Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 11:01 AM

339 posts, read 665,194 times

Advertisements

Considering we want to buy in New England, it is near impossible to find homes in our price range built after 1978. We get varying opinions from "as long as the kids' lead levels are checked annually you'll be fine" to "the homeowner did renovations so it's likely all the lead is gone now" to "don't ever move to a home that could have lead, it is deadly and will poison your kids"

I know that upon putting an offer on a home we have the option to have the home tested for lead but we were told if we do that, the following could happen: 1) if it tests positive, the seller doesn't have to agree to remediate and the deal falls through. 2) if we move forward with the sale then we HAVE to de-lead the property in order to legally be able to live there

Can anyone share their experience? If we opt to only look at homes built after 1978 we might as well stop our home search because they're so scarce....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
Considering we want to buy in New England, it is near impossible to find homes in our price range built after 1978. We get varying opinions from "as long as the kids' lead levels are checked annually you'll be fine" to "the homeowner did renovations so it's likely all the lead is gone now" to "don't ever move to a home that could have lead, it is deadly and will poison your kids"

I know that upon putting an offer on a home we have the option to have the home tested for lead but we were told if we do that, the following could happen: 1) if it tests positive, the seller doesn't have to agree to remediate and the deal falls through. 2) if we move forward with the sale then we HAVE to de-lead the property in order to legally be able to live there

Can anyone share their experience? If we opt to only look at homes built after 1978 we might as well stop our home search because they're so scarce....
I guess I don't have small children, so I can't exactly comment on this, but I have a house from the 1920's. Per the VA guidelines with buying this house certain walls and paint needed to be scraped off and repainted since it was leadbased. Pretty much the entire interior of the house has new paint on it. I don't think it's been checked for lead levels, but I can't say. Isn't it only dangerous if a child goes up and actually puts their tongue on the wall? And if it's painted over, where is the risk? I'm sure I'm missing something here, but how serious is lead if it's painted over?

Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM

194 posts, read 237,987 times
If it's painted over, there is nothing to really worry about but that is my opinion. If your child is prone to picking paint off of the walls and eating well.....

Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
A lot of people lived in pre 1978 homes, raised kids and are just fine.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:15 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Isn't it only dangerous if a child goes up and actually puts their tongue on the wall? And if it's painted over, where is the risk? I'm sure I'm missing something here, but how serious is lead if it's painted over?
Even licking it might not do any harm. I think the paint has to be ingested. A bigger issue with kids and lead is the water(from lead pipes). If I was buying an old house I'd have that checked.

But to answer the question, I bought a 1970 townhouse and have kids and we're all doing great

Old 02-03-2016, 11:25 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Even licking it might not do any harm. I think the paint has to be ingested. A bigger issue with kids and lead is the water(from lead pipes). If I was buying an old house I'd have that checked.

But to answer the question, I bought a 1970 townhouse and have kids and we're all doing great
Lead pipes haven't been used in over 85 years for pressurized water supply lines, even the solder used on copper pipe does not contain lead.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We bought a 1926 house when our daughter was 1.5 years old.
The lead paint definitely affected her intellectual capability. She did not go to Harvard, but "settled" for Columbia Univeristy in the City of New York.
If only we had...

Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 AM

685 posts, read 719,072 times
I grew up in a home that was built in 1957...don't see any harmful effects from living in it.(Some people MAY say otherwise.....).
We never chewed on the walls or anything. If you have a little "gnawer" then I would be kind of worried....but they would mean you have other issues.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:30 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Bought a home from 1960, didn't even bother testing.

Just signed a lead paint disclosure and that was about it.

Looking around in the house at how it's setup, i'm not too worried. Plus our kids don't eat paint chips....not that there are any.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:56 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Lead pipes haven't been used in over 85 years for pressurized water supply lines, even the solder used on copper pipe does not contain lead.
85 years isn't that long ago. There's some really old houses/neighborhoods out there. I didn't mean to imply it was a big concern. Just that I would be more concerned with that than lead paint if I was in a really old house. My kids have to drink water. I doubt they'll be eating paint off the wall(although they do some pretty dumb things)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate