Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 AM

135 posts, read 165,412 times

Advertisements

I relocated across the country for work about 18 months ago. After speaking with an agent then, it was determined it was not in my best interest to list the house and we would wait until the market picked up. Fast forward to now, trying to work with the same realtor from the other side of the country. Within hours, she had the signed contract, completed disclosure statement, copy of the deed, and other needed paperwork. I also sent her photos. Please keep in mind, she had already seen the house, knew the layout, condition, ect. I then sent the keys via FedEx so she had those 2 days later. Now, 2 weeks later, the house is still not on the MLS. I realize it's been over a year, what's a couple more weeks, and my contract with her has a specific end date, so the longer it takes to list it, the less time she will have to sell it which is her problem, not mine.

I sent an email a week ago to which she said she was working on it. The email I sent yesterday did not receive a response. What could possibly be considered a legitimate delay at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:35 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw51882 View Post
What could possibly be considered a legitimate delay at this point?
That is something you could simply ask her. Communication is key.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
2 weeks is too long as you know. Time to call her broker.

If she happens to be the broker, time to call her. Forget the email. Tell her it's up there tomorrow or you want to end the contract immediately.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
My MLS does not take kindly to pocket listings, even when the seller prefers not to be in the MLS.

Primary reason a listing agent would not submit the listing to the MLS is to prevent competition for the property and do so to protect his/ her own self interests.

Submitting a listing to the MLS takes minutes, not weeks.

Time to accelerate.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:44 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw51882 View Post

I sent an email a week ago to which she said she was working on it. The email I sent yesterday did not receive a response. What could possibly be considered a legitimate delay at this point?

Nothing, pick up the phone and call the broker. Follow up with an email to document.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:07 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
She may be sick. She may be dead. She may be a bad agent. She might have been kidnapped by aliens.

Call the broker and explain your situation. S/he should take care of it PDQ.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I would be picking up the phone and be on a conference call between her and her broker. IF she is the broker I would give her 24 hrs to get it listed or she would be fired for incompetence. Two weeks is two weeks of nobody knowing about your house. She could be passing up buyers left and right.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
You could see what she's doing on fb or other social media. Just out of interest...like condolences etc. Even then you'd need to tell the broker you want someone else assigned.

Hope you have another copy of those keys.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:28 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Where is this house? Not that waiting for 2 weeks is good whatsoever, but if the house is where all the bad weather has been, all you're doing is allowing days on the market to tick by without any activity.

Read the listing agreement you signed. It should say in there how many days she has to get it into the MLS. Many MLS's will impose a fine on the agent if they are not inputting listings timely or updating statuses of listings timely.

Don't rely on email. Pick up the phone and call!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:07 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,982 times
Did the market actually pick back up in the 18 months that you waited?

Do you feel you made the right decision, or should you have just unloaded that year and a half ago?

Side note: Contrary to the post above you should indeed continue to rely on e-mail so that you have a document trail. Using the phone is fine once in awhile, but if that's your only method of communication it's a good way to get hosed by a less-than-honest agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate