Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:46 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,201 times

Advertisements

Some homes doesn't state what is wrong with it but mentioned something like a "good starter home" etc. so I'm assuming all is fine? Must I hire a home inspector to be sure first? These aren't HUD homes that need much "renovations". Also, some properties (if not all) seem to require interested buyer to send an offer (fax or email?) for the property. So if a property is listed for $50K and I offered $30K, if they accept it, I guess it's mine?

Are people allowed to view the property first and ask questions as to what issues to look out for in the house or are homepath properties sold "as is"?

Old 05-05-2016, 06:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
Some homes doesn't state what is wrong with it but mentioned something like a "good starter home" etc. so I'm assuming all is fine? Must I hire a home inspector to be sure first? These aren't HUD homes that need much "renovations". Also, some properties (if not all) seem to require interested buyer to send an offer (fax or email?) for the property. So if a property is listed for $50K and I offered $30K, if they accept it, I guess it's mine?

Are people allowed to view the property first and ask questions as to what issues to look out for in the house or are homepath properties sold "as is"?

First of all, are you seeing these properties listed one homepath.com

If it is, the homes are usually listed by a local listing agent. The local listing company doesn't have to be big. I find it is usually the smaller companies that is contracted with FN Mae.

In most cases, you can look at the properties like most RE listing. You can bring your own buyer agent. Just note that the commission fee is usually set different than the normal listing so your buyer agent may not be interested.

Just note that FNM properties are usually "AS IS". This means don't expect them to fix anything after your inspection. In my experience, I only put in offer as rock bottom price I am willing to pay regardless of inspection results. If the inspections finds bigger trouble than I had originally budget, I cancel the deal and just lose my out of pocket expense. Unless specifically stated in listing, you put offer in FNM properties like traditional RE transaction (contingencies on appraisal, clean title, inspection, etc..)

FNM properties are not for "newbie". While there are decent properties on homepath.com I don't recommend first time home buyer looking at those unless you go into shopping for one with someone experienced (in additional to buyer agent).
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate