Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 AM

3,126 posts, read 5,051,193 times

Advertisements

One thing that irks me about the no shoes showings is that they have no place to sit down to put your shoes back on. If you provide booties or ask that shoes be off please provide a folding chair. I don't think I've once seen this bit of thoughtfulness. The request particularly irks me in the completely empty home when the weather is fine. If you didn't choose flooring that can be walked on please install it on the ceiling where no one will ever walk on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
One thing that irks me about the no shoes showings is that they have no place to sit down to put your shoes back on. If you provide booties or ask that shoes be off please provide a folding chair. I don't think I've once seen this bit of thoughtfulness. The request particularly irks me in the completely empty home when the weather is fine. If you didn't choose flooring that can be walked on please install it on the ceiling where no one will ever walk on it.
I though of that too. It makes me think of older people in particular that really cannot take off their shoes while standing there. My boots can be the same way depending on which ones they are. Another thing, please don't expect people to leave the shoes outside the door. My boots are some of the most expensive things I own, so please be OK with me leaving them inside inside in the entry way.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:29 PM

480 posts, read 1,183,433 times
Didn't read the nine pages of posts...didn't need to.

Here's the deal, folks.

As an appraisal company, we try to respect the wishes of homeowners. If the house is clean and they don't like my cloth boot covers, I MAY remove my work boots. (Note: work boots are protective footwear).

If I have to enter the attic (for an FHA inspection, for example), the work boots stay on.

If I have to enter your partially finished basement or partially finished loft, the work boots stay on.

If your house has evidence of pest infestation, fecal matter or urine from pets, strong odors from an unknown source, etc., the work boots stay on.

Give me a bunch of crap about it, I'll leave and report the situation to the lender who contracted my services. I personally have no stake in whether your house sells, refinances, gets an equity loan, or anything else. All we do is provide a market value to the lender. We personally don't care if you close or not. We're not emotionally involved in it.

And it would never influence our market value opinion. Ever.

But there is no way in hell am I jeopardizing my health and welfare, or that of my partner, because you don't want me walking on your nice clean carpet or floor. Safety first and always.

Again, that's if you don't like my boot covers....

Last edited by TexasDillo; 05-09-2016 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 AM

1,640 posts, read 794,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
Didn't read the nine pages of posts...didn't need to.

Here's the deal, folks.

As an appraisal company, we try to respect the wishes of homeowners. If the house is clean and they don't like my cloth boot covers, I MAY remove my work boots. (Note: work boots are protective footwear).

If I have to enter the attic (for an FHA inspection, for example), the work boots stay on.

If I have to enter your partially finished basement or partially finished loft, the work boots stay on.

If your house has evidence of pest infestation, fecal matter or urine from pets, strong odors from an unknown source, etc., the work boots stay on.

Give me a bunch of crap about it, I'll leave and report the situation to the lender who contracted my services. I personally have no stake in whether your house sells, refinances, gets an equity loan, or anything else. All we do is provide a market value to the lender. We personally don't care if you close or not. We're not emotionally involved in it.

And it would never influence our market value opinion. Ever.

But there is no way in hell am I jeopardizing my health and welfare, or that of my partner, because you don't want me walking on your nice clean carpet or floor. Safety first and always.

Again, that's if you don't like my boot covers....

I would be surprised if a person had urine and fecal matter on their nice clean floors and if anyone would take issue with booties unless your personal bottles were filthy.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I would be surprised if a person had urine and fecal matter on their nice clean floors and if anyone would take issue with booties unless your personal bottles were filthy.
Seriously. What the?.. And isn't it just common sense, an unfinished basement,or attic, urine or feces on the floor, bug infestation??!Who would expect you to walk around in sox?
Take your dang boots off or put on booties to walk thru my clean house to the attic or unfinished basement is SIMPLE common courtesy. What area and what kind of houses is this guy hired for that one must get defensive about refusing to walk thru feces barefoot.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Seriously. What the?.. And isn't it just common sense, an unfinished basement,or attic, urine or feces on the floor, bug infestation??!Who would expect you to walk around in sox?
Take your dang boots off or put on booties to walk thru my clean house to the attic or unfinished basement is SIMPLE common courtesy. What area and what kind of houses is this guy hired for that one must get defensive about refusing to walk thru feces barefoot.
An unfinished basement doesn't have nice clean floors. A bug infested crap hole doesn't have nice, clean floors/carpet. What you guys are saying doesn't make much sense. If you refuse to wear the booties, if it's that much of a hassle, then why go in at all? There is absolutely no argument under the sun to track your dirty shoes around somebody's home.

If it's still not clear, it's nigh impossible to have nice clean floors coupled with fecal matter and bug infestation. It's a nonsense argument.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:44 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
An unfinished basement doesn't have nice clean floors. A bug infested crap hole doesn't have nice, clean floors/carpet. What you guys are saying doesn't make much sense. If you refuse to wear the booties, if it's that much of a hassle, then why go in at all? There is absolutely no argument under the sun to track your dirty shoes around somebody's home.

If it's still not clear, it's nigh impossible to have nice clean floors coupled with fecal matter and bug infestation. It's a nonsense argument.
I was agreeing with you in my post. In response to how that previous poster " may" remove his workboots, but leave them on for Fecal floors .

Old 05-11-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I was agreeing with you in my post. In response to how that previous poster " may" remove his workboots, but leave them on for Fecal floors .
Sorry! I totally misread you and obviously wasn't paying attention. Not sure how I misunderstood after reading it again. Anyhow, of course you are correct!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,131 times
Well, back to the topic at hand, but another unit in his complex just went contingent after less than a week on the market. It was listed at $259, but it backs up to a pond and nature area, and has no carpet (not sure if its laminate or hardwood though), and same exact size and layout as my friend's. My friend's unit that backs up to the train, lowered his price to $258, only $1K less than this property? Is that supposed to make it more palatable? In any case, both places are still listed higher than the $225K that my friend's appraiser set. We'll see what happens. I still think he is overpriced.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
At which point you let it go, especially if the carpet is dirty, all you have to say is fine, make sure your shoes are clean. You have to let it go or prepare for the consequences. Yes an appraisal is an opinion and if you give the appraiser a hard time if will reflect negatively.

Where do you get that???

First of all, if the house is clean I take my shoes off. If the floor is dirty I do not. I refuse to pick up some sort of infection but walking on nasty flooring.

Appraisers are not going to jeopardize their license by purposely coming in lower than market value. Coming in under value is just as illegal as coming in over value. There could be all kinds of reasons for the difference in value between the two houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate