Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:36 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times

Advertisements

Speaking about my mother's house with the life estate, it will eventually pass to me as remainderman. My parents had the ceiling shot in the mid 70's/early 80's and I don't know if the ceiling contains asbestos or not. I'm getting it fixed up to rent with option to buy. Is it my duty to know if the acoustic contains asbestos or can I protect my mother and myself by just selling "as is" no warranties expressed or implied while it is in the rent stage and upon exercise of the option by the tenant ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I think maybe it is time for you to pay a lawyer to explain it all to you. You have legal questions, you ask a lawyer, not strangers on the internet

Old 05-26-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think maybe it is time for you to pay a lawyer to explain it all to you. You have legal questions, you ask a lawyer, not strangers on the internet
Perhaps shortly in the future. Doing some reading in between OP and now. I'm playing with dynamite. If you have asbestos ceilings do yourself a favor and have them removed professionally if you plan to rent/sell.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:45 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,403,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If you have asbestos ceilings do yourself a favor and have them removed professionally if you plan to rent/sell.
There you go. You're answering your own questions now.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:12 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,230 times
Where I come from, Long Island, NY, at least 25% of the houses here are sold with those ceilings. They're common with mid-century tract homes. A ceiling with asbestos is perfectly safe, as long as it's not disturbed. You are allowed to paint it, but it's illegal to cover it up with sheet rock or something (I checked this out fully).

I sent a sample off to a lab the other day, as a room with acoustic tiles has a broken light fixture. I need to know if it's safe to remove tiles and change the fixture.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:21 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,918,577 times
All the disclosure forms I have seen have a box for yes, no, and don't know. You can check don't know if you really don't know.

Now a real estate agent may tell you that having a don't know will be a caution flag for buyers. A real estate agent may advise you that it is better to get it tested so you can positively answer one way or the other and maybe pay for professional abatement.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:53 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,911,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
All the disclosure forms I have seen have a box for yes, no, and don't know. You can check don't know if you really don't know.

Now a real estate agent may tell you that having a don't know will be a caution flag for buyers. A real estate agent may advise you that it is better to get it tested so you can positively answer one way or the other and maybe pay for professional abatement.
True, but the first home inspection may tell him so, resulting in a loss of time. Consider carrying costs when reviewing options.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Any sensible buyer seeing a popcorn ceiling (and his/her realtor) will ask for an inspection, and to have it removed if it contains asbestos. Generally anything after about 1985 is OK, but you can't tell for sure without testing. One way or another you most likely to have to pay for it to be removed so best do it now. Buyers may shy away once it's disclosed and
even if no asbestos they will likely want it removed simply because it's no longer desirable.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:03 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,476 times
I did a lot of remodels and tested a lot of ceilings. I rarely found any with asbestos. The ones with asbestos were a cement based material that was sprayed on with something like a gunite gun. They dont look like your normal acoustic ceiling. not a bunch or little pellets on the ceiling. They looked like really rough cement. There was however asbestos in the joint compound and tape used on the drywall joints of almost every house built before 1980 that I worked on.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
There you go. You're answering your own questions now.
Yes, but then I just read this. See if this makes any sense:

Quote:
Where possible, don’t disturb asbestos. The conventional wisdom is that unless the asbestos material has begun to break down and enter the air, it is usually best to leave it alone and monitor it. This may mean that it simply may not make economic sense to do certain types of remodeling jobs.
The ceiling in my mother's house is fully intact. Then there is this:

Quote:
Encapsulate to cover popcorn ceiling
Three choices
1. removal (messy and expensive)
2. drywall over (expensive)
3. paint over (simplest and least expensive by far)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate