Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:42 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
The house we did buy had a terrible listing but was a great house with some updates, so you never know.
Smart not to let little things trigger you not to buy.
There is so much rampant overreaction to small stuff, and so many buyers who needlessly hobble their own efforts worrying about wording and photos rather than houses and features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 09:04 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Needs some TLC = this house has been beat to h-e-double hockey sticks!!! full gut job.

Misspellings get me, too. "rod" iron for wrought iron, hand "scrapped" wood floors (really....these floors are made from scrapped wood?), "Parkay" wood floors for parquet. This cracks me up....makes me think of the old Parkay margarine commercials. "it's not butter; it's Parkay!"

Last edited by TN2HSV; 05-23-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM

OH, I know another one! "Updated" kitchen usually means they replaced Formica counters with some cheap, ugly granite and replaced the sink faucet. Still has old cabinets, same layout, same flooring, may or may not have mismatched appliances.

Not a listing, but I can't tell you how many open houses I've been to where the agent points out "they've updated the kitchen". yeah, looks like they updated it in 1986!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
saw one today that referenced a "quarter bath." This was in 3 year old construction and I will bet money they don't have a standalone toilet in the non-existent basement.

So not really the wording exactly but not bothering to pay any attention to details is very off putting. I surely don't want that person involved in drafting a contract to spend several hundred thousand dollars!

The misspellings bother me for the same reason - rod iron, dinning rooms, walking closet. Or when someone misspells the location or street names.

It makes me think that many people do not bother to proofread at all.

The misspellings bug the heck out of me, too. And based on the listings I read in my area, we have a large population who has no grasp of phonics! (dinning/dining, scrapped/scraped, etc.)

Old 05-23-2016, 09:33 AM

214 posts, read 301,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
The misspellings bug the heck out of me, too. And based on the listings I read in my area, we have a large population who has no grasp of phonics! (dinning/dining, scrapped/scraped, etc.)
I see "quite" when they meant "quiet" constantly.

And it seems like a larger percentage of time, I have first hand knowledge that the house is not actually really located in a "quiet" part of town or a "quiet" neighborhood, so I wonder how subliminal that mistake was in the first place....

Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
I see "quite" when they meant "quiet" constantly.

And it seems like a larger percentage of time, I have first hand knowledge that the house is not actually really located in a "quiet" part of town or a "quiet" neighborhood, so I wonder how subliminal that mistake was in the first place....

YES!!!! it's enough to make me "loose" my mind

Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM

Here's another:

"open floor plan makes entertaining your guest a breeze!"

really? Just one guest? Don't need much room for that. I assume they mean GUESTS.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Yes--the dinning one drives me crazy! I've made the comment that there must be quite a din in there--to blank stares.

And there are so many homes with plantation shudders.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:47 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Moist.
*chuckle* ... what? Makes me think of black mold, instantly.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:24 PM

414 posts, read 296,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
There is a successful agent in my area that uses the phrase "entertaining" family room/bonus room/kitchen (whatever room). I keep wondering how the room is going to be entertaining me.

I cringe each time I read one of his ads with this phrase. He's a smart guy and a great agent so it's hard for me to understand this from him. Maybe one of his assistants writes the descriptions....

The other one that bugs me is "gourmet kitchen." I'm pretty sure it's not a gourmet kitchen.
Every show I've ever seen on cable includes comments from the potential buyer and/or the agent about how great this layout would be for entertaining.
How often does the average person have 15 people over for dinner/party/etc? Imagine buying a Chevy Suburban SUV to drive yourself around town, in case you might have 7 passengers that one time?

That said, I would love an island, outdated or otherwise. Only two of us working on different dishes at the same time can trip over each other. I'd get much more use out of that than a massive open floorplan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate