Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:01 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times

Advertisements

My friend has been trying to sell his home for over 200 days and finally got a decent offer. I think the offer was actually very good for his home, but I don't think it was beyond the realm of possibility. He's in a great school district in a highly desirable suburb.

Well, the appraiser was about to do her job and the seller's agent insisted she take off her shoes. I've worked with this agent before, and he's always really anal about people taking of their shoes when they are with him for a showing. She didn't want to, but he insisted over and over again, and she said that the carpet was already dirty, but he still insisted. She was very annoyed and rude to him after that debacle. Well, the appraisal came in at 20K less than the offer for the home. We're talking $245K offer vs what she appraised it at, which was $225K. One person recently sold their home, same model, same complex, for $225K, and it didn't have an updated kitchen like this one. Other homes around this size in this school district/town have sold in the upper 200's. This spooked the buyers, and the offer fell through.

Do you think she did this because she got royally pissed off, or because she didn't really want to appraise it so high? I mean it was only 20K less, and there were no people living in it at the time, so it wasn't cluttered or gross or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 06:19 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Next time ask to remove the shoes, but if they refuse either offer those disposable booties you can put over shoes or offer some socks or let it go and let the person keep their shoes on. Maybe the person had foot problems. If it's a financed deal perhaps the buyer's bank can dispute the appraisal if the seller won't come down on price. I think the seller may also be able to offer comps, as well as their real estate agent to dispute and correct the appraisal.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:20 AM

914 posts, read 1,137,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Next time ask to remove the shoes, but if they refuse either offer those disposable booties you can put over shoes or offer some socks or let it go and let the person keep their shoes on. Maybe the person had foot problems. If it's a financed deal perhaps the buyer's bank can dispute the appraisal if the seller won't come down on price.
He did offer booties, but she was mad about that too.

Some people just do no want to be told to wear booties or take off their shoes.

The buyers were spooked off, so the deal fell through.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Theoretically the appraiser would be a professional and would not allow something personal to affect her job performance.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:22 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
He did offer booties, but she was mad about that too.

Some people just do no want to be told to wear booties or take off their shoes.
At which point you let it go, especially if the carpet is dirty, all you have to say is fine, make sure your shoes are clean. You have to let it go or prepare for the consequences. Yes an appraisal is an opinion and if you give the appraiser a hard time if will reflect negatively.

Some people are just stubborn, Seems like both sides were.

My father went to my cousins house one time and everyone took of their shoes but he refused. I don't know if he was asked to but he later said that he would not.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:39 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,214 times
When I was looking for houses to buy, if an agent or seller asked me to take my shoes off or wear the booties, I just left. I don't want to get involved in a transaction with those kind of people. They are sure to cause some kind of problem or drama at other points in the process too.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:58 AM

245 posts, read 291,764 times
i'm surprised a professional appraiser doesn't have their own supply of disposal booties that they choose to wear in every house they enter regardless of the house's condition. the booties will either keep the house clean or keep the dirt from a run down house off their shoes.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:59 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
When I was looking for houses to buy, if an agent or seller asked me to take my shoes off or wear the booties, I just left. I don't want to get involved in a transaction with those kind of people. They are sure to cause some kind of problem or drama at other points in the process too.
I agree with this.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:59 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Quote:
+1

Absolutely, I am trying to think of one good reason to support this agent's request and other than the floors shouldn't be stepped on altogether (refinishing or shampooing), or the appraiser's shoes were muddy - I suspect neither were the case.

That said, appraisers run into all sorts of homes and requests and likely this was not the first time. No one will ever be able to prove the appraisal was low due to this confrontation.

The appraiser burned up any potential good will and the listing agent just got burned. The real loser is the seller, and he will never know if his agent cost him 20K.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:05 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
I would only do this if I was out in the country/in a very muddy area, buying a house with piles of snow outside, etc.

Then again, I seem to have awful luck and seem to step in dog crap regularly. I'm sure you guys would be okay with me walking around the house with my shoes on then if you were selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate