Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 AM

235 posts, read 434,772 times

Advertisements

I have never not have an alley. Growing up, it was where everybody played. We played all kinds of ball games, touch football, kickball, basketball, dodgeball, just to name a few. That's where we learned how to ride a bike, and there was always a bunch of us riding in the alley. It was the same way when my kids were growing up.
My grandkids live two blocks away, and if they ride their bikes down, they come by way of the alley. It is a great way to turn around, or for a shortcut.
If you buy something big, like a fridge, stove, or whatever, the best place to bring it in is from the alley. A lot closer, and you don't have to try to maneuver it thru the house.
I don't think I could ever live where there is no alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 09:11 AM

525 posts, read 660,312 times
Our city has a lot of older neighborhoods that have alleys. Some paved, some not. In our neighborhood, the alleys are used for the garbage/recycling pick up. Homeowners are responsible for upkeep on their portion of the alleyway. Because of the way the neighborhood took shape, some of the alleyways are "streets" and have names, then when you walk down them, turn a corner and you are in an alley. There is very little other traffic through the alley. Yes, I've seen people walking through our alley, maybe 1 a week. I've seen about 1-2 cars/trucks a month drive down the alley besides the public works dept. It's safe, and really, people who want to will break into a house no matter what, no more of a danger to home break-in than a house without an alleyway in back. When we complete our remodel, we will have a detached garage that has its entrance off the alley.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:15 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
My house has an alley; it is not paved, but is covered in gravel. The kids play back there, the trash is picked up back there, the garages open off the alley.

I don't really care one way or another whether I have an alley or not. It's neither a detriment nor an advantage.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:28 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I thought they were used in the past for deliveries - coal, ice, milk, place to put the trash for pickup, etc. They are like public roads - anyone can use them - it's not really weird or mysterious. Your "company" came to the front door...service people and deliveries to the back.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:39 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I thought they were used in the past for deliveries - coal, ice, milk, place to put the trash for pickup, etc. They are like public roads - anyone can use them - it's not really weird or mysterious. Your "company" came to the front door...service people and deliveries to the back.
They're strange to me because we don't have them here on LI, NY. I noticed they're present in mostly older neighborhoods with smallish working class houses. It feels very rustic to me, and I like that.

Service people and deliveries in the back feels a bit like Downton Abbey. The nabe and the people in it are definitely not posh where I'm going.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:02 PM

295 posts, read 337,964 times
i live in a house wiht a back alley that has garages and also parking next to garage. Where i live it's very safe to walk the allies' in fact that's where most kids ride their bikes play basketball because there is less traffic. One thing you will notice though is you will know your back neighbors but not your front neighbors as well. Because that's the way you always leave the house.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:20 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
They're strange to me because we don't have them here on LI, NY. I noticed they're present in mostly older neighborhoods with smallish working class houses. It feels very rustic to me, and I like that.

Service people and deliveries in the back feels a bit like Downton Abbey. The nabe and the people in it are definitely not posh where I'm going.
Well, it's also a matter of convenience - the coal chute was in the back...the kitchen was in the back for ice and milk - you didn't want people tracking through your whole house so it made sense. Some of those deliveries weren't just weekly, but maybe daily.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:20 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Is the area south of I-495 (LIE) and west of Woodhaven Blvd (Middle Village ?) considered "on Long Island" ? If so, plenty of alleys there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7270.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 05-21-2016, 05:26 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Me too. My street has a back alley. Love it.
Could you post some neighborhoods in Texas that have this feature? Zip codes? I can "Google-walk" it, perhaps.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:28 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Is the area south of I-495 (LIE) and west of Woodhaven Blvd (Middle Village ?) considered "on Long Island" ? If so, plenty of alleys there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7270.../data=!3m1!1e3
Plenty of houses, period. That area is far too densely populated for my taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate