Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:33 PM

339 posts, read 665,001 times

Advertisements

We found a house we love. It is in good shape but some updates my wife was thinking about include adding crown molding and wainscoting. The problem is I have no tools aside from what you'd find in a regular tools box. I was wondering if I went to Home Depot with the measurements of the room could they cut everything for me? I would plan on renting a nail gun and using that to install. I'm wondering if that is practical or if I should plan on hiring a carpenter. When hiring a contractor how much would you expect to pay for a job like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:45 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
From watching the installation of crown molding, I would say that ALL of the cuts need to be done, one length at a time, on site. There is a lot of precision involved. However, couldn't you just get a miter saw? You still need to be really good with spatial concepts to get the angles just right.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins3445 View Post
We found a house we love. It is in good shape but some updates my wife was thinking about include adding crown molding and wainscoting. The problem is I have no tools aside from what you'd find in a regular tools box. I was wondering if I went to Home Depot with the measurements of the room could they cut everything for me? I would plan on renting a nail gun and using that to install. I'm wondering if that is practical or if I should plan on hiring a carpenter. When hiring a contractor how much would you expect to pay for a job like that?
No. You can't do that unless you like wasting money. Your walls will not be perfect so the cuts will have to match that. The cuts need to be made on site.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
From watching the installation of crown molding, I would say that ALL of the cuts need to be done, one length at a time, on site. There is a lot of precision involved. However, couldn't you just get a miter saw? You still need to be really good with spatial concepts to get the angles just right.
I suppose I could rent one but I'm really not handy. I could manage nailing it in but not sure how I'd do with the cuts.

Old 03-22-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No. You can't do that unless you like wasting money. Your walls will not be perfect so the cuts will have to match that. The cuts need to be made on site.
How much would you expect to pay someone to do it?

Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
How much would you expect to pay someone to do it?
Well I don't know what labor charges in your area. Here it would be $50-$60 an hour for labor then materials. I couldn't possibly give you an idea since I don't know how many cuts need to be made and how level the walls are.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:33 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
If you've never done crown molding before, don't bother. It's one of the hardest skill to learn because the wall is never flat and you have to install accordingly, which takes craftmanship and experience. Even if you manage to install one wall, I bet anything you will have a tough time joining the piece for the adjacent wall. The cut, the craftmanship; everything has to be perfect for all the pieces on all four walls to look straight and lined-up. Beginners always end up making them look crooked, disjointed, and tilted. It's one of those things that look easy but it's actually hard.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM

6,475 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Projects like this are best left to the professionals.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:46 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Home Depot doesn't do precision cuts. If you doubt your skill level, though...hire someone with experience.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:19 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
no you cant do it, but a miter box. hand saw. about thirty dollar in tools, yes you could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate