Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 01:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times

Advertisements

I'd rather buy next to a house than a church, in fact I looked at a house to buy as a rental last fall and it backed up to a Church. Lot's of noise and traffic Thursdays and Sundays, not to mention an empty lot where crime happens after hours. The house had beer cans and stuff that were obviously thrown in from the Church parking lot, that also had a couple beer cans in it. Buying a house that backs to a house is normal, and will not affect resale value. A church behind you is NOT normal. It will lessen your pool of buyers. And for what? 5ft? 5ft by what? How many SQUARE feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 01:24 PM

524 posts, read 574,191 times
I would not buy a house that backed to a church. I lived between 3 churches when I was a kid and there was always something going on that caused noise or traffic. I also like to sleep in and would not want to hear the entire congregation parking their cars behind my house early Sunday morning.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:08 PM

455 posts, read 388,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarnold View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new build home and am torn between buying a lot that is 5 ft larger but backs to a church that is being constructed, or a standard size lot that will back to another house. I really like the extra 5 ft deep backyard, but am concerned about resale value, noise and lights from the church.

I've attached a picture of the church site plan and my lot would be one of the R1-4 lots backing to it. Can anyone offer their opinion?

Thanks.
No no no no no no no no and no! No churches, schools, businesses, hospitals or busy/main roads.

If you like the house that much, you shouldn't have to worry about resale. But since you're already thinking resale, don't do it.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:23 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
Is there a graveyard? Does the graveyard border the property you're considering?

My aunt and uncle lived next door to a church, but their property line bordered the graveyard. Their lot was also much bigger than their neighbors'. FWIW, my aunt is a realtor.

Also the church entrance was from a road that was parallel to my relatives' property so it didn't impact them at all.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time there and I don't remember any issues at all.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I would definitely buy a house that backs up to a church.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:03 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Here is the location: Its a empty lot being built on.

https://goo.gl/maps/9nW2gzMp65B2

Old 05-06-2016, 06:22 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Is it a big church? Small church? Lots of activities aside from weekly services? Is there a school? Meeting rooms?

If it's a big church, with a school or lots of meeting rooms that signify plenty of activity and traffic, I would look elsewhere. If it's a small neighborhood church, that wouldn't bother me one bit.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is it a big church? Small church? Lots of activities aside from weekly services? Is there a school? Meeting rooms?

If it's a big church, with a school or lots of meeting rooms that signify plenty of activity and traffic, I would look elsewhere. If it's a small neighborhood church, that wouldn't bother me one bit.
It looks like there are about 700 parking spaces! almost like a shopping mall parking lot to me. I'd call it a mega-church.

Sounds like a nightmare regardless of its denomination but what if it eventually becomes a mosque and then you get to listen to the adhan called out by the muezzin five times a day?

Old 05-06-2016, 07:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Never mind - my opinion was already stated by another poster.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:20 PM

220 posts, read 469,706 times
Years ago I rented an apartment across from a church. Lots of traffic, which could be annoying, but at least it was at predictable times. Biggest issue that made me crazy was the funerals, often with bagpipes. (This was just outside Boston). Imagine trying to sleep in on a weekend morning and then suddenly the bagpipes start. Can be beautiful, but really, really loud. No way you're sleeping through that.
Also found that a big empty parking lot can attract some shady characters in the night.
Overall, I wouldn't completely rule it out for a rental again, but would never even consider actually buying adjacent to a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate