Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbeckday View Post
I had my own home before and lived on my own and I help my folks but I have to think about the future of when they will get older and how I I'll have to be there. I am not the type and nor would I ever throw my folks
In a nursing home and just visit then once in a while. Maybe you will do that with your folks but I would never do that.
You need to stop trying to lob personal insults at me and stick to the topic you started.

You say you've lived on your own before. Why is getting your parent's approval such a problem now? What do you think they want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 08:31 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
40 miles....this is comical.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:56 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Is this thread for real? Seriously? Be a big boy and put your big boy pull ups on today.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
I thank what you are saying. But put yourself in my shoes what would you do if you were in the situation ? Be honest with me. I do like I said am excited and look forward to my new home but what about if the folks not liking that I live 40 miles away. I mean everyone else I know friends and co workers are very excited for me and asking questions what are my plans of decorating the place and all. Here my folks don't say much and it is upsetting me that my own folks aren't happy for me As I said they live in a big city and real estate property prices are through the roof plus the very close surrounding suburbs . I purchased 40 miles away but the house I got is way more house for the money and it is a very nice established neighborhood and the house is newer and beautiful
We just can't seem to get through to you, and yes, I am confidently speaking for everyone who has posted on this thread.

It doesn't matter what your parents think.

You're 40 years old.

Be your own man.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:37 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
I know it's my life but why can't my folks be happy for me? I bought the home with my own money. I am furnishing it with my own money . I am not asking them for any financial assistance on my home. Plus I am an honest person. I work hard in my career. But all I am asking if they can be a little bit happy. I will visit them still. It is not like I am never going to see them again??? Come on??? It is like I want to be happy. I want to have that smile when someone asks how are all the plans coming along with your new home. And everyone congratulating me.
Your friends are happy for you. Hell, WE'RE happy for you. You can't control what makes your parents happy. You need to shrug your shoulders and move on (easier said than done, I know). Enjoy your new house and be proud of yourself that you were able to do this on your own. That is all that really counts anyway. You're not a child, but it kind of sounds like your parents wish you were.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 AM

51 posts, read 35,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You need to stop trying to lob personal insults at me and stick to the topic you started.

You say you've lived on your own before. Why is getting your parent's approval such a problem now? What do you think they want?
I am not insulting you . What is with the childish behavior???? I only tell the truth. Seems like you are not too close with your folks. Because I am

Old 04-08-2016, 09:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I am not insulting you .
This:

Quote:
What is with the childish behavior???? I only tell the truth. Seems like you are not too close with your folks. Because I am
... is you trying to insult me instead of asking legitimate questions.

Do you actually want advice, or do you just want to keep personally attacking people?

Old 04-08-2016, 10:02 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
You are 40 years old, not 18. Parents' approval is nice, but at 40, it's nothing more. You want them to be happy for you. That's your issue. Whatever issues they have with you "deserting" them is their issue. They are entitled to their issues as you are entitled to yours.

Time to grow up.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:07 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
You have to stop worrying about other people and worry about yourself. You like the house? Thats all that matters. What will you do when you meet a girl? If your friends and parents dont like her, will you go on like this?

You will be much happier focusing on making yourself happy first. Your parents will get over this. And if they don't, then its their issue.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I started reading the OP and thought, "This sounds familiar." Then I saw this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Didn't we just do 7 pages of this? //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ing-house.html
Yes, there is already a 62-POST THREAD about THE EXACT SAME THING. And of course just about everyone in THIS thread is saying the same things we said in the OTHER thread -- all of which the OP basically ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I have to thank John, the OP. He has reminded me of the incredible gift my parents gave me of encouraging me to be independent.
^^^ This, a million times over. I thank my mom every day for the gift of independence.

Quote:
I am not insulting you . What is with the childish behavior???? I only tell the truth. Seems like you are not too close with your folks. Because I am
OP, you definitely ARE being rude to the other poster, Wmsn4Life. She has TRIED to be helpful, as she always does, yet you suggest she must not be close to her family because she is not as whiny as you have been over moving 40 MILES AWAY. And you call that "far away."

FORTY MILES. I am flabbergasted. My mom lives 3,000 miles away but we are still close. Regular phone, Skype, text, email, cards & letters (yes, we still do those), trips back there. Lots of ways to keep in touch. You don't have to live down the street from people to remain close to them. (And I haven't really needed "advice" from her in decades -- certainly not at age 40. Again, that independence thing. She taught me well.)

OP, why did you start this thread on exactly the same thing as your earlier thread? Why not just re-read all those answers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate