this post is simply mind-boggling.
And this is a realtor? I hope I never have the pleasure of dealing with one that has this mentality and prejudice.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM

685 posts, read 719,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Drive around and look. There's a town near where I live where half the houses have either a traitor flag or a tea party flag flying, plus bumper stickers, etc. wouldn't ever be interested in buying in that town. They might be fine people and all but our values don't exactly intersect.

Oh, and this is a town in the North, from an area where we contributed lots of boys to fight the traitors.

I'll never understand what would prompt someone to fly the traitor flag when Betsy Ross gave us such a good example of a winning rebel flag.

I didn't realize the year was 1861. Quick, everybody grab your colt revolver or your Kentucky rifle...we got some fighting words...
Ignorance about the Civil War is so sad...

Old 01-13-2016, 09:25 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And this is a realtor? I hope I never have the pleasure of dealing with one that has this mentality and prejudice.
It wasn't too long ago that someone posted a thread in this forum how they would reconsider buying a home if the neighbours were flying a Puerto Rican flag outside. The thought was (based on that OPs experience with Puerto Ricans) is that IN HIS OPINION, Puerto Ricans tend to be noisy neighbours who are prone to hosting loud outdoor parties to all hours of the night. He was promptly branded a bigot by many of the posters who replied to his thread.

So... How is this thread any different, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
So how do you feel about your precious "Old Glory" being a symbol of treason against the great British Empire?

Hypocrite much?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 AM

685 posts, read 719,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have that flag hanging in my garage. I'm the nicest guy you'll ever meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I sure as hell wouldn't. Likely trashy rednecks, and they tend to live in groups.

BostonMike7..... I would challenge convextech to a duel... I believe he has insulted you.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
BostonMike7..... I would challenge convextech to a duel... I believe he has insulted you.

BostonMike's flag is the Don't Tread on Me flag, not the confederate flag. Keep up if you're going to flame.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:45 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
BostonMike's flag is the Don't Tread on Me flag, not the confederate flag. Keep up if you're going to flame.
And for the record I want nothing to do with the Tea Party, so it irks me when that flag is now known as "the tea party flag"

Old 01-13-2016, 09:46 AM

912 posts, read 915,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Thats like not buying a house due to a tacky mailbox.
I don't know what kind of ship you're running down there in Florida, but my mail is too good for a tacky mailbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate