Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:22 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Purchase a condo in a fairly nice area (you can afford this, but would very much prefer a house)

Purchase a SFH in a not-so-nice area (because that is all you can afford, but you truly want a house. Crime will be somewhat high due to your budget and where it puts you - not meth central, but a neighborhood with moderate crime and theft).

Continue to rent while you are undecided (meanwhile, prices are going up in your area)

You are a single, older woman who lives alone with pets.

Get a condo in a nice area. You're older & single, so you won't have to worry about the maintenance.

This is a no-brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 12:25 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Get a condo in a nice area. You're older & single, so you won't have to worry about the maintenance.

This is a no-brainer.
I wouldn't say it's a no-brainer - there are unknown assessments which can add up to thousands of dollars a year, plus the monthly maintenance fee which would be no less than $ 250.00 (3K a year). Plus pet restrictions (I have three pets). They can be noisy, many are rented out. Fees can go up at any time to any amount.

But it is certainly food for thought. It's not an easy decision, IMO.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
there are unknown assessments which can add up to thousands of dollars a year, plus the monthly maintenance fee which would be no less than $ 250.00 (3K a year). Plus pet restrictions (I have three pets). They can be noisy, many are rented out.

Owning a house is even worse. Unknown issues will come up, you can still have noisy neighbors, and especially if you're living in a not-so-nice area, you're looking at trashy people who don't take care of their homes, therefore depreciation on your home, possible break-ins (which will cost you), threat to life and limb, etc.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Owning a house is even worse. Unknown issues will come up, you can still have noisy neighbors, and especially if you're living in a not-so-nice area, you're looking at trashy people who don't take care of their homes, therefore depreciation on your home, possible break-ins (which will cost you), threat to life and limb, etc.
True. Good points. It's not like I would be living in the best of neighborhoods.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
True. Good points. It's not like I would be living in the best of neighborhoods.

So doubtful there is an HOA or tenets forcing your neighbors to keep up their homes. Lots of renters as well, and many could be Section 8.

At least in a condo, it has to be maintained, and if it's in a nice neighborhood, chances are your neighbors are higher class also. And usually, there's a pool! LOL

Old 03-24-2016, 12:52 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I would try to find a townhouse rather than a condo. You have more privacy and there is nobody above you. The ones near me have either a decent sized private courtyard or a lanai. HOA or maintenance fees can run anywhere from $125-$400 depending on a lot of factors. If you buy a single family house in an area with moderate crime and that area gets progressively worse you are now living in a house that will likely depreciate and might possibly be hard to sell when and if you want to sell it.

You said you are an older single woman; I am also and I would choose safety in a condo or townhome any day over a single family home. I'm renting a condo that is in a gated community and I feel safe here. I would not want to worry every night when I got into bed about somebody breaking in especially when your neighbors find out you are alone.

Make a list of pros and cons of living in the SFH in the moderate crime area versus living in a multi-family place in a good neighborhood. That should help make your choice easier.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:01 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
One more thing to consider: a manufactured home in a nice community. You would have the privacy of a single family home without a lot of maintenance. Some have nice amenities but your pets might be an issue depending on how big they are. You mentioned you had three but three what? Pot bellied pigs, Great Danes, Chihuahuas, cats? :-)

Old 03-24-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
So doubtful there is an HOA or tenets forcing your neighbors to keep up their homes. Lots of renters as well, and many could be Section 8.

At least in a condo, it has to be maintained, and if it's in a nice neighborhood, chances are your neighbors are higher class also. And usually, there's a pool! LOL
Neighbors not necessarily "higher class" due to high number of condos that are rented out, but agree with you on the house point.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
One more thing to consider: a manufactured home in a nice community. You would have the privacy of a single family home without a lot of maintenance. Some have nice amenities but your pets might be an issue depending on how big they are. You mentioned you had three but three what? Pot bellied pigs, Great Danes, Chihuahuas, cats? :-)
Lol! Cats...99% of condos allow a "small pet", so I would have to get something in writing that they would allow three cats.

A townhome would be good. There are not nearly as many to choose from though, as there are condos.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Condo. The effort and money for upkeep is very discouraging.

I've lived in Memphis so I highly discourage the sketchy area unless you keep a couple of large dogs and a handgun. All jest aside, that's no way to live even though I was there MANY (too many) years.

But if you haven't found what you really want then I guess waiting is the smart thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate