Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,035,126 times

Advertisements

When we needed grab bars in the master bath shower, we were shocked to learn how much it would cost to have it done professionally so my husband found No Drilling Grab Bars. Basically they are glued on.

No Drilling Required Gripp 24 in. x 1-1/2 in. Grab Bar in Polished and Engraved Stainless-GB38024-PPS-NDR - The Home Depot

The first time he installed them, it did not work and could have been a very serious injury. But after some serious cleaning of the site and getting a new kit free from the manufacturer and doing more research he did it correctly and they have been wonderful for over 5 years. I have every confidence in them.

Should we disclose to anybody they are not drilled into the studs? And if so when? To the real estate agent? The buyers? I'm thinking after the closing I would leave a note about all the service people we are happy with, the cleaning products which work best and the fact the grab bars are glued on.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,732,068 times
Just a personal opinion but if they work, they work. I don't see why you would need to disclose how they work. However, since you are thinking about it, I suspect that you still have a lingering doubt about them...I know I would.

If that's true, take the high/safe road and mention it in your disclosure statement (if you use those in your state.) I wouldn't make a big deal of it, just let them know.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:16 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,609,950 times
There is the reasonable expectation, rather than just hope, that grab bars will do their job when properly installed.

Grab bars are intended to increase mobility and safety. They can be a necessity rather than a nicety for many.

That said, people who are familiar with these handy aids may already be familiar with the type of installation of yours.

And I don't think that "they already have grab bars in the shower" would be high on a list of reasons to buy your house, although they are handy being there already. So I don't think the type of grab bar and even not having them would be a deal breaker. If a buyer wanted to, they could do the drill installation.

But I would feel morally I should let the buyer/agent know they type of installation if the potential buyer seemed really interested and not just looking. But just for info and not like it's some grave error, which it's not.

I saw on your link the following which is a good way to describe the bars to your agent or buyer:

"ADA compliant based on ASTM F446-85 standards for consumer safety specification for grab bars installed in bathing areas for up to 250 lbs"

Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,146 times
I don't think MUST disclose that. Not at all.

I would mention in a list of "home tips" after closing, just like you suggested. I wish our seller had given us a list/letter like that. We think are tips and tricks about our house that we'll never know!

Is simply removing the grab bars an option?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:31 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,035,126 times
They can be removed but I think even non-handicapped folks like to have a grab bar around. I'm not sure what the tile would look like after removal anyway and I wouldn't want to take the chance the tile would be marred or damaged.

Thank you cully for finding the description about them being ADA compliant. That should do it. I will list them in my Welcome To Your New Home letter where I will list the companies which built our deer fence, the wooden garden gate, the garden shed, the irrigation repair folks, the termite folks, the man who cleans our gutters and washes our windows, the names and e mail of our neighbors, the school bus schedule, where we buy groceries, take dry cleaning,time it takes our elementary kids to walk to school (no bus) and useful things like that. I have a standard Welcome letter with similar items I take with baked goods to every new family which moves to our street.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:37 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,794,310 times
I'd remove them. Solves your concern and many people, myself included, don't care for the look of grab bars. Someday I may need them, but until then I don't want them. We actually passed on a house that had grab bars drilled into the tile since we didn't want to have to retile the baths to get rid of them.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:46 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,609,950 times
I think they could be really handy in a shower.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,342,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I'd remove them. Solves your concern and many people, myself included, don't care for the look of grab bars. Someday I may need them, but until then I don't want them. We actually passed on a house that had grab bars drilled into the tile since we didn't want to have to retile the baths to get rid of them.
you can put it on a "tips" kind of thing. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, since it really isn't a big deal

I might phrase it, "The shower grab bars are of the no drilling variety and can be removed if you don't like them." it seems like a plus!

IMHO, its not an ideal installation for someone who puts significant weight on the bars regularly. But many houses are full of non-ideals.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:26 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,388,709 times
I would suggest removing them to avoid any problems, and do not leave a "list" of things for the buyer unless it's just how to work the sprinkler system. You're potentially opening yourself up to some increased liability in that.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,328,597 times
Disclose or remove. I require grab bars negotiating in and out of the shower. Normally no big deal as long as I don't slip. Then hell to pay. And I weigh 270 lbs and can really lurch big time. I have always caught myself to date but I have ended up hanging from things on occasion.

My grab bars are set into studs or 2x4 between stud with metal reinforced joints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate