Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 5,690 times

Advertisements

Hello, I hope this is the right forum. I am looking at buying a timeshare off of a website that acts as the Transaction Broker. They essentially just act as a host for me and others to find timeshares that other people are selling but don't seem to take ownership of anything themselves. When I asked them about licensing, they said that they use a reputable Title company and they act as the Transaction Broker to be a neutral party between buyer and seller.

I noticed that this company is not registered as an LLC or registered at all in the state where the Title company is located. Is this an issue or a red flag? Are they even required to be a registered company with the state where the Title company is located? The Title company is located in the state where the timeshare i'm looking to purchase is. The Transaction Broker is in another state.

Any clarity on the above would be really helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 08:37 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,339,452 times
Don't do it. Spend sometime researching online everything I've read says it's not a good deal.

https://investorjunkie.com/91/why-bu...is-a-bad-idea/

Old 01-22-2016, 08:48 PM

4,629 posts, read 7,561,420 times
How familiar are you with timeshares? Have you visited the actual timeshare location in person?

Do you know that with timeshare contracts you will be liable for things like property taxes, maintenance fees, utilities, insurance and special assessments? If you fail to keep current on all of the expenses and fees, the timeshare can foreclose on your timeshare -- then sell it again, and again....

Were you thinking of this as an investment? Because timeshares are difficult to resell and owners often lose money on them.

Have you researched the ownership of the location on your own, to make sure the website is legit? There are a lot of timeshare scams on the Internet.

If it were me I would be taking a trip to see the location in person before committing to buying anything.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:37 AM

7 posts, read 5,690 times
This would not be for an investment, we're looking at buying for that. This would be purely to use for our family and would get plenty of use out of it with our large family. We've also visited the location and it is not a permanent time share.

Our main question is still if the transaction broker website, who doesnt have an office in the state where the timeshare is located, is breaking any rules by facilitating this sale in Florida.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:08 AM

6,834 posts, read 11,578,641 times
I would contact the Attorney General's office in both states and see what sort of complaints they have received about this company.

Old 01-23-2016, 03:30 AM

8,579 posts, read 12,443,174 times
Getting "plenty" of use out of a timeshare is probably not the right word to use. If you really want to buy a timeshare, you are one of the very few people who feel that way. Most of the people I know who own a timeshare, rue the day that they got suckered into...er, bought into, a timeshare.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:08 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,792,959 times
Don't do it, timeshares are horrible and have never ending maintenance fees of more than $1,000 for the week. It's a scam, they say it's a maintenance fee but for $52000 a year which is what everyone is paying it 's much more than a mortgage and all associated costs.

Also look for someone selling it on EBay for $1. they are notoriously hard to get out of and people want to give them away for free because they are worthless and can't.

They come with a lot of things you are not aware of, such as extra fees, extra exchange clubs you have to join, parking fees, family transfer use fees, these are starting at $100 for the week each. Also if you want to use your week the first year will be fine, that's the sucker year, the next year they will tell you nothing is available, even 9 months earlier and you have to pay a several transfer fees to go to one of their other properties.

When you hear timeshare RUN!!!!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:08 AM

40,960 posts, read 49,272,120 times
I have never, ever met anyone who did not regret buying a timeshare. No way would I buy one.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:15 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have never, ever met anyone who did not regret buying a timeshare. No way would I buy one.
Exactly. My dad tried to pawn his timeshare off on me. He offered it to me for FREE and I refused. I was shocked that my father, a petroleum engineer, was suckered into buying one. He usually makes such wise financial decisions. They are so difficult to get rid of that oftentimes the victim's (whoops owners) decendants are saddled with them, and all the payments, even after the owner dies. Doing more traditional vacations or just buying an RV and traveling across the country is a much smarter idea.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:41 AM

43,366 posts, read 77,251,084 times
We went to a timeshare sales presentation years ago and came away with only a set of deluxe steak knives.
I suspect we came out much farther ahead than those who fell for the pitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate