Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 05:46 PM

57 posts, read 99,956 times

Advertisements

So im trying to get some info for a friend. They are in the process of selling their house, and its been onb the market for almost 3 weeks with no showings. What could be the problem with the listing? It seems to be priced accordingly and its a beautiful house with lots of features.
If anything it seems under-priced, but im no expert. I was wondering what you guys thought?

Any info would be helpful that i could pass along to them.

Here is the listing: 61 Windermere Avenue, Ellington, CT For Sale | Trulia.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It says it's in an industrial zone?

And is that a self-storage business behind it?

Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
Well, it has zero curb appeal, in my opinion. Bland grey color with no landscaping. Not a single shrub anywhere. Inside, it looks like a grandparent's farmhouse. It looks like they did some newer upgrades in the kitchen and baths, yet I still see 70s cabinets. It is clean, no doubt. I think the problem is finding a buyer who wants an old farmhouse. What does their realtor think is the reason they haven't had any showings?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It says it's in an industrial zone?

And is that a self-storage business behind it?
I believe it is a storage unit behind them, and i do believe its zoned so you could work from home or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Well, it has zero curb appeal, in my opinion. Bland grey color with no landscaping. Not a single shrub anywhere. Inside, it looks like a grandparent's farmhouse. It looks like they did some newer upgrades in the kitchen and baths, yet I still see 70s cabinets. It is clean, no doubt. I think the problem is finding a buyer who wants an old farmhouse. What does their realtor think is the reason they haven't had any showings?
The agent isnt sure, but they are having an open house in the coming days. It may be the farmhouse thing, i guess that is unique. It is amazing inside, but i think you are right that you have to find someone looking for a farmhouse.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysoperror404 View Post
I believe it is a storage unit behind them, and i do believe its zoned so you could work from home or something like that.
"Work from home" would be pretty different from "industrial" in most municipalities.

If there's a chance the nearby tracts could become true industrial properties, then this home's residential value is seriously threatened. It's weird, though, because there are clearly new subdivisions going in around them. That could be hurting them as well, as an older larger farm property will only appeal to a limited pool of buyers.

Most buyers don't want to invest in a home only to have a factory built across the street in a couple of years.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I like it. If the master was downstairs I would be looking at it. I can't tell you much about the price because in my area that would buy nothing so to me it's a great price.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
"Work from home" would be pretty different from "industrial" in most municipalities.

If there's a chance the nearby tracts could become true industrial properties, then this home's residential value is seriously threatened. It's weird, though, because there are clearly new subdivisions going in around them. That could be hurting them as well, as an older larger farm property will only appeal to a limited pool of buyers.

Most buyers don't want to invest in a home only to have a factory built across the street in a couple of years.
I believe the property across the st is farmland thats used for corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I like it. If the master was downstairs I would be looking at it. I can't tell you much about the price because in my area that would buy nothing so to me it's a great price.
The master bedroom is on the first floor!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysoperror404 View Post
I believe the property across the st is farmland thats used for corn.
Today it is. Tomorrow?

Who knows. It looks like that town's population grew by 20% from 2000-2010, so it's obviously an attractive area for many.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I see some nice sized rooms, and a couple of updated bathrooms, but I also see three(4?) different color cabinets in the kitchen. They would definitely benefit by hiring a stager. And a stager would not put a pinball machine in the same space as a vintage piano and plaster angel decor. And he/she would advise them to get rid of a lot of the clutter, clear off the counter tops, and pick one style to showcase the house.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
It says it was built in 1874! Surely this is a typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate