Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 PM

237 posts, read 967,592 times

Advertisements

What is the best Marketing for todays house slump. I know you put it on MLS and realtor.com but what else do you do. I heard the newspaper ads do not work today and also Open Houses do not work today. Do you actually sent flyers to realtors in the area your house is in and also flyers to surrounding neighbors in hopes they know someone looking. If you do send it to local neighbors how do you get all the addresses? Thank for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
My best advise in this market is to decide if you want to sell the competition or get sold. It really is that simple.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:07 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
What is the best Marketing for todays house slump. I know you put it on MLS and realtor.com but what else do you do. I heard the newspaper ads do not work today and also Open Houses do not work today. Do you actually sent flyers to realtors in the area your house is in and also flyers to surrounding neighbors in hopes they know someone looking. If you do send it to local neighbors how do you get all the addresses? Thank for your help.
Mindy, you just recently listed your house with a realtor at 4%. I'm wondering why this wasn't discussed with the realtor and a marketing plan developed?

Quote:
Hi I just listed mine at a good price and got a realtor to do it for 4%. It went on Thursday and I already have 4 showings set up this weekend. I had it on at 5% last April and didnt have any showings in 2 months time. Also it was not priced right in April. So I beleive if you have it priced right 2 and 2.5 is not going to make a difference. Mindy

Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Quote:
If its priced below the competition and staged impeccably, I would say have a realtor preview so the local realtors SEE how nice your home is. Sending postcards to people in the neighborhood can't hurt (but that is your REALTOR'S job, not yours).

I believe in regards to open houses, only 1/10 of 1% of homes sold last year were attributed to an open house. Most times a realtor will send their assistant to host because they know its a big waste of time.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
The best marketing strategy in today's market is price well for the condition of the home. You need to be below your competition. I agree with middle aged mom...it's that simple.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Didn't your friend, who listed it for 4%, and is offering out to local buyers agent something less than what many others are offering, just recenly give you her best marketing plan? Is there some reason to think that's not the best one?

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 02-15-2008 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-15-2008, 06:47 AM

Sorry I worded it wrong. Its not for me. Its for a friend that wants to try to sell it on her own. But she is also interviewing Realtors and wants to make sure they are giving her the best marketing plan. Mindy

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Sorry I worded it wrong. Its not for me. Its for a friend that wants to try to sell it on her own. But she is also interviewing Realtors and wants to make sure they are giving her the best marketing plan. Mindy
Is she interviewing Realtors because she might use one of them? Or to get "the best marketing plan" that she can then go try to implement herself?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 AM

No she is probably going to go with a realtor because she has kids and really doesnt have the time to do it herself. Mindy

Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,105 times
Mindy,

A solid marketing strategy for a listing should include the following:

1. Extensive internet presence (MLS, realtor.com, craigslist, trulia, zillow...)

2. Agent/Broker networking (brokers' open, flyers, caravans...)

3. Print advertising

4. Substantial signage

5. Professional photos, virtual tour, staging services

6. Feedback system

7. Mailer/postcard campaign

8. Public open houses

Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate