Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:50 AM

163 posts, read 273,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Very valid points.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
So has the HOA said what the penalty is for these "violations"? Is the first round a "scared straight" warning letter or were their actual monetary amounts published?

From a high level view, here is my guess of how this transpired (with a positive intent). Person out walking German Shepherd (or dog that looks like German Shepherd) lets dog poop and doesn't clean it up. Multiple neighbors at a distance see it but do not confront owner. Later they decide they want to file a complaint because there is dog poop everywhere. They dont know the owner so they start asking around to other neighbors if they know someone who owns a German Shepherd. One of those people identifies you - "my neighbors just adopted a German Shepherd", they live in unit 1234. Now your name is attached to the complaint.

Same deal with your car. Does it look similar to other models in the community? [And similar could be "silver sedan", not Toyota Camry with license plate ABCDEF]

If further action is required (e.g. they are trying to fine you), then ask for proof. If its just a warning, then you can either ignore it and go about your life or write them a reply explaining your side of the story.

I understand the aspect of being singled out by HOA, a bunch of us were recently cited for allowing algae to grow on our roofs. At the time, there were no fines involved, but they did get around to sending out second "reminder" notices.
I suppose it's the first warning. The manager first said that they had wanted to release a memo but instead decided to write letter directly to "nip it in the bud".

I'll just wait for the photo (even if it's inconclusive) and the manager's reaction to the "poop report" I sent him. I'm as miffed about the poop in community as everyone else (and I told him that).

As for the car, I'm thinking it's entirely possible that the manager was trying to "fish" for information from us (trying to get me to identify the vehicle owner) of the car parked on the guest space. When I told him, "I feel like we're being singled out!" he said that the car issue was just brought up in passing. Maybe he was expecting me to say, "that car is not mine, it's Mr. XYZ's!" . I'm not about to do that (the owner of the car is a pleasant couple). I am tempted to inform my neighbor (who owns the car) directly that I was accused of parking on the guest spot as a courtesy. I don't know.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:39 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry, but that's way over the top. Did you even ask the OP if the dog is neutered? I have two large male labradoodles, they were neutered when they were puppies they are just big cuddle bugs. There is nothing inherently vicious about German Shepherds, I've known many people who have them for family dogs and they present no danger to anyone. The OP has a rescue, they are working with a trainer and they control their dog on leash, so why all the outrage over their situation? Seems like they are dealing with it just fine and the last thing they need is someone wagging their finger scolding them.
Gosh! Two labradoodles. That makes you god's expert on German Shepherds.

What are the defining traits of the breed? Protective. Territorial. The males are often aggressive. I know quite a few of them. The poorly trained males are the dogs that go through the screen porch and go after the mailman or the rat dog that got loose.

The purpose of an HOA is to protect the other owners. Humans > dogs. You helicopter in a known problem breed like that and you're guilty until proven innocent. The dog drags you around the neighborhood every day and your neighbors are getting images of dog bites or their rat dog being eaten alive. Like I said, what the heck was the OP thinking? When you buy into a Stepford Wives community, this is what happens. A friendly, perfectly trained Shepherd? Sure. That is not the situation here.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:55 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why don't you just cool out and wait until you see the photos? Seriously - this sounds like a case of mistaken identity.

PS - get the dog some professional obedience training, preferably including his canine good citizenship certificate.
I think it may be a case of mistaken identity.

I don't see how one pic could prove you didn't pick up poop. Would that be a pic of you and your dog walking away, with a steaming pile of poop in the direct walk line behind you? Unlikely.

Likewise, simply tell the truth that you NEVER have let your dog off leash even once, so ask for proof, and mention that you know there cannot be, since you have never done that.

Same thing for the car. If someone was so upset that they'd report it, and claim you have done that more than once, then they surely took a pic of your car there. Tell the board that, and then inform them that you own only one car, parked in your garage, and you've not have any occasion to free up your garage lately, like storage or overnight guests.

It's possible it's one or two people who are targeting you. That happens. But the truth, and the HOA board's reliance on EVIDENCE should be no problem for you.

Old 02-15-2016, 02:41 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Ask for a copy of the photo. If you and/or your dog isn't in it, problem solved. Also ask for a photo of your car parked in the guest spot. If it's not your car, that can be easily proven by finding out who the plates are registered to.
I will also add that you should make these requests in writing via certified mail. Make sure you have a paper trail.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffd View Post
gosh! Two labradoodles. That makes you god's expert on german shepherds.

What are the defining traits of the breed? Protective. Territorial. The males are often aggressive. I know quite a few of them. The poorly trained males are the dogs that go through the screen porch and go after the mailman or the rat dog that got loose.

The purpose of an hoa is to protect the other owners. Humans > dogs. You helicopter in a known problem breed like that and you're guilty until proven innocent. The dog drags you around the neighborhood every day and your neighbors are getting images of dog bites or their rat dog being eaten alive. Like i said, what the heck was the op thinking? When you buy into a stepford wives community, this is what happens. A friendly, perfectly trained shepherd? Sure. That is not the situation here.
d

Old 02-15-2016, 06:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Gosh! Two labradoodles. That makes you god's expert on German Shepherds.

The purpose of an HOA is to protect the other owners. Humans > dogs. You helicopter in a known problem breed like that and you're guilty until proven innocent. The dog drags you around the neighborhood every day and your neighbors are getting images of dog bites or their rat dog being eaten alive. Like I said, what the heck was the OP thinking? When you buy into a Stepford Wives community, this is what happens. A friendly, perfectly trained Shepherd? Sure. That is not the situation here.
Perhaps you could be a little less condescending and hot headed with your responses......maybe?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Gosh! Two labradoodles. That makes you god's expert on German Shepherds. What are the defining traits of the breed? Protective. Territorial. The males are often aggressive. I know quite a few of them. The poorly trained males are the dogs that go through the screen porch and go after the mailman or the rat dog that got loose. The purpose of an HOA is to protect the other owners. Humans > dogs. You helicopter in a known problem breed like that and you're guilty until proven innocent. The dog drags you around the neighborhood every day and your neighbors are getting images of dog bites or their rat dog being eaten alive. Like I said, what the heck was the OP thinking? When you buy into a Stepford Wives community, this is what happens. A friendly, perfectly trained Shepherd? Sure. That is not the situation here.
I've had dogs all my life, including a GSD at one time. You are making claims that are just not true. And no, it is not the duty of an HOA to protect humans from dogs. HOA's generally publish a disclaimer in their CCOA's that plainly states that issues with animals, either wild or domestic are not the responsibility of the HOA, but rather the regional animal control services.

Before you dig this hole any deeper why don't you find some CCOA's that promise protection of residents from animals and publish the link here for us.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've had dogs all my life, including a GSD at one time. You are making claims that are just not true. And no, it is not the duty of an HOA to protect humans from dogs. HOA's generally publish a disclaimer in their CCOA's that plainly states that issues with animals, either wild or domestic are not the responsibility of the HOA, but rather the regional animal control services.

Before you dig this hole any deeper why don't you find some CCOA's that promise protection of residents from animals and publish the link here for us.
We don't know anything about GSD's, even if we owned/own one, that doesn't mean anything. He is, on the other hand, an expert on this "territorial and protective" breed. More so, he's met my untrained male dog and he's personally seen him bite and attack the mailman. Maybe he was the mailman?! Not sure...

Old 02-16-2016, 08:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayDiva View Post
We don't know anything about GSD's, even if we owned/own one, that doesn't mean anything. He is, on the other hand, an expert on this "territorial and protective" breed. More so, he's met my untrained male dog and he's personally seen him bite and attack the mailman. Maybe he was the mailman?! Not sure...
It doesn't matter. You're the one who dragged home a German Shepherd and are now in an undeclared war with your HOA. If they decide they don't want your dog, you're going to be getting an endless stream of HOA fines, dog officers knocking on your door, court dates, the whole 9 yards. If you'd dragged home a 5 pound rat dog, this wouldn't have happened. You have 3 options: A) move, B) get rid of the dog, or C) deal with the endless sniper fire from your HOA and your neighbors. You bought into a Stepford Wife community. If you're not a Stepford Wife, you shouldn't be there. You should be in a single family home that is not in an HOA. There are 50 other things that would provoke this kind of reaction. You just happened to step on the "I don't want that aggressive breed of dog in the neighborhood" landmine. You're free to adopt option C but you won't get any sympathy from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate