Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 2,839 times

Advertisements

Hi I bought a single tenant commercial shop who is not on lease contact but he is paying rant on time. I want him to sign the 1 year lease contact. He is taking time to sign the contact and whenever I ask him about the leasing papers he says he has not signed yet this is been going on for 2 months. As a landlord, am I risking anything without having any legal contact in place for the tenant?

what is the risk involved he is doesn't sing the lease document?

Thanks in advance
jsr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 11:04 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Was he under a lease agreement with the prior owner when you bought the building? If so, and if it hasn't expired, that lease would still be valid.

If there is no lease whatsoever, if there was a month-to-month agreement, or if there was only a verbal agreement, then he would be a month-to-month tenant. Laws vary by state, but it is usually easier to evict a month-to-month tenant as opposed to someone with a lease. The primary downside is that the tenant can also up and move on short notice, and is not bound for a specified term.

You could always say that you're thinking about raising the rent, but that you'll keep the rent as-is if he can sign the lease ASAP. Again, the primary risk is that he could opt to move and you'd be stuck with a vacant building for a while.

If you don't have documentation from the previous owner, make sure to document the condition of the building before entering a lease. Had he paid a security deposit or last month's rent to the prior owner?

Old 04-14-2016, 06:08 PM

Thanks Jackmichigan

His lease was expired with old owner now he is not on lease. Other than the short notice and opt to move out is there any other risk to the owner?

Thanks
jsr

Old 04-14-2016, 08:52 PM

6,487 posts, read 10,363,068 times
If the tenant decided to vacate the property and trash it before moving out? That's an important potential issue that comes to mind.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Do you have a copy of the expired lease?

Old 04-15-2016, 06:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Maybe he is not sure about the 1 year lease term? Possibly you can do the lease as 'month-to-month' which means either party can give 30 day notice to end the lease. Also with month-to-month the landlord can raise the rent or change the rules with 30 day notice.

IMO, having month to month lease has advantages for the landlord. You can decide that the tenant is a pain in the neck and you simply give 30 day notice to end lease and you don't have to wait until lease end for this.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Even if his lease has expired, there should be something in there that states what happens if it goes month to month. He basically is still agreeing to follow all the rules set forth in the lease. An expiration doesn't void the contract. There is an automatic month to month clause.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:03 PM

Tenant was ready for 1 yr lease I prepared the lease papers and gave it to him for his signature. its been almost 3 month he is not signing them whenever I message him or call him he says he will sign it and send it. Basically I am tired chasing him. I do not know what's there in his mind. I do not want to chase him anymore but I would like to know what is risk having a tenant without lease agreement although I have a old lease which expired years ago from previous owner. Right now I do not want to vacate him as he is the only tenants on the property once I get couple of tenants then I want to talk to him but I do not want to risk anything without not being on lease.

from your great answers what I understand is, there is no risk expect for the trash or move out thing. please let me know if a tenant can take on me for anything or should i be careful of anything

once again thanks for all your advises and tips

jsr

Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Why don't you walk into this place of business with the lease in hand and ask for him to sign it?

Old 04-15-2016, 12:53 PM

he is not available in his store. he has multiple stores so he manages with employees. I went couple of times but employee says he is not here we will let him know that you are here. I can only reach him either by phone or message and his standard answer is I got the lease papers I will look into it and sign it but it is not happenining
that's why I wanted to know whether I am in risk not having the lease in place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate