Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,297,425 times

Advertisements

In my parents' last house they had a cooktop on the island, and it was great. The island was huge and had seating for six - my mom frequently hosted classes that involved cooking, and the young ladies in attendance enjoyed being close up to see what she was doing.

The fan was a downdraft, and they never had issues in the 20 years they lived in that house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 16,005 times
If you otherwise like the house then you could consider buying it and just getting a range installed where you prefer. It would be a small financial amount as compared to the total purchase price of the house.

I've seen people buy in this price range and completely gut various improvements that were nearly new to begin with. I can't see the range location as being a deal-breaker in this price 'range'.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I was reading this and thinking what are you all talking about. My first thought was someone built a shooting range on an island and the neighbors were upset because some of them liked to enjoy eating on the island. I have been to outdoor shooting ranges and you can still eat there if you choose. I was thinking why would they want a shooting range on an island with million dollar homes.

It took me a while but I did figure it out. If you don't like the island in your kitchen because it has a cook top then change your home around. Remodel and build what you want.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:22 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I was reading this and thinking what are you all talking about. My first thought was someone built a shooting range on an island and the neighbors were upset because some of them liked to enjoy eating on the island. I have been to outdoor shooting ranges and you can still eat there if you choose. I was thinking why would they want a shooting range on an island with million dollar homes.

It took me a while but I did figure it out. If you don't like the island in your kitchen because it has a cook top then change your home around. Remodel and build what you want.
Oh, yeah....if it's a gas range, just hammer out all the walls and the slab foundation, and run new gas pipe to the location you want. Pull out the bottom cabinets, install cooktop in re-installed cabinets, and install venting through the upper cabinets and into the attic and outside through the roof, and get a vent hood. No problem! Don't forget to replace the top of the island with something that blends with the existing countertops. Just $10,000...no problem!

Actually, that's not feasible in my price range. You just have to buy a house with a kitchen that's acceptable. The kitchen, to me, is the most important room in the house. And placement of the sink and stove/range are critical.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are signficantly more BENDS in any downdraft exhaust ducting than a properly designed overhead style exhaust. Each of those bends means and extra restriction in air flow, an extra 'pocket' hat collect flamable grease, extra joints that can leak... Kitchen Exhaust Fan | Ask The Builder
I've read complaints about the downdraft type of vents. I wouldn't want one.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
"This is a deal breaker for me. We're house shopping and our otherwise perfect house had the island cook tops.

Cook tops are portable.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I like the cooktop on one end of the island. Makes it so much easier to serve soup, chili, spaghetti, hot dishes... Not all this toting hot food back and forth to the table. Works particularly well when you have people eating on all sorts of different schedules. As pointed out above, it's ideal for buffets.

Not sure what the danger would be be? People inadvertently burning themselves while eating lunch?
Because there is a walkway all hte way around an island, making it dangerous that a pan could get knocked off the stove, either because the walker is carrying something that sticks out, or because a pan handle is sticking out over the edge of the island. There is also splatter danger to people walking by. (There is no backsplash, so grease will splatter into the walkway.)

In some areas, it's against code to put a cooktop on an island, under certain conditions (maybe too small an island or whatever).

In my price range, some of the islands aren't much bigger than the cooktop, so it's even more dangerous, and there's not much room to remove big pots to and have a plate there, too.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 PM

417 posts, read 734,216 times
I always see these in listings too and thought I was the only one that hated them! Defeats the whole purpose of an island IMO as well!

We have a downdraft and it is so old (assuming from early 90s when kitchen was remodeled) and works so well though! You can smell dinner much better anywhere in the back yard than in the house. It's shocking. No idea on how we will remodel the kitchen in the future, but for now, this downdraft really serves its purpose and has lived a long life!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:59 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,871 times
I think its a preference....some people want to look out while they cook, others do not.

I contemplated it on my new house, but did not do it b/c I prefer a hood rather than down draft due to noise....Also, if you do an island cooktop you cant have one of those cool pot fillers....which BTW, are THE most expensive water faucet in any house.

I had plenty of space for a cooktop in my island though that would not have been dangerous. My island is just slightly less than 2 full slabs of marble. It is giant. Its only got seating for 5, due to the way we laid out the cabinets, but you can easily stand 15 or more people around it.

In the end its a preference, just like a sink. Some folks REQUIRE the kitchen sink be under a window, usually looking into the back yard....but many new homes have the kitchen in the center of the house where a window is not feasible. In those instances the sink is usually in the island.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:48 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF123 View Post
If you otherwise like the house then you could consider buying it and just getting a range installed where you prefer. It would be a small financial amount as compared to the total purchase price of the house.

I've seen people buy in this price range and completely gut various improvements that were nearly new to begin with. I can't see the range location as being a deal-breaker in this price 'range'.
Not if you're on a slab. The cost (and risk to the integrity if the slab) when you have to put in new water and gas lines would likely send most people running for the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate