Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 02:44 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
On the face of it, I would say my neighbors; but after reading that HOA's can restrict constitutional rights because you enter into a contract agreeing to it, I think I'd rather a governmental body with more accountability handle it.

Of course you shouldn't agree to a contract if you're worried about the provisions, but if you have no choice but to go with an HOA or move to a different region because of state law, then I think there's a problem.

Well you can't complain about government overreach in one post, and then seek the security of government accountability in another post. Did somebody mention cake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:52 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Well you can't complain about government overreach in one post, and then seek the security of government accountability in another post. Did somebody mention cake?
They are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the more accountable a government is, the less overreach occurs.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
They are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the more accountable a government is, the less overreach occurs.

Or....just keep the government out of it in the first place!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Or....just keep the government out of it in the first place!
100% agreed!

The North Carolina Planned Community Act should be repealed. That way people and developers that want HOA's can have them and those that don't are free as well. Everyone wins!

Quote:
Would you rather have a government tell you how you should live, or would you rather you and your neighbors agree on guidelines?
The question in North Carolina is would you rather have the government force you to enter into contracts with neighbors or let you choose whether or not to enter into them?

Last edited by vulfpeck; 04-28-2016 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 03:03 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
100% agreed!

The North Carolina Planned Community Act should be repealed. That way people and developers that want HOA's can have them and those that don't are free as well. Everyone wins!
I think for the way that houses are developed in this area - HOA's made sense. If the primary house building business was via individuals who owned individual plots of lands and built their own houses, an HOA would not be necessary. But with builders building 50 to hundreds of houses at once with individual different amenities within a community, who is going to take care of those amenities and the community once the builder leaves town? A HOA makes sense there.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
No one who dislikes HOAs has to buy into a community with an HOA, whether buying new construction or a resale property.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
100% agreed!

Ugh. I don't think you're getting it. Without HOAs many of the services they provide would need to be taken care of by government. higher taxes. less autonomy.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:07 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Our neighborhood has an HOA, but pretty lenient on house color. Lots of green and blues of all shades. Dark grays, yellows, even a red house. I like seeing the diversity of color.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Ugh. I don't think you're getting it. Without HOAs many of the services they provide would need to be taken care of by government. higher taxes. less autonomy.
So neighborhoods without HOA's pay higher taxes in return for their autonomy?

Oh, I get it. All of us pay higher taxes so they can have autonomy.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:09 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
He definitely gets it. Basically, we are merely "feeding" him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate