Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:27 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I wonder if people could sue speeders. They could use video with some kind of timer, to prove the person was at point A at time X and at point B at time Y, to prove they were speeding. They could set up the video system at their house, aimed at the street, to gather the evidence, including license plate numbers and pictures of drivers. The amount they could collect in small claims court might depend on how fast the person was speeding, and on how vulnerable the neighborhood was to tragedies caused by speeding. For example, if 1000 speeding cars would kill one child on average, and a child's life is worth $100,000,000, then each of those speeders should owe 1/1000 of that, or $100,000. Of course those figures come from thin air, but they illustrate my point. The amount they could actually collect would probably be low enough for small claims court.

The homeowner has incurred no damages - until the kid is actually hit by the speeding car. No damages = no grounds fir a lawsuit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 09:41 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's funny you should say this- by reading the OP, it looks as though whining is precisely what is solving the problem here. People were speeding, so residents whined, and now the laws are actually enforced.

I can't wait until we have speed cameras all over the country so that speeding is a thing of the past. Then we can raise the speed limits to the actual safe speed, and police officers can stop dying during routine traffic stops (which are coincidentally the most dangerous part of most officers' jobs).
While in some ways I philosophically agree with you, the fact remains that photo speed camera use is decreasing, and outright not legal in most states. However, red light photo enforcement IS increadingly accepted and installed. States using red light and speed cameras

Old 03-10-2016, 10:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
That's not good use of HOA funds, better to put in some speed bumps.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:14 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Depends on who owns the roads. You cant install speed bumps on city streets, the city has to. Good luck getting that done.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 PM

45,320 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

Public road and the local government has apparently decided against speed bumps.

If I were a HOA owner, or better yet a Board member, I'd be at Town Hall weekly, including the regular Council meetings, wondering why there is no enforcement on the public road. So much so that the HOA has to contract speed enforcement out.

If the Board members haven't done that they're not fulfilling their duties to the community.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:34 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Public road and the local government has apparently decided against speed bumps.

If I were a HOA owner, or better yet a Board member, I'd be at Town Hall weekly, including the regular Council meetings, wondering why there is no enforcement on the public road. So much so that the HOA has to contract speed enforcement out.

If the Board members haven't done that they're not fulfilling their duties to the community.
Here in Jax we are so understaffed with police and have such serious crimes in other parts of the City that if I brought up speeders in my neighborhood they would kick me out of the meeting.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Here in Jax we are so understaffed with police and have such serious crimes in other parts of the City that if I brought up speeders in my neighborhood they would kick me out of the meeting.
Funny you mention Jax.

I was just going to post:

In Jax, The Peninsula hires police when they have large events.

ON DUTY not OFF DUTY. It may be overtime for the officers.

Always an "issue" when people CLAIMED "The Peninsula is dangerous there's always cop cars there".

LOL no, they're PAYING.

OP are you sure you got the story straight?

They are most likely ON DUTY being PAID by the HOA.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
I lived in a FL HOA that owned their streets so they could install speed bumps, which did not stop speeders. The police would come at no charge but I never saw any come. Could equate this with any non-HOA neighborhood. Do you think police will be able to catch a speeder randomly in any neighborhood, HOA or non-HOA? Better to target there people who are speeding and have the police come when you KNOW the speeders schedules. (Is this legal?)

Second story, my brother is a LEO also in FL and spends 2 days a week on patrol in a very large HOA (size of a small city). The county police have had the contract for this HOA for 25 years, I assume it's 5-7 days a week but don't know if it's 24/7.
Cost is built into their HOA fees.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
While in some ways I philosophically agree with you, the fact remains that photo speed camera use is decreasing, and outright not legal in most states. However, red light photo enforcement IS increadingly accepted and installed. States using red light and speed cameras

In Alaska we voted photo radar out. In Tucson, near my winter home, they just voted red light cameras out. Any place where they are readily accepted is a place full of sheeple. Baaaaa. Once people see that these are nothing more that revenue generators they become less fond of them. I would never live in a town that has red light cameras or photo radar.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Wrong. Red light camera use is declining every year. Your link says 438 communities as of March 2016. The same site said 469 for March 2015, and 495 for Dec. 2014. The peak was 540 in 2012.

Communities put brakes on red-light cameras as studies differ on results | Fox News

https://algaonline.org/index.aspx?NID=460

Red-light camera use declining nationwide, website reports | NOLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate