Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:48 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Harborfreight has a compound miter saw for sale at a reasonable price for a DYI homeowner personal projects like the one your talking about for only $89.99 with coupon number 98508720

10 in. Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide System
Just a tip: Always square and check angles on any power tool out of the box, and re-check before making precision cuts.

Follow the owner's guide to align any laser light also--not always accurate out of the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Some community colleges offer carpentry, mill & cabinet, finish carpentry classes. We used to build a custom home during our classes, then auction the home after it was finished.

These classes will give you the chance to practice some of your newly learned skills.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Harborfreight has a compound miter saw for sale at a reasonable price for a DYI homeowner personal projects like the one your talking about for only $89.99 with coupon number 98508720

10 in. Sliding Compound Miter Saw with Laser Guide System

Oh god. Don't waste your money. I rather buy a used DeWalt or Rigid than a new Chicago tools. Seriously those things can't cut a true 45*. Horrible tools.

Those corner things work well in box rooms straight lines. If you have a vaulted ceiling forget ot. You'll go nuts. I mean eventually through trial and error you'll get the cuts. It's just gonna take a lot of practice. I've done basic rooms. But when it gets to vaulted ceilings it gets tougher. Am I a pro? No. It really comes down to how good a job you want.
If you don't mind visual mistakes here and there go for it. If you gotta have it where it's perfect hire a pro

Old 03-28-2016, 06:35 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,036,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Yes. That's what I meant. Corner to corner crown moulding requires fancy equipment and is difficult to do.
Actually no, it doesn't. And I posted this once already....

Shop Stanley Clamping Miter Box with Saw at Lowes.com

I have no idea why everybody keeps saying expensive and fancy equipment is needed because it's not. A saw is a saw, an angle is an angle, and a piece of wood or molding is a piece of wood or molding. And handsaws with miter boxes were used well before the invention of electrical tools, so what does that tell you. Buy this one for $12, crown your room, and then throw it away..

It's certainly a little more difficult than making straight 90 degree cuts, but it's still not rocket science.. There are even youtube videos that show how it's done. There's really no need to make this more difficult than it is.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:52 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
I have no idea why everybody keeps saying expensive and fancy equipment is needed because it's not. A saw is a saw, an angle is an angle, and a piece of wood or molding is a piece of wood or molding. And handsaws with miter boxes were used well before the invention of electrical tools, so what does that tell you. Buy this one for $12, crown your room, and then throw it away..

It's certainly a little more difficult than making straight 90 degree cuts, but it's still not rocket science.. There are even youtube videos that show how it's done. There's really no need to make this more difficult than it is.
In reality, you can have the most expensive tools in the world but unless you have the experience/expertise it won't help you very much. Some folks are not meant to do precision work, me included. I would gladly pay a professional to do it right the first time.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Please, Oh please, take photos along the way if you decide to do this. This has the makings of a series on HGTV, "Hold My Beer While I Remodel"
Love it!!!! I'd watch that!!!

Old 03-28-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
In reality, you can have the most expensive tools in the world but unless you have the experience/expertise it won't help you very much. Some folks are not meant to do precision work, me included. I would gladly pay a professional to do it right the first time.
Watch this... This is the exact same $12 miter saw that I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLbybZj928k

And I'll say it again, I am absolutely no carpenter, I've always heard what a nightmare it is to install crown and I was intimidated by it. But if you watch the how-to videos, and use a few pieces of scrap - or extra to practice on then you will eventually take the mystery out of it.

Of course hiring a professional is always an option too, but over time I have found that a lot of 'professionals' aren't so professional at all. Case in point, my kitchen tile.. I hired a 'professional' who did a half-ass job, and now two years year later I have broken tiles and grout crumbling up. When it came time to do my bathroom though, I took the classes at Home Depot, bought a how-to book, and studied youtube vids. And it came out perfect if I do say so myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not above biting the bullet and hiring somebody - like the deck that I'm getting ready to do, because I simply don't have time for it right now. My point though, is that crown is really not that bad and should not be intimidating.

Last edited by Upstate67; 03-28-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
The bottom line is that you'll never gain a skill if you're too afraid of making mistakes.
Just go for it and if it proves too much for your comprehension or endurance, at least you can say you tried.
Like other's have stated here, it's not rocket science.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
We found a house we love. It is in good shape but some updates my wife was thinking about include adding crown molding and wainscoting. The problem is I have no tools aside from what you'd find in a regular tools box. I was wondering if I went to Home Depot with the measurements of the room could they cut everything for me? I would plan on renting a nail gun and using that to install. I'm wondering if that is practical or if I should plan on hiring a carpenter. When hiring a contractor how much would you expect to pay for a job like that?
No, and no. Hire a professional or it's going to look like crap. And if you've never mitred a joint, don't even buy the tools.

Get a couple of estimates from contractors you know or that some friends have used.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
The bottom line is that you'll never gain a skill if you're too afraid of making mistakes.
Just go for it and if it proves too much for your comprehension or endurance, at least you can say you tried.
Like other's have stated here, it's not rocket science.
Nope...

-Get some scrap pieces, or buy some just to practice on.
-Watch the youtube videos
-Practice making the cuts with the $12 miter saw from Lowes
-Hold the pieces you've cut up on the wall to see how they fit together
-Rinse and repeat until confidence grows

Also, don't rule out the corner blocks. This pic is from my bathroom...

I can make the miter cuts no problem, but after giving it some thought I decided that I simply like the way those look when added to the crown.. They are a pain in the you know what to paint around though, so next time I might just run the crown without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate