Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times

Advertisements

I would get a separate termite inspection. Air quality? Is he qualified to even do such a test? What exactly would he be screening for? I personally don't even like home inspectors all that much, I prefer a high risk inspection on plumbing, electrical (and structural if indicated) by experts actually licensed in those fields. I've caught too many mistakes with these inspectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 AM

28 posts, read 24,739 times
I've only ever referred to Radon test as Air Quality test, nothing to do with mold.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:11 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
I hope you have a good realtor to guide you through purchasing and closing. There are several inspection possibilities and I understand in most cases whether the buyer or seller pays can be negotiated.

Licensed home inspector is our preference. You can always ask an experienced friend during the due diligence period when one does a home inspection....but it's much wiser to get a professional one. They can be more sure of who else you need to call for further inspection...engineer, etc.

Licensed termite (and it's advised you use a licensed termite company approved by the Texas Real Estate Commission.) Sometimes a homeowner will have a contract with a bug company for regular spraying and inspections throughout the year so the seller might pay and use his guy. Again...licensed though.

Well and septic, if your seller has those.

Radon...yes, even if there is no basement. In some states, the licensed home inspector is licensed (these things are all about the licensing) to place a radon tester in certain spots and to pick it up and read it several hours later...day or so. Then any remediation or mitigation comes into play and that is done by a professional company that specializes in that. It is costly, so generally one wants the seller to pay for his radon. But it can be negotiated and you should also decide if any remediation ....which is ongoing in the sense that there will be something placed outside your home to continually let the radon gas out... will look unattractive in your eyes. Not that it's bad looking. Just that one time out of many I saw a set up that I would not have wanted personally.

You might also get a home warranty, which, again, you or the seller can pay for. It can last 1 year or 3...depends on what the companies there are making available. Do check what is covered. Read, don't take the word of anyone who makes you feel all is covered. There are some exceptions.

Have you already contracted to purchase? I have never heard of another state in my experience that offers the termination option with a fee. Interesting.

At any rate, be sure your realtor is guiding you through the process.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Anybody that says a radon test kit is some kind of costly expense is almost certainly trying to make a massive profit off unsuspecting newbies -- RADON GAS TEST KIT RA100 by ProLab FREE Shipping $11.52

Old 01-26-2016, 04:46 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Radon tests are cheap but mitigation can be very expensive.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Anybody that says a radon test kit is some kind of costly expense is almost certainly trying to make a massive profit off unsuspecting newbies -- RADON GAS TEST KIT RA100 by ProLab FREE Shipping $11.52
Test kit, inexpensive.

Mitigation, very expensive.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Not really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Test kit, inexpensive.

Mitigation, very expensive.
The EPA has a guide to doing it: Document Display | NSCEP | US EPA

Get the fan -- Suncourt Radon Mitigation Fan Kit 4 in. Fan with 4 in. to 4 in. Couplers and Air Pressure Indicator-RDK04 - The Home Depot

Some pipe -- GENOVA DWV Pipe,PVC,White,3 in.,NSF Certified - PVC Pipe Fittings - 34CE05|60031 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Rent a core drill -- https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equip...0-amp-4-speed/

Very simple.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:15 PM

Thanks. But at least in some states once radon is found during a buyer's home inspection everyone I have known buying such a home in my experience wants it done professionally or has to have it done professionally by state law by professionally certified, licensed firms. There are some areas where there are only one or two licensed mitigation companies and they are kept busy.

Actually, one can do the work oneself on one's own home in some states I'm familiar with. Unless the seller wants to keep the home and do the work himself. And then approach the buyer afterwards and hope the buyer who knows it's a diy is willing to have another professional company come out and check the seller's work.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:02 PM

92 posts, read 116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
hi everyone, just wanted to ask for some advice as a first time homebuyer. planned for a home inspection tommorrow that will cost approx 400 for baseline in a house built in 1950s. the inspector is asking if we were interested in a termite inspection and air quality inspection for mold and stuff which would add an additional $250. is this something we should also add to the inspection or can we forgo?

thanks
Curious as to what company you are using.
For sure yes for the WDI.
I would want more info on what he is testing as far as "Air quality".

Old 01-26-2016, 11:05 PM

92 posts, read 116,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
I would get a separate termite inspection. Air quality? Is he qualified to even do such a test? What exactly would he be screening for? I personally don't even like home inspectors all that much, I prefer a high risk inspection on plumbing, electrical (and structural if indicated) by experts actually licensed in those fields. I've caught too many mistakes with these inspectors.
The poster is in Texas. Our inspectors are all licensed through the Texas Real estate Commission.
It looks like in Hawaii you don't have a state license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate