Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM

82 posts, read 413,343 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I need to relocate for a better job opportunity and I need to sell my current home that I have owned for almost 2 years. I have had the home on the market for a month now and I have had a couple of showings and open houses but no bites. The feedback my realtor and I have received is: "I wish it had 2 full baths", "back yard is too small", "the houses are too close together". These are all things I really can't change so I have adjusted my price accordingly. I have dropped the list price twice and am now at $20k less. My realtor did have a broker open house 2 days after being on the market and all the feedback from the realtors was positive and no qualms about the price.
My home is in a good neighborhood and in one of the best school districts in the state so I really don't know what is going on. The only thing I can think of is the market is full of inventory and I just have to wait it out. Here is the listing:

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_11688308/

If you could provide any tips on how to get to get more interest that would be great! When I bought the house 2 years ago I paid $332k and have done about $25k worth of work to the home.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
What a gorgeous house! I love your aqua bathroom.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:34 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
The photos are not good. Most look distorted and/or dark.

It doesn't matter WHAT you paid for the house or how much you put into it. It doesn't matter WHAT price you are asking. The ONLY thing that matters is what the comps recently sold for. You left that out of your post, so I'm gonna guess that the reason your house is getting so few showings and no offers is that it's overpriced.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
All of the photos are too dark. Get a professional to re take them. There is more than one room with quite fussy carpet dedign. In one, it is bad with the fussy quilt/ bedspread. I know houses that old have problems meeting modern desires but 1.5 baths in a house that size would be a deal-breaker for me.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:11 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There is more than one room with quite fussy carpet dedign. In one, it is bad with the fussy quilt/ bedspread.
No one is buying the bedspread ...

Old 05-21-2016, 01:16 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,566,640 times
I'd definitely tone down the colors. I personally don't mind it that much, but it might be a turn off for some people. Everyone shops on the internet, so your pictures are what will determine if they want to see it or not. You need to capture the widest possible audience within about 30 seconds.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:35 PM

347 posts, read 427,126 times
I think it looks lovely. What are the comps? If the majority of your r neighborhood has two full bathrooms then you may need to adjust your price downwards further. Especially, as the main bathroom looks original, and I'm sure for many people would need to be remodeled.

But, I also think for older homes with unique plots it just takes longer to sell.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:36 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
It is a beautiful house!

Take the wreath off the front door. Replace mat inside front door. Roll up the rugs and put all of the dresser scarves away, especially the one on the mantle. If you have great woodwork, take the sheers down.

Use plain bed covers. Less pattern everywhere.

wait for the "right" person.

good luck

Old 05-21-2016, 02:47 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No one is buying the bedspread ...
It doesn't matter - most people don't have much imagination. And if people are distracted by the decor, they aren't focusing on what they should be focusing on. Feedback like "the houses are too close together" is b.s. - I used to live in a town in the northeast where the houses were too close together, if you're looking at houses there you already know this. People just don't want to say "I couldn't get past the decor to see what the house really had to offer" - maybe they can't even voice that themselves.

As a seller your house needs to be fabulous enough to overcome any objections, and there are always objections. You want people to think "I WANT TO LIVE HERE" without a "but" hanging off the end of the sentence.

OP, you need to get some neutral decor in that house. To each their own, but your taste is very busy and does not match the house. Buy some cheap solid color comforters at Walmart and throw them on the beds, pull up the area rugs and pull the furniture away from the walls in the living areas (it does not make your rooms look bigger). You need better lighting too.
Also, no one wants to see your dishtowels or counter appliances in the pictures (or during showings). Your house needs to look like a model house. Is that a pain when you have a family? Yes it is. But you want the house sold, so go do it.
Good luck.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:14 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
It's a beautiful house!

I agree with doing a bit more decluttering and neutralizing. Not because your house looks messy or anything, but because that will allow the buyers to see more of the features of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate