Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:07 PM

8,563 posts, read 12,342,073 times

Advertisements

You first need to determine what the zoning ordinance allows. If you only have two acres, you may not be able to split the property and meet minimum lot size requirements.

Beyond that, there may be restrictions on the amount of land you need to own to install a septic system. There are often set back requirements regarding septic fields, and you may be required to have space for a separate septic field in the event you need to replace the initial septic field.

Once you determine whether it's even possible to divide the property, then you can look into the division process and work with surveyors to revise the legal descriptions. While the division process may be handled on the County level, in many areas it would be done through the local municipality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:12 PM

87 posts, read 76,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
You first need to determine what the zoning ordinance allows. If you only have two acres, you may not be able to split the property and meet minimum lot size requirements.

Beyond that, there may be restrictions on the amount of land you need to own to install a septic system. There are often set back requirements regarding septic fields, and you may be required to have space for a separate septic field in the event you need to replace the initial septic field.

Once you determine whether it's even possible to divide the property, then you can look into the division process and work with surveyors to revise the legal descriptions. While the division process may be handled on the County level, in many areas it would be done through the local municipality.
Yes. We will be calling a lot of people tomorrow based on the advice I have gotten thus far. I wish I could put a picture of the land on here. Everyone would see there is more than enough land to build on and put in the things we need (septic system, propane, etc.). I just wanted to know if anyone had parceled land before and maybe see a ballpark of what the costs could be.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothygalestolemybroom View Post
Yes. We will be calling a lot of people tomorrow based on the advice I have gotten thus far. I wish I could put a picture of the land on here. Everyone would see there is more than enough land to build on and put in the things we need (septic system, propane, etc.). I just wanted to know if anyone had parceled land before and maybe see a ballpark of what the costs could be.
It doesn't matter what it looks like. In my area, there are areas zoned for a minimum lot size of 5 acres...and there are areas with a minimum lot size of 2 acres. You just need to determine what the zoning ordinance allows at your location. That's where you start.

If allowed, your costs could range from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 PM

87 posts, read 76,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
It doesn't matter what it looks like. In my area, there are areas zoned for a minimum lot size of 5 acres...and there area areas with a minimum lot size of 2 acres. You just need to determine what the zoning ordinance allows at your location. That's where you start.
Thank you again. As I said before, we will be making phone calls tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:54 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,107,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothygalestolemybroom View Post
Yes
Yes
No
No

We live in the country, if that helps.
Probably need to check with the township to see if the split is approve-able.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,267,944 times
Call the Planning Department FIRST!

Then you can go about your quest knowing what you will need to do.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 AM

323 posts, read 375,300 times
Get something in writing from the Planning Department. In many cases, people are told it shouldn't be a problem to split, then run into all sorts of issues.

In my area, a simple parcel split can run $12,000 or more (sometimes significantly more) between agency fees and the survey work. Worth going through some due diligence first.

Couple of things to look into. Zoning, minimum parcel sizes, existing and future utility service, required road and easement dedications, environmental impacts.

When you do the split, the tentative map will be forwarded to all sorts of different departments in the County as well as other local agencies and utility companies. They'll all get a chance to ruin your hopes and dreams. Though you can't get a full review without submitting the initial payment for it, you can get a bit of an idea.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:46 AM
ERH

1,696 posts, read 2,519,168 times
When we did this (broke a 5-acre piece of land into 2 parcels), we had to have a formal sit-down with the Planning Department, present our case, and wait for them to approve it. Even getting on their meeting agenda took a month or so.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,723,300 times
In our area, it is 5 acre minimum lots outside the city. We have 5 acres with 1 side on the road that separates the city and the best area of town. Due to our ages (mid 80s) we will be selling our home and moving down as a 4 level 3,700 sq. ft. home is more than we need except when we have company. The 300 acres next door are for sale and a developer wants to buy part or all of it. If he does, it will be taken into the city, and at the same time I would like to bring ours in too. I can end up with about 6 nice large city lots if we do. Ours on 1 acre, and the others over half an acre. All flat as a board. Worth about $75,000 each. As I have done development in my many years in the real estate business, I know how to do it right. That $300,000 plus profit, would be a nice thing to add to what we are leaving our 3 sons.

You are going to need more than a surveyor to partition the land if you can meet size requirements. You need an engineer to handle it. In fact I would call a local land/development engineers office, talk to them, and they will be able to tell you what is possible in your area, and if you can do it, and save you several calls to the county, etc. And a heck of a lot faster, and they make sure it is done right and not keep having to find more papers, etc. The engineers stamp on legal For a reasonable fee, they can handle the whole thing. Their legal and survey descriptions means a lot more to the county than anyone else trying to do it. They are guaranteeing more or less to the county that the surveys and land descriptions are accurate. This is the way I as a one time professional would do it, and always saved myself a lot of time, and trouble to get it done. If they tell you that zoning size descriptions will not let you do it, believe them as they know what they are talking about.

I would be surprised, if you are able to split the land into two lots, as 2 acres in the country is about the minimum you can build on. In some areas that are more rural, the minimum you can put a home on is 40 acres, as an example.

If you cannot split it, discuss with the engineer the idea of putting another single family dwelling on the same property. As it is family, this is often done and can be approved. In my area, this is almost automatic approval if you apply.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You are going to need more than a surveyor to partition the land if you can meet size requirements. You need an engineer to handle it.
Of course, it all depends upon what is required locally. I split off two acres from an 80 acre parcel (just to sell to a neighbor because he needed more room to replace his septic field)...and all that was required was a new survey depicting the new lot lines. We submitted that to the Township and they handled their end. All done for about $700.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate