Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:37 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Portland, OR also is now one of the largest HOA's in the country. They passed a law, mind you a LAW not a rule, that you need to get permission to cut down a tree on YOUR personal property....
Salem has tree codes too. We've had them for several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 05:39 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Salem has tree codes too. We've had them for several years.

As does the State of Maryland. All of it.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:44 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,378 times
Hasn't this already been tried in Dallas and FAILED?

I guess nobody cares?

Old 05-08-2016, 05:45 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
It would help if some of you actually read the article before commenting. You may have missed the part of the article that states that the Feds. will force suburban communities for build more sect. 8 housing, and "supersize" the vouchers, to make it more affordable for low income people to rent in expensive suburbs. IE. New laws and new rules going into effect. So you can't go by what was, but what has been changed and other changes in the works. So the point of the article is not the effect on the owner of the property, but the community itself.
Affordable housing is an issue in many places. I know it is out here. I'm not opposed to the super-sized vouchers to help those families find other housing options. Out here are more affluent areas have very few rentals, or have HOA's that don't allow rentals so I see little impact with the super-sizing for those neighborhoods. Do your wealthy communities have a plethora of rentals?

Old 05-08-2016, 06:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
I think it's a very wise decision on your part to have a mobile home in order to keep your property values and those of your neighbours nice and high, just in case people with vouchers threaten to move in.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:26 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Hasn't this already been tried in Dallas and FAILED?

I guess nobody cares?

Yes, this has been tried in Dallas. It brought a lot of violent crime to formerly quiet neighborhoods that had very little crime, if any. Failed? Yes, in your view and in my view it failed because it trashed the neighborhood. In the views of the politicians who forced this upon those neighborhoods it succeeded in breaking the color barrier and diversifying the neighborhood, therefore it has been a success.

The poiticians who want this program could care less about the neighborhoods. They just want to make the neighborhoods less white so that the US will be "less racist".

Old 05-08-2016, 08:10 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
However, rental rate must within Section 8 guidelines and tenant has to pass your credit check, reference check, etc.

So if you have a possible tenant with good credit history and appropriate references and your rental rate is within Section 8 guidelines, why wouldn't you want to rent to them?

Having managed Section 8 properties, I have found that many times the problem is not a bad tenant, but the bureaucrats that you have to deal with when your property is in the Section 8 program. The landlord signs a lease with the tenant and also signs a lease with the local Section 8 housing authority. The lease with the housing authority is the housing authority's lease, not the landlord's, and everyone must adhere to the terms of housing authority's lease. There is a clause in that lease that states that the Section 8 housing authority may stop the payment at any time without notice and without reason. I have seen this happen several times, and when it happens, I wish the landlord good luck getting their money from the government. It can be quite a bad situation when the tenant is still in the property.

I have also seen the government workers take a very long time to approve a property for the Section 8 program, and a long time to approve a tenant for a Section 8 property. There used to be a time when the tenant could move into the property while waiting for approval, but the Section 8 program no longer allows this. One time when working with a rental assistance program (not Section 8), we waited over three months for a prospective tenant to be approved for a property. Not only did we not get an answer when we called the office, we could not even get the social workers to return our calls. So we moved on and rented it to another tenant, only to have one of the social workers threaten us with a lawsuit because we rented it to someone else after four months of waiting.

More than thirty years ago, the Section 8 program provided a tenant's security deposit if they couldn't afford one; they also paid the landlord for damages to the property caused by the Section 8 tenant over and above the security deposit. Those perks are long gone.

Those are a few of the reasons why a lot of landlords are not standing in line anxiously waiting to rent to Section 8 tenants.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:33 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Portland, OR also is now one of the largest HOA's in the country. They passed a law, mind you a LAW not a rule, that you need to get permission to cut down a tree on YOUR personal property....
This is law in my area too, except you can do whatever you want with cedar trees. If it's not a Cedar, you must get permission and a permit to remove it. In most cases, you have to replace the tree with the same amount of diameter. For example, if you cut a 20" diameter tree, you have to replace it with 2 that are 10" or 5 new ones that are a mere 4".

Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
All of this intervention into private property ownership and management makes buying property not near as attractive. The govt. does not care if you lose money on your investment or lose all your investment. It wants to tell you how you can and can't use it. Here in west Texas, they even want to tell land owners how much of their water under their land, water to which supposedly they have exclusive water rights, how much they can use each year. Every year, more and more of the individuals rights are taken away and more and more we become slaves of the state.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Probably true in most states, but in Oregon you can't discriminate against a tenant just because they have Section 8. They just passed it not too long ago so we will see how it goes here.
Wow, I never heard of that before, I thought a landlord always had the right to refuse a voucher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate