Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 04:24 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,633,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If you're so "fragile" that a glade plug-in will send you into a spin, you should only be looking at new builds. My costco store has 2 pallets of plug-ins on the floor, because lots of normal (non delicate) people enjoy them.
Normal people enjoy them? No, it's called ignorance, as Glade PlugIns contain phthalates which are harmful to humans, fragile or not. But don't take my word for it.

Quote:
Have you read the labels of your synthetic air fresheners?
The ingredients in air fresheners can be toxic to your health and can be responsible for causing irregular heartbeats, headaches, depression, earaches, and diarrhea in babies.
All of these symptoms can be traced back to the phthalates that are found in most common air fresheners.

What Are Phthalates?

Phthalates are chemicals that are added to your air freshener in order to sustain the fragrance in the product for a longer period of time. Although you naturally want your air freshener to retain its pleasant scent for as long as possible, phthalates are considered highly toxic, particularly for children and babies.

Further Dangers

Phthalates have also been linked to an increase of diabetes and obesity in children who are exposed to the harmful chemical.
Beware of Toxic Air Fresheners - Daily Health Post
Here's a partial list of products containing phthalates:

Quote:
Highest levels of phthalates:
  • Walgreens Air Freshener Spray (removed from shelves)
  • Walgreens Scented Bouquet Air Fresheners (removed from shelves)
  • Walgreens Solid Air Fresheners (removed from shelves)
  • Ozium Glycolized Air Sanitizer
Medium levels of phthalates:
  • Air Wick Scented Oil
  • Febreze NOTICEables Scented Oil
  • Glade Air Infusions
  • Glade PlugIn Scented Oil
  • Oust Air Sanitizer Spray
Low levels or no phthalates detected:
  • Citrus Magic
  • Febreze Air Effects Air Refresher
  • Lysol Brand II Disinfectant
  • Oust Fan Liquid Refills
  • Renuzit Subtle Effects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:48 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,589,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Normal people enjoy them? No, it's called ignorance, as Glade PlugIns contain phthalates which are harmful to humans, fragile or not. But don't take my word for it.

Here's a partial list of products containing phthalates:
yeah, and you'll die if you submerge yourself in dihydrogen monoxide too long too.

Grow up - not everyone selling a house is Snidely Whiplash, trying to "trick" you somehow.

You can't "cover" mold, cat ****, or cigarette smoke smells with a plug-in.

FFS, there was a three-page thread on here a couple days ago about someone who saw <gasp>, a TOILET BRUSH! during an open house.

News flash, toilet brushes & air fresheners are just as likely to be necessary in houses that are for sale because the people touring them leave bombs in unflushed toilets & other assorted nastiness. I'll gladly remove both the air fresheners *and* the toilet brush from the next home I sell, if you'll agree to wear a butt-plug when you're viewing it.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:24 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,671,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
The interesting thing to me is that conventional wisdom says it's a good idea to bake cookies, a cake, etc. before showings and open houses so the home smells good but use a vanilla (or similar) candle or plug in and people have fits. Personally, unless it is overwhelmingly strong, I like certain scents in homes when showing but I have had people with me who have thought the same smells were horrendous.

Like everything else in real estate, you can never please everyone and some things that appeal to some can repulse others. It can be paint color, cabinets, counter tops, floor plan, decor.....and smell.
It's different when it is a natural smell. Those scented items vary a lot -- some vanilla fragrances do indeed smell like you are baking. But others smell really fake and awful.

I've found that most of these air fresheners don't really mask an oder. Instead, what you get is a combination of "rainstorm" or "beach" or strawberry or whatever with urine.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:56 PM

23,863 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
The interesting thing to me is that conventional wisdom says it's a good idea to bake cookies, a cake, etc. before showings and open houses so the home smells good but use a vanilla (or similar) candle or plug in and people have fits. Personally, unless it is overwhelmingly strong, I like certain scents in homes when showing but I have had people with me who have thought the same smells were horrendous.

Like everything else in real estate, you can never please everyone and some things that appeal to some can repulse others. It can be paint color, cabinets, counter tops, floor plan, decor.....and smell.

Most people like apple pie! Sold two houses that way. And unlike a plug in, you get to eat it later.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:58 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,633,543 times
Quote:
yeah, and you'll die if you submerge yourself in dihydrogen monoxide too long too.

Grow up - not everyone selling a house is Snidely Whiplash, trying to "trick" you somehow.

You can't "cover" mold, cat ****, or cigarette smoke smells with a plug-in.

FFS, there was a three-page thread on here a couple days ago about someone who saw <gasp>, a TOILET BRUSH! during an open house.

News flash, toilet brushes & air fresheners are just as likely to be necessary in houses that are for sale because the people touring them leave bombs in unflushed toilets & other assorted nastiness. I'll gladly remove both the air fresheners *and* the toilet brush from the next home I sell, if you'll agree to wear a butt-plug when you're viewing it.
Geez, that was gay....

Old 04-06-2016, 07:23 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,618,102 times
First thing we tell our listing clients on a walk-through: "Lose the air fresheners. Now."

Most people don't like them. That's reason enough to ditch them if you are trying to sell a house. If it's your house, and your like "fresh floral fragrance", then hey, have at it. If you are trying to SELL a house, then they just make people suspicious and make them gag. NOT what you want them to remember when you are selling your house!

I understand it, I really do. People think that "oh, after a few minutes, no one will notice it, their nose will get used to it, and it will leave a subliminal fresh smell." Nope. That's the marketing. That's not the reality.

Clean your dang house -- THAT impresses clients. Air fresheners aren't going to hide a dirty rug, a bathroom that hasn't been scrubbed to within an inch of its life, or the litter box in the laundry room.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,256,519 times
When our house begins smelling funky -- it happens in every house from time to time -- I launder all the linens and check the shoes. Truth be told, it's almost always the shoes in a house with teenagers. Oh, who am I kidding? A whiff of just one pair of ripe shoes from my son's room could scare off the most intrepid of guests. A buyer would run screaming. Seriously, though, odors most often arise from pets, kitchen garbage bins, and laundry. Keep those clean, and you won't need an air freshener.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:18 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,333,454 times
Ok, why is it that people think that the presence of air fresheners means that you haven't cleaned your house? Did anyone ever think that I just happen to like smelling "Cinnamon Stick" "Hibiscus" "Cinnamon Pumpkin" or whatever scent I care to use? I like coming into a house that smells like cinnamon and I don't need to bake an apple pie (which will only fatten my waistline) to achieve that effect. I can understand the removal of them when it's time to sell a house (though I did keep one plugged in and I had not one complaint) but otherwise there's a place for air fresheners in a home if people desire to use them. I'll take cinnamon stick over the smell of "workplace bathroom", which is what the scent of household cleaners is.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,488,059 times
Quote:
If you're so "fragile" that a glade plug-in will send you into a spin, you should only be looking at new builds. My costco store has 2 pallets of plug-ins on the floor, because lots of normal (non delicate) people enjoy them.
When I go into a store and smell anything but clean air and I leave. No store is worth getting a migraine. I think there should be a law against having them in public places. I have also heard they are fire hazards in homes. Ask the fire fighters about this.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 PM

5,494 posts, read 6,411,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I didn't know they made those in 1945 and 1948 Seriously I have no idea what you mean by those numbers.
Good one! I also did not understand the numbers with the measurement (feet) mark. They went into the home only 45 or 48 feet before leaving due to the smell of the air fresheners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate