Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:57 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So.... This is a success story because you bought the house?

Yanno, St. Joe makes as much sense as a LOT of other legends in real estate, like Zillow....
You could put it that way.

I would prefer to think that my reasons had more to do with the sellers seeing reality on price. This was back in 2008, and everything was overpriced and still selling in days. This particular house had been on the market for months, and needed a lot of repairs. Original pricing did not reflect the needed work.

The house came to my attention when they dropped the price by $50k, and I offered another $40k less than that.

Did the statue cause me to make the decision I did? Did it cause them to accept a price almost $100k under their asking? Or was it simply a piece of plastic and they sold because they needed to, and I purchased a house in a town that I had been targeting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You could put it that way.

I would prefer to think that my reasons had more to do with the sellers seeing reality on price. This was back in 2008, and everything was overpriced and still selling in days. This particular house had been on the market for months, and needed a lot of repairs. Original pricing did not reflect the needed work.

The house came to my attention when they dropped the price by $50k, and I offered another $40k less than that.

Did the statue cause me to make the decision I did? Did it cause them to accept a price almost $100k under their asking? Or was it simply a piece of plastic and they sold because they needed to, and I purchased a house in a town that I had been targeting?
I really only put it that way in an attempt to make your Fun Story on-topic for the thread.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times
Here's a fun story.

Had a client last year who unbeknownst to me had buried a St Joe statue. They had moved out of state before closing

After closing they asked me to retrieve it for them. Well, why not.? I asked the new owners for permission to dig. They were tickled by this and agreed.

The real challenge was figuring out where it was buried as the former owners were less than clear. I showed with my shovel. The new owners came out with their own shovels. This went on for an hour or so. We were all laughing so hard and agreed this was one of the silliest endeavors we had participated in. We eventually located it. I cleaned it up and sent it overnight end it to the former owners.

A few months later, out of the blue, the current owners and I recieved $5000 checks from the former owners for our trouble and a story about how the cheap plastic statue had been in the family for years.

Needless to say we were all shocked.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Here's a fun story.

Had a client last year who unbeknownst to me had buried a St Joe statue. They had moved out of state before closing

After closing they asked me to retrieve it for them. Well, why not.? I asked the new owners for permission to dig. They were tickled by this and agreed.

The real challenge was figuring out where it was buried as the former owners were less than clear. I showed with my shovel. The new owners came out with their own shovels. This went on for an hour or so. We were all laughing so hard and agreed this was one of the silliest endeavors we had participated in. We eventually located it. I cleaned it up and sent it overnight end it to the former owners.

A few months later, out of the blue, the current owners and I recieved $5000 checks from the former owners for our trouble and a story about how the cheap plastic statue had been in the family for years.

Needless to say we were all shocked.
And YOU immediately bought a $5000 truckload of St. Joes for future use.

I knew you would have a good one, MAM!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:52 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,291,796 times
It worked for us. Lots of showings no offers no interest. Dug in st Joseph statue and sold within a week

Had prayed in Sunday school too

Would do again

Old 02-08-2016, 03:32 PM

513 posts, read 643,423 times
I used St. Joe as well, for me and my parents. I am an non-practicing Catholic, but I bought one off Amazon after my house went on the market. A week later, we had two offers.
My parents put their house on the market during the Fall and had difficulty selling it. I bought them a St. Joe statue and an offer came within a couple of weeks.
Weird story-we buried ours right by the for sale sign. On the day of the close, my husband went to dig it up. It was nowhere to be found. Not certain if someone took it or what. It was buried pretty far down, so I would be surprised if someone dug it up and took it, but who knows?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:30 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,296,770 times
I have never heard of this, but when/if I list my home, I may try it. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM

41,878 posts, read 74,938,731 times
A former neighbor did it; she had a contract in three weeks and the sale went off without a hitch.

Our houses were on the market at the same time; about the time I thought about buying a statue -- after a contract fell through -- I got another contract.

Maybe next time ...

Old 02-08-2016, 05:19 PM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times
I've heard that if you bury an eye of newt, three hairs from a marmot and a wisp of willow, slightly bent, that it works just as well. I've never tried it, though. Results may vary by state...of mind. Or so I've heard.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,707,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I've heard that if you bury an eye of newt, three hairs from a marmot and a wisp of willow, slightly bent, that it works just as well. I've never tried it, though. Results may vary by state...of mind. Or so I've heard.
We don't use marmot hair here. We use tarpon scales. Works better with our sandy soil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate