Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:15 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times

Advertisements

The buyer can ASK for anything.
We made an offer on a house from an estate sale many years ago. We offered the asking price, then just for grins I asked that the classic car be left in the garage. The sellers said no, which I honestly expected, but it was worth a try. Ultimately, we did not buy that place, but the vehicle had nothing to do with us walking away. I discovered the electrical system had never been upgraded!
When we bought our current house, I asked for the lawn tractor. The seller said it would cost an extra $400. I agreed, and the tractor was written up on a separate bill of sale. The Realtor said it would be simpler that way, the tractor would not be included on the mortgage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
There are about 4-5 pieces in my house that I would decline to sell for any price. Family stuff.
The rest, whatever, as long as there was enough money on the table, I could walk away.
Demanding personal property after contract may be a bit crummy, but I have see people swap stuff in lieu of repairs, too.

I agree with Rakin. Be careful of upsetting an underwriter, or of engaging in mortgage fraud.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
I think its common with vacation homes.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 PM

351 posts, read 491,555 times
When I sold my house last December, the buyers wanted my new couch, and the TV and barstools in the basement. I was surprised - but not insulted. I let them take the TV and barstools. I didn't want the TV (too big; too hard to sell) or the barstools anyway. The buyers felt like they got a deal.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:01 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
When we bought this house, it came with the contents, but nobody had lived in the house for twenty seven years except termites so there wasn't much to salvage.

Buying a house is like any other deal between two people, you negotiate different things. One person can ask for the furniture or even the pet cat and the others can always say 'no' or 'yes' depending on their own desires. I think folks have gotten too used to retail where you go in and buy things without any negotiating.

Around here, houses are frequently sold with the appliances. A water heater is sort of part of the house so those are almost always left in place. Stoves and refrigerators are frequently left, too. Microwaves usually travel with their people, though. Horses and cats are occasionally sold to the new owners, dogs not as often. I'd suspect each deal is different and it doesn't hurt the buyers to ask if it's done nicely and not trying to take advantage, IMHO.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:14 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
When we bought this house, it came with the contents, but nobody had lived in the house for twenty seven years except termites so there wasn't much to salvage.

Buying a house is like any other deal between two people, you negotiate different things. One person can ask for the furniture or even the pet cat and the others can always say 'no' or 'yes' depending on their own desires. I think folks have gotten too used to retail where you go in and buy things without any negotiating.

Around here, houses are frequently sold with the appliances. A water heater is sort of part of the house so those are almost always left in place. Stoves and refrigerators are frequently left, too. Microwaves usually travel with their people, though. Horses and cats are occasionally sold to the new owners, dogs not as often. I'd suspect each deal is different and it doesn't hurt the buyers to ask if it's done nicely and not trying to take advantage, IMHO.
appliances can be location specific. Where I've lived, a stove and an installed over the range micro are included, although a countertop microwave might not be. Furnace and hot water heater always convey. Fridge and washer and dryer are generally more seller discretion. When I sold at the end of 2014, the listing said that the fridge was conveyed, the washer and dryer did not. But during the negotiations, the buyer increased the price but asked that I leave the washer and dryer. Since the amount they increased the offer was more the w/d had cost originally, of course it made no sense to risk the deal by saying no.

Furnishings are at the discretion of the parties, although need to be outside of the house contract as they are not part of the house. 2 houses ago, I was moving out of state, and left a somewhat beat up kitchen table and chairs, figuring that people viewing the place might want a chance to sit down and a surface to write at if the wanted to take notes or write up an offer. There was a dumpster onsite (condo) so the new owner could easily dispose of it when they needed to. But otherwise, everything was cleared out and the place was shown empty. For my last sale, the buyer didn't ask for any furniture and I didn't offer it, although I had a couple of pieces I would have let them keep if they had wanted.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:16 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
In my area, appliances are always included unless specified otherwise - however - this is NOT the topic of this thread.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:28 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A lender will not allow furniture or other personal property to be in the contract (usually). If there is a deal to be made, it should be done on the side.

They are loaning money on Real Estate, not personal property.
The couple I mentioned paid cash.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:31 PM

460 posts, read 778,570 times
I probably wouldn't let a deal fall through over it, but it is reasonable to ask for some compensation for the furniture in a separate contract.

Assuming this is after the initial offer and they walk because of it, I assume they would forfeit their earnest money?

Old 03-28-2016, 02:37 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
I probably wouldn't let a deal fall through over it, but it is reasonable to ask for some compensation for the furniture in a separate contract.

Assuming this is after the initial offer and they walk because of it, I assume they would forfeit their earnest money?
I see you are in NC. IF they make the request during the Due Diligence Period, they could walk away and successfully claim their earnest money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate