Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:56 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times

Advertisements

Plenty of alleys in Washington, DC, too -- considered very desirable, because it gives access to parking off-street, keeps trash-cans off the street, etc. I had one in Champaign, IL, which wasn't really used for much for our rental, since it was fenced completely across the back with a 6' privacy fence, but others on the alley used it frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
There's another house I'm considering that has an alley. This particular house has no driveway, but there's alley access. No garage; one would have to be built with the opening facing the alley.

How convenient/inconvenient is this? This feels rustic and different and it's not something I'm used to. Is parking in an alley allowed?

My house is in contract, so I'm finally getting serious here about moving.
This is the kind of question you need to go down to the city planning/codes office and ask about.

I would not count on being able to park in the alley. Typically they have to remain clear, but the Codes office can tell you how the alley is used and show you the building envelope on a plat map so you can have an idea exactly where a garage supposedly could be built.

Do not take any agent's word about what "could" be built somewhere. Always check with authorities who do this stuff every day and know about easements etc. You don't want to buy with a plan to build and THEN find out you can't.

Would you have the money to build a garage before you move in? Look around at the neighboring lots. You could talk to neighbors about what they do and how convenient it is for them.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:17 PM

490 posts, read 583,965 times
We have alleys in Saint Petersburg Florida. Some are like 4x4 trails, few are paved. Mine is paved and all are maintained by the city. Some are nasty most are ok. All utilities but water & sewer run the alley, including cable, fiber, phone. All have street lights. We share communal 300 gallon dumpsters and have our own 90 gallon recyle bins.

The biggest and non stop problem with our alley is non stop illegal dumping behind every ones privacy fence. As well as jerks filling the large dumpsters with illegal dumping. The main problem is vegetation and old furniture. However just awhile ago i see someone dumped a direct tv dish and pole behind my house.

Deliveries and mail to the front , not in the alley. But big heavy special things can be delivered in the alley too making another option.

I have a detached 2 car garage with a gated concrete driveway next to it. All entry is from the alley for the homes to garage or carport. Actually the alley and back yard gets much more use as my front door than the actual front door.

Except for the constant dumping I've enjoyed having a alley and at first I wasn't sure I would. It comes in handy and plenty private. All those pest knocking on the front door selling junk or pushing religion I never hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate