Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 09:51 AM

741 posts, read 590,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
You missed the point of the bathroom issue. Visiting someone is not the same thing as viewing homes.
It all comes down to respecting property that is NOT YOUR OWN. Turning tvs on, laying on furniture, and generally making a mess at a home that is not your property is a very entitled mentality. I'm sure the potential buyers who do these sort of things would have a cow if someone did that to their home.
I have viewed, bought and sold MANY homes and I do not need to do any of things that have been described in this thread. I guess some people have been brought up better than others.
I think the bathroom issue is in a category all on its own & can't be compared to the disrespectful acts of jumping on furniture, damaging property, bringing animals to showings, out of control children, or theft. There is no disrespect in simply asking to use the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Going off on a toilet tangent.

When we were looking for houses I always, always, flushed the toilets and ran the sinks. Making sure they worked, checking water flow and drainage.

I only had one owner go nuts about that (he also followed us around so closely he bumped into us a couple times). Turns out that the house had both a septic issue and a failing well he was hoping to hide. That was discovered during the inspection. We passed since he wouldn't come down in price to cover the issues. That house was on the market for years.

Another one I noticed a hose coming from the adjacent house, the well had totally failed at the house we were looking at.

We also looked at a house where one of the bedrooms was padlocked from the outside and the owner wouldn't let us in. She also cried the entire time we were there, turns out the house was a forced sale due to divorce.

We ended up making an offer but somehow or other the broker/listing agent never presented our offer, she claimed she forgot, and an investor got the property. The broker/listing agent lost her license for that one because we filed a complaint.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:55 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
I think the bathroom issue is in a category all on its own & can't be compared to the disrespectful acts of jumping on furniture, damaging property, bringing animals to showings, out of control children, or theft. There is no disrespect in simply asking to use the bathroom.
Yes. You would think common sense, on its own, would separate the issues but apparently not.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Going off on a toilet tangent.......
Shucks.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:02 AM

685 posts, read 720,327 times
Quote:
How would you know if they had a medical emergency for you to make that judgement? Would you really expect someone to give you their medical history before you'd grant them access to your bathroom? There's no conspiracy of disrespect going on when someone asks to use the bathroom. It's a basic human need. I guarantee there isn't much deep thought behind it other than, "Oop! I gotta go!". Its embarrassing enough for a buyer to ask to use the toilet without also having to give some medically necessary reason for the need. Seriously people, get a grip. It's no different than one of your guests asking to use the bathroom in your house. One's houseguests are just as likely to violate the previous poster's "no peeing while standing" rule as is some random buyer. Not flushing afterwards is rude, but simply asking to use the bathroom isn't.

NOBODY ASKS TO USE THE RESTROOM!!!!! What Casey Fae and I have been TRYING to drill into your heads is we are NOT talking about people who ask!! How hard is that to understand? We are talking about those inconsiderate people who leave messes in the toilet and the bathroom. That is the gross part!!!

By the way, the bathroom subject is relevant to the topic because it could cause property damage...just use your imagination on what that could be.

Stop making snarky remarks to Casey Fae about what her expectations are for potential buyers who view her home.
She said she has an offer so somebody doesn't think its outlandish about her requests. Its her home....her rules...so leave her alone.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Going off on a toilet tangent.

When we were looking for houses I always, always, flushed the toilets and ran the sinks. Making sure they worked, checking water flow and drainage.

I only had one owner go nuts about that (he also followed us around so closely he bumped into us a couple times). Turns out that the house had both a septic issue and a failing well he was hoping to hide. That was discovered during the inspection. We passed since he wouldn't come down in price to cover the issues. That house was on the market for years.

Another one I noticed a hose coming from the adjacent house, the well had totally failed at the house we were looking at.

We also looked at a house where one of the bedrooms was padlocked from the outside and the owner wouldn't let us in. She also cried the entire time we were there, turns out the house was a forced sale due to divorce.

We ended up making an offer but somehow or other the broker/listing agent never presented our offer, she claimed she forgot, and an investor got the property. The broker/listing agent lost her license for that one because we filed a complaint.
A toilet that does not flush would come up during the home inspector's rounds, wouldn't it? Assuming home inspection is required. Otherwise, I see a good reason to test it out, but no need to actually pee or poop. Just flushing does not mean the owner has to clean it.

I am shocked at the insistences by some that people use bathrooms in prospective homes. In all the house hunting I ever did, not one time did either I or my husband need to "go." One thing that helps is to NOT schedule a blitztour of too many houses for one's bladder or bowel capacity! Besides the toilet aspect, how can you possibly remember what you liked or disliked about each place?

What a turnoff that people treat other people's homes as suitable for leaving doors unlocked, lights on, dirt tracked in, items broken or moved, etc. It does strike me as showing a sense of entitlement.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:24 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times
Quote:
How would you know if they had a medical emergency for you to make that judgement? Would you really expect someone to give you their medical history before you'd grant them access to your bathroom? There's no conspiracy of disrespect going on when someone asks to use the bathroom. It's a basic human need. I guarantee there isn't much deep thought behind it other than, "Oop! I gotta go!". Its embarrassing enough for a buyer to ask to use the toilet without also having to give some medically necessary reason for the need. Seriously people, get a grip. It's no different than one of your guests asking to use the bathroom in your house. One's houseguests are just as likely to violate the previous poster's "no peeing while standing" rule as is some random buyer. Not flushing afterwards is rude, but simply asking to use the bathroom isn't.
This mantra of pee in your toilet or in your yard is just not something I want in my home. Talk to the listing agent before you or your buyers make decisions. That's all I can recommend. With that said, if I had to go back I would not have removed all my nanny cams. I would have kept the property under surveillance signs (reserved for sitters in the past).

Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
A toilet that does not flush would come up during the home inspector's rounds, wouldn't it? Assuming home inspection is required. Otherwise, I see a good reason to test it out............

Yeah it would, but the buyer (at least here) would still have to pay for the inspection.

A few years ago my oldest daughter had a contract on a house, mortgage approved, house inspection passed and all that remained was the septic inspection. Because of the weather (very rough winter) the septic inspection wasn't done until two days before the scheduled closing. The septic failed. in fact when the inspector took off the lid there was a geyser of contents. House failed. No move on price from the owner. Daughter loses $1000 in inspection money.

To top it off, it took almost four (4) months for her to get her $5000 earnest money back from the real estate agency. The check was always "in the mail".

It took a threat to report it to the Real Estate Commission to get the money back and the check was still post dated by a month.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:51 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
NOBODY ASKS TO USE THE RESTROOM!!!!! What Casey Fae and I have been TRYING to drill into your heads is we are NOT talking about people who ask!! How hard is that to understand? We are talking about those inconsiderate people who leave messes in the toilet and the bathroom. That is the gross part!!!

By the way, the bathroom subject is relevant to the topic because it could cause property damage...just use your imagination on what that could be.

Stop making snarky remarks to Casey Fae about what her expectations are for potential buyers who view her home.
She said she has an offer so somebody doesn't think its outlandish about her requests. Its her home....her rules...so leave her alone.

I think we all get that there are some inconsiderate people who leave a mess. But that isn't what she has been saying. She basically said she doesn't want anyone using her bathroom.

Here's another valid question. How do you expect someone to ask to use your restroom if you aren't there during the showing? Considering Casey said she should have left the nanny cams up, that makes me believe she isn't there. So do they call? That would mean the buyer agent calling the listing agent who then calls the seller. Sometimes people can't wait. I'm sure the Realtor knows that it got used.

What some of us have been trying to suggest is to be more lenient with people who want to consider buying your home. Not barking out orders as to how every little thing needs to be in the house. I run my house as a tight ship also. Friends and family who come over follow our rules because when they leave this is still my house and will continue to be long after. When it's for sale though, personal feeling are detached and it is a business deal. My attachment goes to the home I am buying since that is where I will live.

I don't let the kids make a mess, leave a mess, etc.... My house is as clean when it isn't for sale as it is right now for showings. But I also know that not everyone is like me, and if I want to sell it I have to make concessions and allow for the annoyances that could come with it (within reason). People are human and things happen.

I didn't blow my gasket last week when the people who are now attempting to buy our home left it in a condition I normally wouldn't. I kept my mouth shut, and wouldn't you know we got an offer on it. Had I blasted the Realtor and buyer that scenario could have played out a lot differently.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Exactly. And this seller would have no hesitation in firing the listing agent if my concerns were dismissed, or if it happened again.
There are some head-scratchers on this thread. Buyers should be courteous but sometimes they aren't. Buyer agents should check the property before they leave to make sure it's in the same condition as arrival but sometimes they don't. Sellers should expect courtesy but understand you'll have buyers that don't have your same concept of boundaries and relax their standards somewhat. (obviously not the major issues but like sitting on a couch to discuss the home or opening curtains to look at a view).

Admittedly not everyone will agree on protocol. I don't know why people would lay on a bed or turn on a TV. I don't think I've had one of my buyers do that nor do I think it's happened on my listings.

Bathrooms-again not everyone will agree but sometimes you need to go and you won't get another chance.

Doors locked-I have it happen about once a year on my listings. Nothing to do about it after the fact other than ask the buyers agent to be more careful and hope they don't do it again. I think the worst time was on a listing where the buyer agent left the back door actually open.

Lights on will happen occasionally. Same remedy, an apology for the oversight.

Ohiogirl: Why would you fire the listing agent for the buyer and/or buyer agent actions? If at your job a co-worker made a mistake that wasn't your responsibility would it be acceptable for your boss to fire you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate