Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:32 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,503,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWasABigMistake View Post
Rent is skyrocketing in my area. Actually there is nothing to rent right now unless I go 25+ miles away from office. I was looking at that option.
You have to do the math. Remember that there are closing costs and when you ultimately sell, that 6% to the real estate agent is going to sting.

If the townhouse is $200k, you're looking at $4-5k in closing costs and $12k in real estate fees when you sell.

So, basically, if you only plan to live there for 2 years, remember that you'll be paying $16-17k plus mortgage.

In the short-term, renting almost always makes sense.

In this market, renting absolutely makes sense, even if rent is $400 higher a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:34 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
Quote:
DO middle schools have drug problems? really. This is a high rated school with test scores in the high 90's and rated 10 out of 10. What has this country come to if middle schools have drug problems
it depends on your neighborhood. The poster was just being sarcastic.

pretty much all 50 states have enhanced sentencing for drug use/dealing within 500-1000-1500 feet of a school. But y'know nobody said convicted drug dealers were the smartest.

http://sentencingproject.org/wp-cont...-Zone-Laws.pdf

I think you get MORE traffic at elementary schools... by middle school lotsa kids are on their own (walking, etc). 95% of kids are gone by 3pm, and they're only M-F... summers off...

My 2 cents - I wouldn't hesitate to buy a modern townhouse near a middle school... would have to think about it if it was a high school.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:16 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
If you're questioning this buy, so will the next potential buyers of your house. We certainly wouldn't consider that location no matter the price tag of the house.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 AM

455 posts, read 463,839 times
Two things. First go talk to neighbors. Find out how they feel about it. Second, I always advise my clients to do drive bys at various times of the day and night when they are still in the option period or while their offer is being considered. Never know when you'll hear the lonsome whistle of a train that will wake you up, or find that it's impossible to turn left out of the subdivision during one of the rush hours.

Of course, if school is out, you won't be able to see the traffic, so I'd listen more to the neighbors. Also, meeting them will tell you whether or not you want to live next to them.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:47 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I would never live near a school.
never never never

Old 05-31-2016, 01:49 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
A busy road bothers me more than the proximity to a school. My last townhouse was on a busy road, the same exact model that faced the quiet side of the development sold for over 10% more and a lot of the feedback I got was "I love it, I just wish it didn't face the busy road."

Old 05-31-2016, 02:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ross View Post
Two things. First go talk to neighbors. Find out how they feel about it. Second, I always advise my clients to do drive bys at various times of the day and night when they are still in the option period or while their offer is being considered. Never know when you'll hear the lonsome whistle of a train that will wake you up, or find that it's impossible to turn left out of the subdivision during one of the rush hours.

Of course, if school is out, you won't be able to see the traffic, so I'd listen more to the neighbors. Also, meeting them will tell you whether or not you want to live next to them.
This.

And for what it is worth, while there will be some buyers who will hesitate, there will be others with middle schoolers or soon-to-be middle schoolers who love the location.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:27 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
it depends on your neighborhood. The poster was just being sarcastic.

pretty much all 50 states have enhanced sentencing for drug use/dealing within 500-1000-1500 feet of a school. But y'know nobody said convicted drug dealers were the smartest.

http://sentencingproject.org/wp-cont...-Zone-Laws.pdf

I think you get MORE traffic at elementary schools... by middle school lotsa kids are on their own (walking, etc). 95% of kids are gone by 3pm, and they're only M-F... summers off...

My 2 cents - I wouldn't hesitate to buy a modern townhouse near a middle school... would have to think about it if it was a high school.
Our middle schools go from 9am-4pm.

We used to live in a neighborhood that had an elementary and middle school. We lived in the back of the neighborhood and there were other entrances we could go in and out of so it was ok. I would never have chosen to live close to either of the schools.

The middle school was on lock down a couple of times and the mayhem to get all 1100 kids picked up was ridiculous for the parents and the residents.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
My wife and I were looking for a SFH. However we are not seeing much in our budget and the ones we like will push us beyond our budget. We can afford something beyond our budget, we are very conservative and hence there is some room, but we rather not do it. From stopping us to get tempted into doing this, we decided we will just buy a 2- floor townhome. Its a little smaller than what we would like, but its a corner unit and only one room shares a wall. We have 2 almost school aged kids and this is in a great district.

There are two big problems we see:

1. Its next to a fairly busy road. Its not a main road but an arterial road but can get busy and there are no fences so I am slightly concerned about solicitation and crime (Although the neighborhood has been historically safe)
2. Its diagonally opposite a middle school. The school building is far away from the townhome but the boundary is just across the road.

Should we concerned about these two things?

We are hoping in few years we can save more and move to the SFH.
Many of your neighbors will have kids of all ages, since there's a school so close. Kids make a lot of noise.

I don't guess kids walk to school, any more. Otherwise, they'd be committing acts of vandalism or who knows what; middle school kids are the worst, they say.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
resell vaulle be great, everybody with kids wants to live by the school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate