Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 05:55 PM

8 posts, read 12,320 times

Advertisements

I want to know if one can find out properties a person owns by state with ONLY the name of the person. My friend just got a right to get back her money she was ripped off of from a scammer (i forgot the legal term ) from a court.This guy owns his own company and makes big bucks. She may have to hire a PI or attorney at 30%. She is owed over 250k. We do not know any addresses but his business one. Thank you for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:03 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,734,005 times
You would need to search by county. Most counties probably have the information online, but I don't know if they all do.
Also, his actual name would have to be on the title -- if it's held in a trust or via some other legal entity, his legal interest might or might not show up with just a review of the land records.

Generally, title to real estate is filed in the office of the recorder of deeds (or some similarly named entity). That's where you'd have to search.

Did the guy show up to court? Or is this a default judgment?

Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Probably not by state, but you can search the county tax records. If tax assessor records are not on line, you can call the tax assessor's office.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,783,137 times
If they set up an LLC which is a Limited Liability Corporation you won't be able to fine them by their name. If you know or suspect they own a property you can search with the address and find out the owner.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,783,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanigodsmum View Post
I want to know if one can find out properties a person owns by state with ONLY the name of the person. My friend just got a right to get back her money she was ripped off of from a scammer (i forgot the legal term ) from a court.This guy owns his own company and makes big bucks. She may have to hire a PI or attorney at 30%. She is owed over 250k. We do not know any addresses but his business one. Thank you for any help
If she won a judgement for a lot of money she must have gone to court with lawyers you can't sue in small claims court for a large amount, so the lawyers should be able to advise you on how to get your money, perhaps you can petition the court to disclose their assets. I don't know the particulars but research it further. I know when you win in small claims court you can compel the losing party to disclose info to help you get the judgement, including possible social security numbers in order to get a wage garnishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate