Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times

Advertisements

Here is the only tip I can give and it comes from personal experience. When you finally do put your home on the market and you start getting offers don't be surprised that the offers are below what you think your home is worth.

I turned down offers because I thought I knew more than the Realtors.

Well one year later I finally sold for 100K less than I was offered the year before.

Shows how smart I was.

Listen to the Realtors they know more about the market than you ever will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin_85 View Post
Live in Southern Illinois where real estate is cheap.
Wanting to move to CO in June at the latest
Colorado is not cheap. Median/Mean is $350+K.
Very strong sellers' market. My daughter's house went on the MLS this morning. 15 showings and 2 offers. 2-5% over asking.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:18 PM

86 posts, read 89,830 times
I know Colorado isn't cheap. We aren't looking to buy anything out there for awhile...maybe like 5 years out. I've been researching CO since 2014...it went from us being able to rent in the Denver area to not even being close to affordable for us. I moved my research to Colorado Springs, which for the moment is still doable, and we will be a 60K - 70K minimum household income.

I wish I could sell only after a day on the market! Unfortunately Southern Illinois is not a happening place...or Illinois in general.

Last edited by Erin_85; 01-15-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 04:01 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice! I was going to provide pics of the outside but can't figure it out. Lol we've powerwashed and it looks better but not good. It's pretty rough looking. My husband doesn't like working on our house when he's worked on houses all day...but we'll get it there. There are some relatively inexpensive things we can do that will help, but I guess I'll get the ball rolling and start interviewing realtors.
Interviewing realtors is a great place to start. Not only will you likely get some good advice while you select the one that you think will do the best job of selling your home, you will be alerting a number of agents and agencies that your home will be coming on the market.

Would also recommend that you and the kids start working on serious decluttering right away. It will be easier to finish the reno projects without all the stuff in the way.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice! I was going to provide pics of the outside but can't figure it out. Lol we've powerwashed and it looks better but not good. It's pretty rough looking. My husband doesn't like working on our house when he's worked on houses all day...but we'll get it there. There are some relatively inexpensive things we can do that will help, but I guess I'll get the ball rolling and start interviewing realtors.
Your agent will give you suggestions on what to do to the house, too.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:50 PM

Had a realtor come out today. Not hiring this one! She did not sell herself at all when I told her we were going to interview at least one more realtor. And...she did a comparable market analysis on active listings....now from everything I know, a market analysis is done with recently sold homes. She got kinda snooty when I asked if we should have an appraisal done and said that her CMA was basically an appraisal. I call BS! I think we are going to pay for an appraisal after we get the house "pretty" and go from there.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Had a realtor come out today. Not hiring this one! She did not sell herself at all when I told her we were going to interview at least one more realtor. And...she did a comparable market analysis on active listings....now from everything I know, a market analysis is done with recently sold homes. She got kinda snooty when I asked if we should have an appraisal done and said that her CMA was basically an appraisal. I call BS! I think we are going to pay for an appraisal after we get the house "pretty" and go from there.
That's why you start early.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:45 AM

Is there any downside to getting an official appraisal?

Old 01-23-2016, 11:23 AM

I can't see any downside to an appraisal other than we might not get the number we want. But at least we know what we can sell it for and what a bank would approve a mortgage for, for the buyers.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Appraisals for the same house can be for different prices, depending on what comps the appraiser uses.

The mortgage company always uses their own appraiser. But don't know if a lower, obtained-by-seller appraisal will make any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate