Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:01 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times

Advertisements

I got an offer on my house before I expected it. So I took the offer, for various reasons.

Now I think I've made a HUGE mistake! I am moving out of town and haven't bought a new house yet. That means I have to rent a place (I have 2 dogs, so the rent will be costly), and I have to rent storage for a full 3 bedroom house.

I'll also have to pay a mover a second time to move into my new house.

I'm freaking out and very upset. I think I should've done it the other way around.

Is there any tip for a solution, you think?

I don't know why I did this. I just got excited when I got the offer, and it saved me further repairs & updates. The sales price is fine. I figured it's spring time, so I should be able to find a house where I'm moving to.

I'm so upset. I don't think I can handle something this big. It's so complicated.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 04:05 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,755,019 times
Your offer on a new house will NOT be contingent upon you selling. That's a HUGE selling point, especially in multiple offer situations. In my market, that's the best position you can be in, already having your house sold. I've had many sellers that temporarily moved to an apartment so they didn't have to buy a new house on a whim, but could take their time and figure it out.

Moving twice might cost money, but it could save you thousands in the long run.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:08 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,929,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I got an offer on my house before I expected it. So I took the offer, for various reasons.

Now I think I've made a HUGE mistake! I am moving out of town and haven't bought a new house yet. That means I have to rent a place (I have 2 dogs, so the rent will be costly), and I have to rent storage for a full 3 bedroom house.

I'll also have to pay a mover a second time to move into my new house.

I'm freaking out and very upset. I think I should've done it the other way around.

Is there any tip for a solution, you think?

I don't know why I did this. I just got excited when I got the offer, and it saved me further repairs & updates. The sales price is fine. I figured it's spring time, so I should be able to find a house where I'm moving to.

I'm so upset. I don't think I can handle something this big. It's so complicated.

Any advice?
Aw!! Moving is so stressful. I know if I say, "Calm down!" that would be hard to do, but try to if you can. You'll be fine.

Yes, you may have to move twice, but the second move will just be a local move within your new town so it won't be as expensive.

You might want to consider boarding your dogs somewhere, so that you can rent a cheaper, short term place? (Bear in mind that I have no pets and have no idea of what I am talking about, with that).

It will be SO nice to have your old house sold, so that you don't have that hanging over your head and costing you money each month. You did the right thing!!! It's just not easy and so stressful to move.

Hope moving becomes less of a hassle and more of an adventure, as you tackle these problems!

Also, I was posting at the same time as FalconheadWest, but what a great post; I agree with everything in that post.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Your offer on a new house will NOT be contingent upon you selling. That's a HUGE selling point, especially in multiple offer situations. In my market, that's the best position you can be in, already having your house sold. I've had many sellers that temporarily moved to an apartment so they didn't have to buy a new house on a whim, but could take their time and figure it out.

Moving twice might cost money, but it could save you thousands in the long run.
Oh, that's good to know that others do this. I'm not experienced at this and am so scared I'm making big mistakes. I'm petrified, actually. And that is so unlike me. This is really scary.

So I'm SO glad to hear that other people do this.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Aw!! Moving is so stressful. I know if I say, "Calm down!" that would be hard to do, but try to if you can. You'll be fine.

Yes, you may have to move twice, but the second move will just be a local move within your new town so it won't be as expensive.

You might want to consider boarding your dogs somewhere, so that you can rent a cheaper, short term place? (Bear in mind that I have no pets and have no idea of what I am talking about, with that).

It will be SO nice to have your old house sold, so that you don't have that hanging over your head and costing you money each month. You did the right thing!!! It's just not easy and so stressful to move.

Hope moving becomes less of a hassle and more of an adventure, as you tackle these problems!

Also, I was posting at the same time as FalconheadWest, but what a great post; I agree with everything in that post.
Thank you so much. That really was helpful. Yes, I need to calm down a bit. And think of it more as an adventure. I used to be like that when I was younger.

I guess it's not the end of the world. And FalconheadWest's post sounds right. I will be in a good bargaining position when I buy.

Thank you so much.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:39 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
Take a deep breath be happy you are under contract! We did this a few years ago. It was a pain, but nice to rent where we were moving to really get to know the area before we decided where to move. And like others said since we didn't have a contingency on the sale it strengthened our offer.

Cograts!!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM

11,822 posts, read 34,355,412 times
It's still possible to find a house and close and move in when you want - just make sure your lender - if you are getting a new loan, is up to speed and ready to go.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
It's still possible to find a house and close and move in when you want - just make sure your lender - if you are getting a new loan, is up to speed and ready to go.
I'm doing a cash purchase. So hopefully that will strengthen my offer even more.

I'm all by myself, and it's just overwhelming. No one to say, "I think that's a mistake."

Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,211,252 times
Doesn't sound like a mistake to me. In your situation I would get a PODs thing and store everything you don't need in it that way you only move it once. They rent them out by the month so you can store it long term if you need. Only take what you need with you to a short term rental, dishes, clothes, and some furniture, then store the rest. You don't need everything in your home at all times.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,231,442 times
you did the right thing. finding a house is much easier than selling one.

I had a neighbor who listed her house for sale to move across the country. She sold in 2 days then flew before closing to the new city and found the perfect house and offered and got her bid accepted. she moved straight to her new house.

my advice: go look for your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate