Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 08:52 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,792 times

Advertisements

I saw a really good price house in the neighborhood I was looking into but it is on the main road. I am not sure if it is a wise idea to get a house on main road. I did feel bit uncomfortable when I saw cars zooming by from bedroom window. But otherwise the house is good for the price and has lot of back yard space..etc

I wanted to know how other people would deal with house in main street. Would you make an offer if the price is right or would you pass on it because being exposed to the main traffic is not your thing?

I am sure there is way to block out the noise & good shades will block out the view. With large back yard, I doubt we have any need to hangout in the front yard. Backing out from the driveway seem to take bit longer due to waiting for traffic to stop but that is not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Are you talking about a main road as in there are 2 lanes going each direction and traffic lights on the road? Or are you talking about a main road going through the community so it's just the cars that live in the immediate neighborhood zooming by?

Completely different situation. If it's the first, I would never consider a house like that and I present my clients comps and information as to why it's not the best investment. If it's the latter, where it's just the community street, that would not be a huge issue for most people.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 AM

169 posts, read 330,811 times
If you have young children, this could be a safety hazard and not worth taking any risks IMHO. Noise and busy roads you can block out somewhat.

Please also remember it is probably priced the way it is due to the fact that its on a busy street-so think of someone else buying it from you at some point or its potential resale value. If youre planning to be in the house forever though, it may not be important to you-but something to be aware of. Good luck

Old 02-19-2016, 09:12 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,577,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I saw a really good price house in the neighborhood I was looking into but it is on the main road. I am not sure if it is a wise idea to get a house on main road. I did feel bit uncomfortable when I saw cars zooming by from bedroom window. But otherwise the house is good for the price and has lot of back yard space..etc

I wanted to know how other people would deal with house in main street. Would you make an offer if the price is right or would you pass on it because being exposed to the main traffic is not your thing?

I am sure there is way to block out the noise & good shades will block out the view. With large back yard, I doubt we have any need to hangout in the front yard. Backing out from the driveway seem to take bit longer due to waiting for traffic to stop but that is not a big deal.
Unless you are an extremely light sleeper or there are loud vehicles, it should be fine. I live on a busy street, got used to it pretty quick.

And you can back into the driveway when parking if you're worried about not getting out easily in morning rush hour.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,792 times
The kid is definitely an issue but we don't have any kids now. We are planning on having kid but we don't want to be staying in this school district when our kids are school age. So resell is important but if I break even after 5 years of living there then I am not worried.

good idea on backing in to the driveway. I was thinking of possibility of extending into a horseshoe or semi-circle driveway. Lets see if we get the house, I am stilling thinking about it

Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 AM

682 posts, read 717,693 times
Quote:

Have you already looked at the house during different times of the day? Traffic may be worse during some times and even days would make a difference.
Also, if its busy then there might be plans in the future to add extra lanes so that is something to check into.

If the street is really busy, you will not be able to back into your driveway. I can see it now...you come up to your driveway and attempt to back into it....some idiot on their cellphone is flying down the road not paying attention...they don't see your reverse lights(by the way...in most states you can't go in reverse on a road)...and they slam into you. It'll be your fault. Of course, you can use the front yard as a way of backing your car in if its a small driveway. Your idea to put in semi-circle or whatever is a good idea if you decide to get the home.

Personally, I would never live on a busy road. Traffic drives me up the wall when I'm driving in my car. I would never be able to handle it if I had to hear it every day or have to contend with it when I'm trying to get out of my own driveway.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:30 AM

169 posts, read 330,811 times
Quote:
The kid is definitely an issue but we don't have any kids now. We are planning on having kid but we don't want to be staying in this school district when our kids are school age. So resell is important but if I break even after 5 years of living there then I am not worried.

good idea on backing in to the driveway. I was thinking of possibility of extending into a horseshoe or semi-circle driveway. Lets see if we get the house, I am stilling thinking about it
this is the mistake we made when we were buying the first home. The market is not what it used to be and if it stays the same where its a buyers market ( unless yours is different), it is very hard to sell your home, let alone make a profit or even break even.

Whether 5 or 10 years, with or without children, I would buy a house that costs a little more, or a little less, to be in a good neighborhood, good schools and steer clear of anything funky like a busy street or a train track behind your back yard....because when its time to move it, you wont be stuck.

good luck

Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
If it's the perfect house the road noise would not bother me. Doesn't bother the neighbors either or they would move. Normally the noise does not carry inside or you get used to it and tune it out subconsciously. If you have backyard parties it may be a noise concern for the guests who are not used to it.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:47 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,433 times
No. Never. Too risky.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 AM

350 posts, read 415,751 times
Absolutely would not. Beyond the noise there is the pollution of car and diesel smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate