Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,022,679 times

Advertisements

In light of one of my recent posts, I'd like to ask this question:

How many transplants are in the South as of right now? Are the numbers in the hundred thousands? millions even? Transplants don't have to be just Northerners, they can be from the West, or even another country. (if possible, stats should not include Southerners..since they aren't technically transplants). How many Southerners move North? Pacific Northwest to South? California to the South? North to South? I need good estimates, so please be honest.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,678,645 times
The 1st question is how many generations are you going back? Are you talking transplants in the past 5 years? 10?

Are you counting immigrants too?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 PM

631 posts, read 2,441,330 times
That's a tough one to answer. Where would that information come from?

I know where the majority of my buyers come from and where they don't.
I'm in NM. What do you call that? Southwest?
I don't hear from the Dakota's or Montana. I don't think anyone lives there.

I do sometimes hear from the deep south like Ms, Ar, and Al but they don't like land use restrictions. They want to bring the "clan" and build a bunch of houses on one lot which you can't do.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:31 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,022,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
The 1st question is how many generations are you going back? Are you talking transplants in the past 5 years? 10?

Are you counting immigrants too?
I think since 2000 would be provide a more accurate reading..Immigrants do not count.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 AM

206 posts, read 1,133,194 times
There's saying here in Florida.... "Everybody is from somewhere else" Finding a TRUE Native Floridian is the needle in the haystack. Seriously, when I moved here, from the northeast my neighbors consisted of a families from NY,CT, Puerto Rico, Phillipines, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. We were not close to any military bases either !

You might try contacting the Moving Van companies. I do know that they charge more to move in / out of Florida depending on the time of year. They know how many trucks are rented in each state and where they are going to.

Last edited by bcfarmlady; 02-08-2008 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: adding info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate