Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:34 PM

936 posts, read 2,082,521 times

Advertisements

I recently bought my dream home. And I have an interesting and long story to share.

I started looking for a house in April of 2015. Very early on, I was determined to buy a either a townhome or patio home in a very nice townhome complex half a mile to a mile from work (the complex is half a mile long). The built quality is excellent and there are many mature trees that make various parts of the complex seem like a park.

I fell in love with a house inside the complex, it was the perfect size and in a perfect location in the complex, but it was listed at $600K, $70K out of my range. My target price was $530K. For 3 months, when I go home from work, I took the longer route and drove to this house, stopped in the front just to look at it and then go home never thinking that I could afford it. In July the price was then lowered to $575K, still too high for me and then finally it was lowered to $550K in September 2015. I made a full offer. The owner accepted it and we went into escrow. 4 days later, the owner (husband) passed away. The wife has passed away in April. Both died in the hospital. The wife was 91 and the husband was 92 and they were original owners since 1974. I went through the process of probate sale and finally completed the purchase with the son in January of 2016.

When I took possession of the house, the son has not done cleaning it up and I allowed him to pick up many items two weeks later. One night, I came to the house to clean up before moving in. The picture of the deceased mother was still on the wall. I thought she looks very familiar but couldn't remember where I had met her. As I moved around to clean the house, her eyes sort of followed me . I left earlier than planned.

The son showed up to pick up the picture of his mom and other stuffs. Suddenly, he asked if I am Vietnamese. I answered yes. He told me that his mom used to teach ESL to Vietnamese students in Long Beach and that she loved them, and she also loved the house. Sensing that I love the house, he told me that his mom would have been glad that I bought this house. And then he left.

Suddenly, I remembered that I came to this country as a refugee and started 9 grade in High School in Long Beach in 1989 and because my English was so poor, the school assigned me a tutor, a teacher who was semi retired. She taught me 1 hour a day, for one semester. She was so nice and so patient with me and made me feel very comfortable. She gave me a box of See's candies on the last day of school. She wrapped the box with yellow wrapping paper. I remembered that so vividly because it was the first gift I have ever received from someone other than my parents. It was very unexpected, someone gave me a gift. Like most beginning English learners, American names and faces were very difficult to remember so I forgot her name. I also forgot her face because it was 26 years ago. She was also considerably older in the picture hung in the house but it was her.

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 03-28-2016 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 11:44 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
What an amazing story. Thank you for sharing it. All the best in your next home.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
That's amazing, jimmy.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I recently bought my dream home. And I have an interesting and long story to share.

I started looking for a house in April of 2015. Very early on, I was determined to buy a either a townhome or patio home in a very nice townhome complex half a mile to a mile from work (the complex is half a mile long). The built quality is excellent and there are many mature trees that make various parts of the complex seem like a park.

I fell in love with a house inside the complex, it was the perfect size and in a perfect location in the complex, but it was listed at $600K, $70K out of my range. My target price was $530K. For 3 months, when I go home from work, I took the longer route and drove to this house, stopped in the front just to look at it and then go home never thinking that I could afford it. In July the price was then lowered to $575K, still too high for me and then finally it was lowered to $550K in September 2015. I made a full offer. The owner accepted it and we went into escrow. 4 days later, the owner (husband) passed away. The wife has passed away in April. Both died in the hospital. The wife was 91 and the husband was 92 and they were original owners since 1974. I went through the process of probate sale and finally completed the purchase with the son in January of 2016.

When I took possession of the house, the son has not done cleaning it up and I allowed him to pick up many items two weeks later. One night, I came to the house to clean up before moving in. The picture of the deceased mother was still on the wall. I thought she looks very familiar but couldn't remember where I had met her. As I moved around to clean the house, her eyes sort of followed me . I left earlier than planned.

The son showed up to pick up the picture of his mom and other stuffs. Suddenly, he asked if I am Vietnamese. I answered yes. He told me that his mom used to teach ESL to Vietnamese students in Long Beach and that she loved them, and she also loved the house. Sensing that I love the house, he told me that his mom would have been glad that I bought this house. And then he left.

Suddenly, I remembered that I came to this country as a refugee and started 9 grade in High School in Long Beach in 1989 and because my English was so poor, the school assigned me a tutor, a teacher who was semi retired. She taught me 1 hour a day, for one semester. She was so nice and so patient with me and made me feel very comfortable. She gave me a box of See's candies on the last day of school. She wrapped the box with yellow wrapping paper. I remembered that so vividly because it was the first gift I have ever received from someone other than my parents. It was very unexpected, someone gave me a gift. Like most beginning English learners, American names and faces were very difficult to remember so I forgot her name. I also forgot her face because it was 26 years ago. She was also considerably older in the picture hung in the house but it was her.
Cool story congrats on your home. Your writing and English is really good for having started school in the US in 9th grade.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Wonderful story - and I've followed your long path to buying this house since it started in 2015. Congratulations and best wishes for joy and a long life in your new home!

May I make a small suggestion that you write a letter or a card to the son with the wonderful story? I can assure you that he, his children and likely his grandchildren would treasure that knowledge that her beloved home us now yours.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:47 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
What a wonderful story!!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:22 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Wow! Very cool story.

Old 03-29-2016, 04:34 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Great story! Enjoy the house!

Old 03-29-2016, 05:43 PM

89 posts, read 83,070 times
This story made me smile Congrats on the new home!

Old 03-29-2016, 06:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
That's a incredible story man. Congrats on the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate