Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM

686 posts, read 730,087 times

Advertisements

What do you think when you see a toilet plunger sitting in the bathroom when you go see an occupied home? Do you automatically think the plumbing is bad or do you not pay any attention to it?

I only bring this up because I have a co-worker who was talking about this today. Apparently when she went looking at homes this past weekend, she was turned off by homes that had a plunger sitting by the toilet. She said it made her think that plumbing wasn't good.
I personally never thought about it and never really paid that close of attention. To me, its just another fixture for bathrooms...like a toilet brush or towels or toilet paper.
I can see where it may make a person think that the toilet doesn't work right, but it wouldn't deter me from buying a home if I liked the rest of the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:56 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,826,103 times
It's not a big deal, perhaps they have no other place to keep it. All you have to do is ask if you can flush the toilet, if it doesn't flush then it's a problem. Maybe close the door and wad up some toilet paper and flush it.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 03-14-2016 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-14-2016, 09:56 AM

424 posts, read 670,259 times
I wouldn't think "Gee, I wonder if the plumbing has issues."

But, I would think "Gross."

Old 03-14-2016, 09:57 AM

424 posts, read 670,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's not a big deal, perhaps they have no other place to keep it.
Garage?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
Garage?
Does every home have one?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,969,053 times
Default Nope. Put it away.

It would definitely raise flags with me. I would not/do not leave one out for the simple fact that they are incredibly gross and dirty. If a homeowner is willing to leave one out during a showing, the plumbing must be really bad and you're not going to have enough time to run to a closet, etc. At least, that's what my thought process would be. Buyers are a nervous lot anyway.

Along those lines, I was walking with my dog thru my neighborhood the other day and admired this really cute house that's been for sale now for a few weeks now. It's very pretty, lovely landscaping, and I figure it will sell shortly. Anyway......

The owners have now placed a sign in the yard that asks owners to clean up after their dogs. That's when I realized that the house is directly on the paved dog walking path. We live in a huge dog community. I have issues with people letting dogs go on my front lawn and I'm not even on the dog path. I hate cleaning up after other people's dogs. I will even confront people who leave poop on my lawn. Had the owner not put up that sign, I don't know that I ever would've realized that house had that issue.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:22 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,863,306 times
I've never had anyone say anything about it. It should be sitting in a corner of a bathroom inconspicuously or in the cabinet under the sink. They are a necessity every once in a while, and storing it in the garage doesn't make sense for emergency reasons.

Just like the scrubbing thing. No one ever says, "Oh my, the toilet must get dirty and they need to clean it, gross!"

Old 03-14-2016, 10:24 AM

If you are going to pass up the perfect home because the owners do not have the common sense to remove it then you lack common sense yourself. You should not buy a home without it being inspected. The inspection will find problems if there are any. A person who does have toilet would most likely hide it anyway for showings.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 AM

686 posts, read 730,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you are going to pass up the perfect home because the owners do not have the common sense to remove it then you lack common sense yourself. You should not buy a home without it being inspected. The inspection will find problems if there are any. A person who does have toilet would most likely hide it anyway for showings.

Who is the "you" you're talking about?
I think most people have toilets in their bathroom so I'm confused about the last sentence as well. "A person who does have toilet" ?

The original question wasn't an inspection issue. I was just asking if people were turned off by seeing this or if they don't think it was a big deal.
Me- no big deal......my co-worker- it was a turn off.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM

14,609 posts, read 12,279,420 times
I would not think the plumbing is bad.
A plunger doesn't help if it was.

I might think the homeowners need more fiber in their diet.
Which isn't perhaps what we should be thinking about.

I would hide it in a cabinet if it has one. If it doesn't, then not much that can be done but stand it in a corner. It should NOT be in the garage. When you need one, you need one NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate