Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:05 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

Selling first is not a mistake, buying first and then not being able to sell is a mistake. A loan can go bad in the last week if the underwriter demands a document from the buyer that he just can't get. The seller would not even know this. There's other stupid stuff the neither the buyer or seller know is going on behind the scenes that can kill a deal. If the buyer had an FHA loan that was denied due to a low appraisal on a previous property and the bank did not close it out in the FHA system that means he can't close on the new home with an FHA loan, and there is a lot of red tape to get it resolved. I'm sure it does not happen often, but there are things you can't imagine that kill a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 06:17 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
If you really do not want to move twice and rent in between, then quickly go and buy a house at the destination location with a closing date that is the same as or a few days after your closing date at your current house. It will take a few days for your stuff to be delivered anyway.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 PM

577 posts, read 663,479 times
You did the right thing. Trying to buy and sell at the same time is very stressful. The extra move is nothing compared to all the things that can and do go wrong when you have a chain of people dependent on one person getting a mortgage to get the whole ball rolling.

Plus, you have time to find a house you really like and won't feel rushed to take the first thing that comes along.

Congratulations on selling your home.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Some large moving companies will store your stuff for you. So they would pick it up, hold onto it and deliver it to your new house.

It's cheaper and easier than moving twice.

I think you should try to find a place to rent so you don't make any purchase decisions under pressure, especially if you don't really know your new area. Do you have any friends or relatives who could keep the dogs for you while in transition?

Old 03-17-2016, 07:27 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Doesn't sound like a mistake to me. In your situation I would get a PODs thing and store everything you don't need in it that way you only move it once. They rent them out by the month so you can store it long term if you need. Only take what you need with you to a short term rental, dishes, clothes, and some furniture, then store the rest. You don't need everything in your home at all times.
Where would I put the pod? I won't have a house.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Some large moving companies will store your stuff for you. So they would pick it up, hold onto it and deliver it to your new house.

It's cheaper and easier than moving twice.

I think you should try to find a place to rent so you don't make any purchase decisions under pressure, especially if you don't really know your new area. Do you have any friends or relatives who could keep the dogs for you while in transition?
I'm afraid there's no one to keep the dogs. That's a lot to ask of anyone. They are a handful (although house trained and obedience trained).

I've located a place to rent. Kinda pricey, and I have to set up utilities. I didn't realize rentals were done that way these days. When I rented years ago, utililties were included, or the complex would bill you.

I've had one estimate by a large moving co. He didn't mention that, so I guess they don't do it. I'll look for that, though. Good idea.

I'll check on the pods, too. However that works.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
You did the right thing. Trying to buy and sell at the same time is very stressful. The extra move is nothing compared to all the things that can and do go wrong when you have a chain of people dependent on one person getting a mortgage to get the whole ball rolling.

Plus, you have time to find a house you really like and won't feel rushed to take the first thing that comes along.

Congratulations on selling your home.
Thank you.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM

372 posts, read 576,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm afraid there's no one to keep the dogs. That's a lot to ask of anyone. They are a handful (although house trained and obedience trained).

I've located a place to rent. Kinda pricey, and I have to set up utilities. I didn't realize rentals were done that way these days. When I rented years ago, utililties were included, or the complex would bill you.

I've had one estimate by a large moving co. He didn't mention that, so I guess they don't do it. I'll look for that, though. Good idea.

I'll check on the pods, too. However that works.
Our neighbors put their stuff into PODS, and the PODS truck picked up the box(Es) and stored them at the PODS yard until the boxes were needed at the new house; then the PODS were taken to the new house.

We used u-boxes from U-Haul. We picked them up, loaded them up--they're already mounted
on a trailer--took them back to the yard and had them stored. Then when we were ready, our U-boxes were loaded onto a large trailer and driven down (by a U-Haul driver) to a U-Haul facility near our location where we could bring them to the house one at a time and unload them.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:01 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I don't think you made a mistake at all. I think it's great that you sold your former house and are free to look for a new home. ABF U-Pack might be a good solution for you. You pack your things into a cube and they can store the cube until you are ready for it to be delivered to your new home. We used them and were very pleased with their professionalism, promptness, and price. Best wishes on this new adventure.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:32 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Have a yard sale.
Sell everything that would cost more to move than to buy.
Sell everything that you have not used in awhile.
There is always the Walmart parking lot. Campers are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate