Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:14 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times

Advertisements

Yes, and nowadays they seem to be paying more and more attention to the condition of the amenities, the clubhouse, the pool, etc. I guess because those condos built in their popular time in the 80s means older amenities and they want to be sure they are acceptable now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM

Look up your condo name here and see if it's already approved by FHA. In some cases, I've seen where they were approved and then expired.

https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/condlook.cfm

Old 01-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Here you'll find what FHA basically looks for in their appraisal:

FHA Appraisal Guidelines in 2015 - What the Appraiser Looks for

Old 01-26-2016, 12:28 PM

For an idea on VA, go here and page down just a short piece to A Closer Look At Minimum Property Requirements:

https://www.veteransunited.com/educa.../va-appraisal/

With this type of info on FHA and VA you can check to be sure your condo unit meets requirements. HOWever, first make sure your complex is on the FHA approved list. Depending on place and time, it can take a while to get on the FHA list before the loan would go through.

You would also want to follow...or have your realtor follow...closely the progress of the loan.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Bought several properties using VA loans (husband and I are both vets) and have sold to VA buyers as well. Closings were all 30 -40 days, no hiccups

Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Honestly, when I sold my condo, I steered clear of FHA buyers and took the conventional offer. Was hassle-free and smooth.

My condo was only 5 years old, so i'm sure it would have passed FHA inspection, but I didn't want to deal with any potential BS.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:43 PM

465 posts, read 613,721 times
We bought with VA never had issues. Everything was on time. We also were prepared and had ALL documentation submitted prior to ever making an offer so if there are any delays because of paperwork I blame the buyer, they weren't prepared or the particular lender representative kept losing documents. Our current house is not VA loan and I had to submit the same darn documents multiple times because the broker couldn't find them. It was ridiculous at times. Luckily we were building and had plenty of time.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:42 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times
My condo is an older rental to condo conversion that took place in 1979.

We have Laverne and Shirley type units on lower level called "Garden Apartments". Meaning they are ranch style units that are around 4 steps down from street. None of the lower level units can ever be FHA eligible.

Windows are hard to get out of. But real egress windows wont ever exist as units are in a flood zone. Building was built in 1960s before flood insurance existed. And flood insurance has a loophole for PRE- FIRM buildings. Pre Flood Insurance Rate Maps they are exempt from current building codes.

And there are a lot of basement condos, Brooklyn, Boston and Chicago have them and none meet current building codes.

Which means in a 100% total from fire or flood the building dept may not allow it to be rebuilt at all. So no one wants to mortgage it. Personally they are scary. In the blizzard last week snow was over their windows and most rooms were pitch black.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
I purchased my house with an FHA loan. It was a HUD foreclosure and I was still able to close in under 6 weeks.

I work on refi loans and the process is not any slower with FHA or VA versus conventional mortgages. I know things in purchase can be different, but if the buyer is pre-approved, I really can't see how it will slow things up that much.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
I sold my house this month to buyers with a VA loan using USAA. The inspection went fine, but the appraisal came in low by $2000. We had to rearrange the numbers some so that we paid less in closing costs to make up for the lower purchase price for their 100% financing to go through. The bank couldn't get their stuff together in time for closing and delayed closing several times. They were non-communicative to the lawyer trying to prepare for closing. Eventually we closed about 12 days late. Both realtors were very frustrated with the bank. So maybe the issues were more with USAA than that it was a VA loan specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate