Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I live in a wildfire risk area of CA for insurance purposes.

The insurance companies that have policies look for reasons to cancel them. They state things like a tree that is 3 houses away and not on your property is too large or the road is not acceptable, even though its a County road.

Many people now get their insurance through non-admitted sources such as Lloyd's of London.

And when you can get insurance the rates are horrid. Mine is $3000 a year with $10k deduction and insured at 40% coverage.

Real sad situation.

But, yep everyone will insure your car.
We had a major flood here. We had insurance company's that started messing, not paying much, trying to get out of paying. Jerking their customers around.
Our local folks started calling our state insurance commissionaire, the insurance commissionaire demanded an audience, head guy had to fly in...Rumor has it..they were told to get it together, or possibly not be able to sell insurance in our state again. Made a huge difference.

So, if it were me I would be on the horn to my state level Insurance Commissionaire about what you've described. Hope it helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:41 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Something similar happen to us after we closed this past October. The insurance company came back and said the porches on the home and the rental cabin needed handrails put up and we had to install central a/c & heat. It's a mountain cabin, it's not going to have central a/c & heat, so they cancelled us. We did find a new company who still required the rails which cost us about $10K, but we did go with the log rails to match so materials were pricey.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:50 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Shop other insurance companies. Many do the inspection beforehand. I once was canceled for no deadbolt locks. Shop, it will pay off. But before you do, get a roofer to inspect your roof for insurance purposes. (And say you need written documentation of the inspection). Send it to your insurance company while shipping. This way, if asked, you can say the current company is bat guano crazy.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:50 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
What did your home inspector say about the roof?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Our insurer did an inspection, but did at least notify us ahead of time. They threatened to cancel due to the "unpermitted installation of a wood stove". We had no such thing, they saw the vent pipe from the gas furnace and water heater, which has over the years lost it's paint near the top and thought it was a woodstove chimney. A simple call to my local agent resolved the problem.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:09 AM

268 posts, read 345,101 times
When I sold a house here in CO. they made me get a new roof prior to the sale.

I had "t-lock" shingles and those are no longer allowed by insurance companies. Insurance for the new owner would not have been allowed with the old t-lock shingle roof.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 AM

268 posts, read 345,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
We had a major flood here. We had insurance company's that started messing, not paying much, trying to get out of paying. Jerking their customers around.
Our local folks started calling our state insurance commissionaire, the insurance commissionaire demanded an audience, head guy had to fly in...Rumor has it..they were told to get it together, or possibly not be able to sell insurance in our state again. Made a huge difference.

So, if it were me I would be on the horn to my state level Insurance Commissionaire about what you've described. Hope it helps
I was a Commercial Underwriter for Farmers Insurance and finally quite the insurance business a few years ago.

The primary purpose of insurance companies is to NOT PAY CLAIMS!!

Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth and that is why I quit the business.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:26 AM

902 posts, read 1,105,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Does that hold true in Florida even if the home owner used impact-resistant 40 year shingles, or a metal roof? Because if the insurance companies are going to insist those products be replaced every 15 years, MAN is that going to be expensive!

It would be deeply ironic if rigid insurance industry rules resulted in people actually being forced into re-roofing with inferior, less durable materials. So much for cost savings!
No, the insurance companies "beef" is with shingle roofs over 15 years old

you can have a 100 year old metal or tile roof and they have no problem with that

I do not know how most insurance companies treat impact-resistant 40 year shingles, I doubt they recognize any difference once they are 15 years old ..... shingles are shingles etc

Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Shouldn't they have performed the inspection before closing? Now that I own the house, I lost the chance to further negotiate down the price.
Maybe your inspector should have said something? Sounds like he screwed up.....

Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM

774 posts, read 745,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCurtisEstes View Post
I was a Commercial Underwriter for Farmers Insurance and finally quite the insurance business a few years ago.

The primary purpose of insurance companies is to NOT PAY CLAIMS!!

Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth and that is why I quit the business.

Sounds to me like everyone needs to shop the Cincinnati Insurance Companies. Their claim philosophy is make the customer happy so they tell others. They figured out that the amount of revenue lost from customers who cancel their policies over skimpy claim payouts is way more than paying a claim in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate