Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:24 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times

Advertisements

Most of them give me a bad vibe! (I never felt this way about any other profession, by the way)

I did meet 2 realtors over the course of MANY years who seemed competent and honest to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 09:36 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
On the other side of the coin, when one does business with someone who performs a service for them, the determination of whether they pay for that service should not hinge on whether one 'likes' the person or not.

If you contacted the realtor and they showed you the property, they also spent time understanding what you wanted to see and looking up appropriate properties, before they spent 20-minutes showing it to you.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Realtor doesn't have a lot of leverage if you never signed a buyer's representation agreement. That said, really, what difference does it make? Sure, they handle some of the negotiations but if you don't have a lot of items that are going to be contentious, and you really want this particular place, does it really matter if this realtor gets the commission? They did, after all, show it to you. You don't ever have to deal with him again after you move in.

Because no matter what we all like to work with people we like. Opening a door to look at a place shouldn't mean you automatically get the job. There were plenty of times where I decided not to work with a realtor because we didn't click. And I'm sure I lost a few bid jobs because I didn't click with the customer.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
I sort of did just that, but I had a longer relationship with the realtor.

I was looking at the less expensive homes where I lived ( vacation lived, not my primary residence) to buy one for my two adult daughters to share.

The two daughters wanted to look at all the homes in the price range, maybe 10 to see what was available and they liked different things. I was looking for low maintenance and not in need of anything major--roof, heater, new kitchen, etc.

The realtor would only let us see about three houses a day. He said too many and we would 'get confused' and he would show us the best three for us. At that price range many of the homes were dumps and we were in and out in less than 10 minutes. We were not happy with the realtor's decision, but was not told until we saw our limit the first day.

So we made another appointment for the next Sunday afternoon, and asked him to set us up with more appointments, especially if some houses were dumps as we wanted to see them, but would not stay long if they were not easily fixable--paint, etc. as opposed to walls and roofs. Saw a few more homes the next time. He did not let us see as many as we asked.

Made another appointment for the next Sunday afternoon. Now we had seen most of the homes, and asked to see the last remaining and to revisit the two we liked best so far so we could decide and make an offer. He said no. That was too many, just see the remaining homes. No revisits.

Then he cancelled the next Sunday and did not see us at all. So it had taken us a month to do what we wanted to do in one weekend. We went down the street to another realtor told her the situation and what houses we still needed to see and what two we had seen and still wanted to see again.

In our case she said that the commission would not be a problem as he took us to many homes, but did not take us to the return visit we asked for. And we bought one of the ones we returned to.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:51 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,985 times
Hmmm? I've never had problems with realtors. Are you getting recommendations from people you know & trust? But, if she finds a new realtor, aren't they going to be unwilling to represent her on a property she was already shown, by another realtor? Whether she signed anything or not. I can't imagine another realtor would be willing to take her on, in the purchase of something she's already been shown. Or they may, but realtor 1 would still get the commission, in which case, what's their incentive?

I'm not a real estate professional though I have done commissioned sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate