Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:58 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Interesting. I would not entertain the liability to record a deed. And we have electronic recording.
Here, it's pretty straight forward so I'm not concerned about added liability. I do what I would do as if it were my own property. I take it into the Register of Deeds office and the process varies by County. Wayne County affixes a Liber and Page number on the Deed, scans it for recording and immediately hands it back to you. It sure beats the several-weeks process they had not long ago. In other Counties it might be stamped with the Liber and Page number and then they'd mail the Deed back once they complete their process. In any situation, I get proof that the Deed was submitted to the Register of Deeds. Of course, with all, I submit the payment for the transfer taxes...so I get an additional receipt for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 12:59 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
In Texas,I closed on my house at 9:30 am. Finished up around 10:30 am. The money was wired an hour later. I was walking into my house by noon.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:05 PM

446 posts, read 709,284 times
You can't move in until the funds are transferred.

AND THAT MIGHT NOT HAPPEN RIGHT AWAY. There could be some kind of mess up. IT HAPPENS.

I'd give yourself at least a day between closing and moving in. Two would be better.

I'd say 'ask your agent' but half of them are dolts.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
We are in South Dakota. Our closing appointment was at 4 pm on a Friday. By 4:30 all paperwork was signed, we had the keys and headed directly to our new house.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Depends where you live. In some states the sellers turn over keys AT the closing after which the house is yours immediately and you can move in that day if you want to. In other states, it's a multi-step process and keys aren't turned over at the closing. Your Realtor should be able to answer this question.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:17 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Depends where you live. In some states the sellers turn over keys AT the closing after which the house is yours immediately and you can move in that day if you want to. In other states, it's a multi-step process and keys aren't turned over at the closing. Your Realtor should be able to answer this question.
In some states, the keys are buried in the yard and the purchasers are given a treasure map to find their reward. In others, the keys are hidden under bushes, fake rocks or put into bird nests high up in trees. There are lots of different practices for delivering the keys...and some practices take longer than others. I've learned of many of them by just browsing the internet.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:51 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
OP:

COngratulations on your new house!

YOu should check with your agent and possibly your mortgager.

Here , possession takes place at closing when the keys are handed over.

IN the final week {here}, we:

1} I went through the house again with our house inspector to be sure corrections were made to negotiated items and that they were one to his satisfaction/code 5 days before closing.
2} 2 days before closing our agent walked the property for us and declared it still broom clean and ready to close.
3} the Day OF closing, our mortgage company's attorney asked when we were moving in...we said "We have boxes in the van and are ready to start as soon as we get the keys. Tomorrow is TG and the turkey will be cooked in the new kitchen"...
We were told "GOOD. WE REQUIRE the property to be IMMEDIATELY OCCUPIED" and it was in the contract to sign with them {the mortgage company}...that is a "move in and possession on closing date" of closing day. THEY want to be sure the property is not left vacant to be vandalized, etc.
{funds were transferred and distributed via guaranteed BANK CHECKS}

Check it out to be sure.
Then you will know if you can do what w did or not.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,425,905 times
+1 on what everyone said as to checking with the locals as to move in date.

As for movers on the next day, that might be some what eager, but consider the empty house:

Deep cleaning on carpets, cabinets, floorings and windows with nothing in your way.

If you are concerned about insects and such, good chance to fog the whole house at once or bring in a professional with the chance to air out the insides.

Sanding/painting can all be done without furniture in the way or getting ruined.

Of course, if you need to be in the house, you need to be in. Just a thought.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:01 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Well if you were the owner of our previous house you could move in the day of closing. We were completely cleared out two days before and the house was in pristine condition waiting for its new owner. The buyers were the most hassle free folks I had ever dealt with. I wanted them to have what was theirs as soon as allowable by law.

For our current home, we had to wait over two weeks. That sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate