U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 9,278 times

Advertisements

I live in New Mexico with my boyfriend and we applied to rent a house. We both have a clean background, full time jobs, no convictions or evictions, and our current apartment complex loves us. Between the two of us we make 5x the rent amount per month. We also provided a guarantor if needed for whatever reason. My credit is on the lower end, mostly because of an ambulance bill and the closest thing to a credit card I have is through a department store with a $300 limit (I'm terrified of debt..). Still, my boyfriend (who has excellent credit) will be paying the rent and I'll take care of utilities.

During the application process, I got a phone call from the property management company saying that someone else's name is coming up under my SSN and I need to get it resolved. I freaked out thinking I might be dealing with identity theft. I went to the Social Security Administration and checked my credit report online myself and everything looks as it should.

When I called the company back and told them there must be an error on their end and I'd like a copy of the report from their credit reporting agency, they said it's my issue I have to get resolved, that they can't legally give the name or contact info the agency. My boyfriend called them later and they told him everything was "fine" and we were still being considered for the house.

Before the issue with my SSN, they told us we were the most qualified applicants. Today our application for the house got denied because they could "completely verify the other applicant's income, rental history, and credit." They have not provided an adverse action notice and still refuse to give me the information for the credit reporting agency. They said giving me that info violates their contract with their agency. Every time I call them the past few days, the manager is "out" and has yet to return my calls.

From what I understand, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act they are legally required to give me the information for their credit reporting agency and an adverse action notice so I can dispute the inaccurate information. Is that correct? Is there something else I'm missing here? Do they have to provide a copy of my credit report if I request it? How many times do I have to request this information before I can take legal action?

I've had a constant headache the past 5 days from dealing with this so any help is appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 12:57 PM

5,048 posts, read 7,996,477 times
There are some landlord tenant hotlines in various cities and states that are very helpful. You might give them a try. Google them in your area.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:45 PM

26,157 posts, read 34,677,851 times
The landlord can not give you a copy of the report that they received (unless you are in california). Forget about receiving a copy.

What the landlord is supposed to do is to notify the credit bureau that you have been rejected. Then the credit bureau issues an adverse action letter to the landlord and the landlord mails that to you.

Request a copy of that adverse action letter from the landlord. You must make your request in writing.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. After some googling I finally found the company who does the tenant screening for the property management company. They were quick to email the documents I need to request my credit report and dispute the misinformation and they also got in touch with the property management company. After that they finally said the adverse action notice is in the mail. I feel like this whole thing was more complicated than it should have been. I should have taken all the negative reviews of this company a little more seriously.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,767,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentiousBird View Post
Thanks for the replies. After some googling I finally found the company who does the tenant screening for the property management company. They were quick to email the documents I need to request my credit report and dispute the misinformation and they also got in touch with the property management company. After that they finally said the adverse action notice is in the mail. I feel like this whole thing was more complicated than it should have been. I should have taken all the negative reviews of this company a little more seriously.
negative reviews of the landlord?

Old 03-18-2016, 01:49 PM

Negative reviews of the property management company that I've been dealing with. The owner of the home hired them to find a tenant.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM

5,048 posts, read 7,996,477 times
Let us know how the bad credit came about when you sort it out. I had a friend who had a similar issue. It looked like...put probably wasn't... someone dropped two hard copy credit files, papers went flying and mixed two people into one. Don't know how it really happened but it took a while to get his credit figured out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate