Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which home will sell first?
Home "A" 15 28.85%
Home "B" 37 71.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,947,136 times

Advertisements

If two identical homes, side-by-side, on the same street were for sale, with following slight difference, which home do you think would sell first:

- Home "A" has a 30x30 Deck or Patio with a beautiful wooded back yard.

- Home "B" has a 30x30 Enclosed Patio facing the same beautiful wooded back yard.

When making a choice, do not take into account the area of the country the homes are located. Which home do you think the AVERAGE homebuyer will buy, regardless of area of the country.

Last edited by dorado0359; 04-27-2016 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 11:13 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,794,304 times
Sounds like a nice HOA cookie cutter home where someone tried to personalize the sameness by differentiating the back yard a little......but people tell me I'm cynical

Old 04-28-2016, 04:22 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,602,483 times
Location is everything. You can't ignore it, because while an enclosed patio is essential in the south due to the bugs, it's not in the southeast, west, north, etc. Particularly with an overgrown back yard - bug city!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:04 AM

51,635 posts, read 25,736,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Location is everything. You can't ignore it, because while an enclosed patio is essential in the south due to the bugs, it's not in the southeast, west, north, etc. Particularly with an overgrown back yard - bug city!
I beg to differ about the north. I've lived there and I've lived in the west and while decks are grand, screened in porches are the best.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:09 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,355,003 times
one word: Mosquito. Screened is best.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:13 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,227,233 times
The local conditions will ALWAYS be the dominating factor. As already said, if this is seen as a PREMIUM because of things insects being kept away by the screen enclosure vs a negative in areas where no such insect issue exists then AT THE SAME PRICE the enclosed patio sells first (and maybe causes whoever makes an offer on the house w/o this feature make a discount...).

I also have to say that it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to say that even the most "cookie cutter" development that homes with identical floor plans / size are going to be truly identical -- one home may have nasty interior colors that most buyers would want to re-paint and the other home may have much more neutral colors that potential buyers would have no problem living with for a while.

Same kind of thinking happens with exterior 'features' too -- what the homeowner that installed a very basic deck may think is a perfectly usable outdoor space may be perceived by potential buyers as kind of useless if has no shade, a maintenance issue if it was made from lower quality lumber & nails vs more premium materials. Frankly smart buyers that may have had experience with patio enclosures will also know that the inexpensive ones that are not well supported are going to become a safety issue in the first big storm, buyers are not stupid. On the other end, if this is a premium enclosure that is made of long lasting materials don't expect buyers to automatically be motivated to pay anywhere near what it may have cost -- some folks be disappointed that it does not leave enough room for a pool or outdoor kitchen in the backyard and may actually reject this as any kind of 'upgrade' at all...

The OP should look at recent nearby sales in their specific area, ideally right down to their subdivision / street, before making any decisions about what will help sell faster. Even then, the results from recent sales may be influenced by factors that can rapidly shift -- buyers out on dry no-bugs-at-all season may prefer the deck vs those viewing the homes while a cloud of mosquitos are kept away by a nice enclosure...

Old 04-28-2016, 05:27 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,596,959 times
"B" might have a part (a) and part (b)...or create a "C".

"Enclosed" I think of as framed, glass...an indoor feel to the room. Often with heat and a/c.

And I see a couple of people are thinking of enclosed as screened in, which while nice I don't consider enclosed.

There, again, you might have a regional thing.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:36 AM

181 posts, read 492,971 times
I agree with Cully. Enclosed to me means framed and has glass windows: a sun room. That's why I didn't vote, because as others have said, that depends on the region. If the poll had said "screened patio," I'd have voted for that hands down. Bugs are everywhere.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:43 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,041,998 times
The enclosed space is for me. When I first read the options I thought it meant a walled patio. That would be nice because of privacy. Then I thought of screened porch, and that was nice because it could be used when the breezes were pleasant, even if there were bees, mosquitos, whatever. But even if it meant a sunroom/patio one could always add a separate sitting space outside while enjoying the view in the comfort of the indoors. Of course price could be the determinant.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 AM

4,269 posts, read 6,283,299 times
Enclosed (screened) space for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate